hf1

How much do you think your stash is worth?

My avatar
50ftQueenie
Cloth Nappy Aficionado
Cloth Nappy Aficionado

Re: How much do you think your stash is worth?

Postby 50ftQueenie » Sat Jun 05, 2010 12:43 pm

Louise wrote:
rachel wrote:Those figures make me feel a little better Tory...thanks! :giggle: :wink:

Also we'll get a fair bit of the money we've spent back once we sell them all on (unlike with disps.) I'll probably get back about 2/3 of what I have spent. ( probably about £2000 :oops: :oops: :shock: )

:giggle: :giggle: That is EXACTLY my justification! :D

My avatar
peachy.moo
Cloth Nappy Fanatic
Cloth Nappy Fanatic

Postby peachy.moo » Sat Jun 05, 2010 12:48 pm

Last time i checked i think i'd spent about £800 after taking into account what i've sold etc...!

Not gonna make that back on it & got another year at least in nappies yet.... :-?

My avatar
beffys
Cloth Nappy Disciple
Cloth Nappy Disciple

Postby beffys » Sat Jun 05, 2010 3:01 pm

There's equity in reuseable nappies though. I bought Ella a trike with part of the last batch of day fitted I sold. Next LO I'll build up another stash. Disposables are like burning money, while creating waste. It's the waste that always got to me and it's like I was having to pay for the privilege of filling something with poo just to throw it out. Cloth nappies appeal to the consumer in me too and the WAHM ethic of working and living. I hated putting poo and pee filled paper / plastic nappies in the bin with all the other rubbish. No idea how it works out in terms of what you pay for washing them, but it's one or two more loads of washing a week, which isn't really very much even long term.

My stash is invaluable to me more because it got me into using wool, dyeing fabrics, even sewing and all these natural fabrics I love so much. :wink: It's all Hanna's fault when I asked her advice and started with a small stash of organic cotton tots bots. :giggle: Mine's probably not worth that much. Less than £400 probably. We still have a fair few pockets left and a reasonable amount of night fitteds. I have some medium BBSS stashed away for next LO that I didn't want to sell on, though I'm starting to think maybe I just should and replace again when the time comes.

My avatar
gilbertandmartha
Cloth Nappy Aficionado
Cloth Nappy Aficionado

Postby gilbertandmartha » Sat Jun 05, 2010 3:07 pm

I reckon mine is worth about 400, and thats for both of them. Although I have spent a far lot more than that, but I've sold a lot on too.

My avatar
Miss_Purple
Cloth Nappy Aficionado
Cloth Nappy Aficionado

Postby Miss_Purple » Sat Jun 05, 2010 3:22 pm

I reckon my nappies are worth approx £600 at the prices I paid for them (some are new, some preloved) and my wool stash (pre-BBM :oops: ) is about £400, plus then about another £300 for BBM goodies - so around £1,300 in total :shock:

I have bought and sold lots though, and mainly buy preloved so it'd be worth more than that for insurance purposes! I didn't actually buy any nappies during BBM, and I am including all my WAHM clothing in that total as that tends to have a resale value, unlike most high street bought clothing.

Since getting into wool I have pretty much stopped buying any high street baby clothes (apart from t-shirts) and I also wash less, so there is an offset there, plus I haven't bought myself any clothes since having DD as I still haven't lost all my pregnancy weight, so I know that I am spending on her instead of spending on myself so it's about more than just the value of the nappies or clothes iyswim? Would never tell DH how much I'd spent though, he'd think I was nuts :oops: :doh:

I have also rediscovered my sewing machine so i'm going to make DD some suntops and dresses, and have just bought some sock wool to try making myself some socks too - so it's now become about so much more than just nappies!
That's what I keep telling myself anyway! :hohoho:

P.S. - Rachel, thanks for asking this, I'd been thinking about doing it for ages but wasn't sure if anyone would admit it or not! :giggle:

My avatar
victoriaw
Cloth Nappy Addict
Cloth Nappy Addict

Postby victoriaw » Sat Jun 05, 2010 3:37 pm

About £200 I reckon.... I don't think there is any need to actually work it out properly is there...? Yep, definitely about £200... if that... probably nearer £100...

My avatar
rachel
Cloth Nappy Passionata
Cloth Nappy Passionata

Postby rachel » Sat Jun 05, 2010 3:52 pm

I do keep saying that I will recoup a lot of the value and then able to buy other things for Evie and Oli.
Annika - It's been somthing I've wondered about for ages too...espcially when I saw what people were spending in BBM :shock:
I sometimes worry when I put nappies on the line that they might get stolen, but then I think nobody where I live would have the first clue about how valuable they are; price or sentimentally :wink:

My avatar
JanX
Cloth Nappy Aficionado
Cloth Nappy Aficionado

Postby JanX » Sat Jun 05, 2010 5:16 pm

I have no idea :hohoho:

Over the last 5 years I have bought and sold so many nappies I haven't got a clue!

For ds1 I only had a basic stash, it was fitteds and wraps for the first 6 months and then we moved into fuzzi bunz pockets. I had no WAHM nappies for him and no expensive ones. At a very rough guess his entire stash from birth to potty was prob around £200 ish... All those were sold on as and when he outgrew them (back when pre-loved nappies still sold for a great price), I probably got about £150 of that back when I sold them.

The girls? well basic stash wise (so newborn fitteds and wraps and fuzzis) I would guess at around £350ish.. Add to that the 'show off' pockets I had for them over 2 summers (probably around 20 nappies at approx £15 each average) comes to around £300, a few wooly pieces - around £50ish and my blueberry addiction :giggle: cost me in the region of £150ish. Oh size 2 fitteds (jimmy riddles, flutterbys & wee notions) probably about £150ish again

so around £1200 for all 3 of my babies from birth to potty.. Approx the amount 1 of them would have cost me in sposies... Not to mention all the fun involved in the buying and selling :wink:

Out of that £1200, I most probably would have back around £800 from selling them on...

Bargain if you ask me

Jan xx

My avatar
lazylexis
Cloth Nappy Worshipper
Cloth Nappy Worshipper

Postby lazylexis » Sat Jun 05, 2010 7:26 pm

I don't even want to add it up!

PreviousNext

Return to Cloth Nappy Chat