hf1

where do I start?

My avatar
Rowesb
Clothie
Clothie

where do I start?

Postby Rowesb » Tue May 18, 2010 5:43 pm

ok, this will be my first almost daft question, I am not sure if I am putting this in the right section but here goes, (sorry if it is not)

After rather a lot of lurking I have decided that the way to start my cloth nappy addiction is to get 1 or 2 each of reliable sorts and see how I get on from there. (I will have a look at tickers next but I am 7 months pregnant with my 1st for those that haven't seen my intro :D )

DH is an old hand with babies (well 10 years ago), but only used disposables before, but I think I have convinced him that it is worth trying cloth, I on the other hand am not, so I think my idea is to use disposables for the first few weeks until we get the hang of the baby thing, use vouchers up and get my freebies iykwim.

So, which ones should I look at and what size, I am thinking that by the time that I get onto cloth newborn sizes may be a bit pointless, but am probably going to convince DH more on the BTP and AIO versions... due to longevity and easiness (I think, but could be wrong so am fully open to suggestions :idea:

My avatar
rhead
Cloth Nappy Passionata
Cloth Nappy Passionata

Re: where do I start?

Postby rhead » Tue May 18, 2010 7:50 pm

:idea: Congratulations! I used sposies on both of mine for the first few weeks, while I got back on my feet and to avoid needing newborn nappies (terries puzzle me :giggle:). For Lucas, we bought a size 1 Little Lambs kit, and I really liked them - velcro so very easy to get to grips with, and we squeezed him into them until he was about 9 months old, then bought a dozen nippa Bumbles, which saw him through to PLing. We never had "night nappies", I didn't even know there was such a thing, and he was (I now know) quite a light wetter so it was never a problem!

With Lili we branched out a tiny bit more but still mostly had Little Lambs (cotton for days and bamboo for nights) and Bamboozles, and a few other odd ones... until she moved into size 2. Then I discovered CNT, and pockets, and bamboo velour, and convinced myself that it was OK to spend more than £6 apiece on a nappy. :oops:

I still think LLs and Tots Bots are good choices for size 1 (we liked Nature Babies and Mother-ease wraps), but there are an awful lot of other brands out there (many prettier/fancier), not to mention pockets... I never really got on with PUL pockets but most people really seem to like Bumgenius, they're a good way to go for a BTP option, and Blueberries and Wee notions are lovely. I'm sure you'll get dozens of suggestions :giggle: Buying a variety and seeing what takes your fancy sounds like a great way of doing it - happy shopping!

My avatar
Caroline
Cloth Nappy Aficionado
Cloth Nappy Aficionado

Postby Caroline » Tue May 18, 2010 8:21 pm

My recommendations would be bumgenius flip or one size, Thirsties and Motherease Sandys. These have worked really well with both of my 2 (a girl and a boy) and its never felt like hard work tbh. From DH's point of view he loves the Bumgenius and doesnt understand why people dont just buy 20 of the one size and be done with it!

Do you have a local nappy agent/council scheme where you could hire a kit first to see what you get along with?

My avatar
monsterm
Cloth Nappy Worshipper
Cloth Nappy Worshipper

Postby monsterm » Tue May 18, 2010 8:24 pm

I love Little Lambs. You can't go wrong with the bamboo ones. Motherease wraps are bomb proof. Bumgenius are a very handy onesize pocket.

Too tired to think of anymore.

My avatar
emmajayne33
Cloth Nappy Worshipper
Cloth Nappy Worshipper

Postby emmajayne33 » Tue May 18, 2010 8:30 pm

I'd choose size one little lambs for fitteds and bumgenius for pockets. Also check out the classifieds here, you might be able to pick up a few bargains. I am so pleased I never committed to buying a birth to potty set of one brand. I just picked up lots of pre loved nappies and slowly worked out what works best for us :)

My avatar
lazylexis
Cloth Nappy Worshipper
Cloth Nappy Worshipper

Postby lazylexis » Tue May 18, 2010 9:21 pm

I'm glad i didn't pick just one brand too.we liked little lambs and sandys when ds was little and used motherease wraps.dh likes pockets as they are more daddy friendly and uses greenkids and bumgenius but at the mo we can't seem to get a good fit with the bumgenius as we get builders bum on the medium rise and leg gape on the large!
I did a babykind nappy trial which helped and tried some preloved nappies and sold on the ones i didn't like.

My avatar
little1
Cloth Nappy Nutter
Cloth Nappy Nutter

Postby little1 » Wed May 19, 2010 11:56 pm

we mostly used little lamb bamboos with a wrap at night and bumgenius AIO in xs or small for daytime for the first few months. We also recently found bamboo pop in nappies, these are great to hold in explosive BF poop as they have leg gussets.

This week i've just bought some of the new totsbots stretch nappies and they are super soft and squishy so i think they would be more comfortable (and less weeble like) than little lambs on a small baby :)

My avatar
helenNt
Cloth Nappy Nutter
Cloth Nappy Nutter

Postby helenNt » Thu May 20, 2010 6:06 am

I started with Tots bots as that is what we could get through the council scheme - definitely check out what is available in your area.

We found them too bulky but then ds was premmie and I found it a struggle when we started putting him in outfits rather than sleepsuits to be able to get fit them under his small clothes. But they are good nappies and you won't hve the clothing issue if you use wool shorties or longies.

I gave up for a few months we had to move house at short notice as our landlord was being repossessed but once I was back on my feet from the move we bought some bumgenius (normal ans organic aio) and haven't looked back. I found these to be great and very reliable and they are still the ones I reach most for from the nappies we have.

There is a birth to potty nappy that is new called rumparooz (sp?) and has it has an additional gusset it is supposed to be good for the explosive newborn poos.

Oh and now we are using pockets in the day and fitteds and pul/wool at night. I think it was my inexperience that put me off fitteds when we first started but now appreciate that they are very absorbent and quite bombproof.

Enjoy your fluff buying

My avatar
megansmummy
Cloth Nappy Goddess
Cloth Nappy Goddess

Postby megansmummy » Thu May 20, 2010 6:12 am

We started with little lambs, motherease sandies, thirsties fab fitteds, kissaluvs with Kieren and we used goodmamas from 7 weeks or so (they are a one size fitted and i absolutly love them, i can honistly say they will fit him until potty trainning. As for wraps i love motherease airflows.

With my little girl i used bumgenuis from birth and i loved them, i only bought 15 white ones and was very happy with them :) added a few pink when they bought those out too :) But we started getting constant leaks at about 8 months and noth we tried worked...they also didnt fit her past about 14/15 months so they were not a birth to potty option for us.

Next

Return to Cloth Nappy Chat