hf1

Tesco not v positive about cloth...

My avatar
eviesmummy
Cloth Nappy Ninky Nonk
Cloth Nappy Ninky Nonk

Tesco not v positive about cloth...

Postby eviesmummy » Fri Feb 29, 2008 1:23 pm

... in their mums choice supplement that came through my door this morning. They have a few pages at the back saying just how 'green' their panel is, but when it comes to disposable nappies they had this to say

'Nappies are an area where parents find it harder to compromise: 84% of our members are wedded to using disposable nappies rather than supposedly more eco-friendly washable reuseable kind (dont forget that all the hot water and detergent that goes in the washing machine has a considerable environmental impact too). In our time poor society this is just more thing - like the motor car - that most of us just cant imagine living without. Well, not yet anyway'.

What a pile of cr*p they spout - it comes down to money at the end of the day and they wouldnt be making any from their disposables if they were positive about cloth! In saying that, it shows that 16% of their panel are using cloth - surprised me that it was so high! Another bloody thing I will find myself defending using cloth nappies over!

Sadie xx

My avatar
Rae
Cloth Nappy Wise Woman
Cloth Nappy Wise Woman

Re: Tesco not v positive about cloth...

Postby Rae » Fri Feb 29, 2008 1:32 pm

I read that too. Not surprised that this is the way that Tesco's has decided to go with this issue.

My avatar
mabo
Cloth Nappy Fanatic
Cloth Nappy Fanatic

Postby mabo » Fri Feb 29, 2008 1:37 pm

Tesco isnt really about being 'green'. They are all about making money. We have one huge Tesco Extra here in Reading. We also have a big Sainsbury's and Asda on the other sides of town, but just last week they have opened yet another huge Extra nearby. :shock:

I've seen they stock some Kushies too, but they are no-where near as eco-friendly as eg Waitrose.

My avatar
Annette
Cloth Nappy Ninky Nonk
Cloth Nappy Ninky Nonk

Postby Annette » Fri Feb 29, 2008 1:38 pm

Well we know that they are in the pockets of Pampers and Huggies and as they wouldn't get the same repeat business from reusables then I can see that it is going to take alot to ever get a major supermarket to be positive about cloth :x
16% isn't bad though eh? I bet that is rising all the time.

My avatar
nic1
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox

Postby nic1 » Fri Feb 29, 2008 2:31 pm

Cr*p isn't it when they spout a load of tosh :roll: :evil: :shock: :roll: :evil: :shock:

My avatar
Jandy
Clothie
Clothie

Postby Jandy » Fri Feb 29, 2008 2:37 pm

I got that leaflet too .... and I've sent them an email about it.
Jane

My avatar
Louise
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox

Postby Louise » Fri Feb 29, 2008 2:58 pm

I got the leaflet too. It makes me really angry that they make it seem like using cloth is so difficult/time consuming. :evil: How dare they imply that cloth nappies have anywhere near the same environmental impact as disposables :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: I definitely agree that it is all about making money. In their baby and toddler magazines there are always adverts for Pampers, Huggies etc and they are always sending me money off vouchers.

Charliemum wrote:16% isn't bad though eh? I bet that is rising all the time.

I'm one of them! :wink: However they have never asked me to test any products/ do any surveys because I don't use disposable nappies, formula milk or jars/packets of baby food!! :D

My avatar
bryc1
Sucker for Cloth Nappies
Sucker for Cloth Nappies

Postby bryc1 » Fri Feb 29, 2008 3:07 pm

Another one who got the leaflet and was madden by it. I also didn't like the fact that there big prize was a years supply of pampers. Why is it there is never good prizes for us that use cloth nappies, BF, make our own food etc. Grr.

My avatar
JennyWren
Cloth Nappy Lover
Cloth Nappy Lover

Postby JennyWren » Fri Feb 29, 2008 3:58 pm

What absolute twaddle and how maddening and misleading. I've long been avoiding shopping at Tesco. I just got a sense a while back that they were very ungreen - like you say, exclusively disposable nappies, lots of dodgy packaging, stuff air transported from far flung corners, huge shops everywhere putting smaller shops out of business. They're everywhere you turn in Cornwall. At least Sainsbury's are making some moves towards more biodegradable packaging etc. and Waitrose at least stock cloth.
I think it was that documentary about Tesco exploiting the sugar snap pea workers in Kenya that first got me enraged but now I am even more enraged!!!!

Next

Return to Cloth Nappy Chat