hf1

Flip disposable inserts

My avatar
beffys
Cloth Nappy Disciple
Cloth Nappy Disciple

Flip disposable inserts

Postby beffys » Mon Jun 07, 2010 9:24 pm

Ok we are going to my brother's wedding and even though we're taking the train, I'm not using disposables. Ella hasn't had a disposable on her bum since she was 4 months old and I'm not starting now.

I'm wondering though about using disposable flip inserts with our pockets. They are pretty cheap and look pretty good compared to hemp and fleece inserts (for travelling I mean), are Oeko-Tek certified and made up of natural fibres. Then we just need 2-3 night nappies and the outer pockets, which I could hand wash really easily so long as not dirty and won't take up a lot of space that way as we are only away 2 night.

Has anyone used disposable flip inserts? I quite like the whole idea of the flip nappy anyway, but don't want to buy any more new nappies really until we have another LO. Seems the best option. DH says I should buy a pack of sposies, but yeah well, not going to happen. I'm going to make a huge point of showing off her cloth nappies. :twisted:

What do people think? I have a feeling this is a close as anyone could get me to using disposable nappies again. Wonder if I'd get away with 18 inserts. It's kind of 3 days really as Friday Morning to Sunday Night by the time we'd get back.

Should say as well that they are unbleached, dye-free, lead-free, PVC-free, phthalate-free, fragrance-free and latex-free. No plastic. No adhesives. So they're kind of winning my approval I think. :giggle:

Why aren't all disposables like that!?

Disposable Flip Inserts - 18 Pack £3.95

Flip Disposable and Biodegradable Inserts Oeko-Tex Certified

FLIP DISPOSABLES AVAILABLE HERE NOW!

Flip disposable is a one-size, fragrance free and dye free disposable option for the Flip nappy. The Flip Nappy Disposable insert is the only disposable nappy to achieve Oeko-Tex certification which means it has been found to pose no risk to health whatsoever. Flip disposable Inserts are easy to use, simply place the insert inside the flip nappy cover and change as you would normally. The flip disposable is designed for travel, nursery, and those moments when life demands something disposable. This really is a breakthrough for disposable nappies, the flip disposable is just 22 pence per insert which is considerably cheaper than any other eco-disposables on the market which are only up to 70-80% biodegradable. This pack contains 18 Flip Disposable inserts.

So what is the Flip Disposable Insert made of? - Non-woven bamboo viscose 5g, wood pulp 14-15g, SAP 3g and starch based glue 1g.

My avatar
little1
Cloth Nappy Nutter
Cloth Nappy Nutter

Re: Flip disposable inserts

Postby little1 » Mon Jun 07, 2010 10:10 pm

Hi, i've got some of these and use them whenever we go away on hols, i use them in the flip wraps, they're suprisingly absorbant and last my 5 month old 3hrs no probs. I use 2 inserts together at night.

I'm off on hols next week and am taking 6 inserts for each day (inc 2 for night). The only downside of the flip wraps is the inserts aren't quite wide enough for poops so some goes on the inside of the cover where the inserts don't reach iykwim, i just put a paper liner in underneath the insert to stop this.

Overall I like them, i also use the flip wrap over fitteds, or with a prefold in and have even used it as a swim nappy so i think if you did end up getting any wraps they could get used for more than trips away.

My avatar
beffys
Cloth Nappy Disciple
Cloth Nappy Disciple

Postby beffys » Mon Jun 07, 2010 10:28 pm

Cool by the sounds of it 1 pack would be plenty so I've bought one to try (plus a travel potty / toilet seat) for the hotel rooms. I think I'm going to take 2-3 night nappies with me though and a wet bag. Just need to work out the best (nicest) pockets to take now, so hope they fit reasonably well in them.

My avatar
megansmummy
Cloth Nappy Goddess
Cloth Nappy Goddess

Postby megansmummy » Tue Jun 08, 2010 5:31 am

Beth im thinking of doing the same for our holiday too...i normally back down and take sposies but i really dont want to do that...will be watching out for your update when you get back!

My avatar
Caroline
Cloth Nappy Aficionado
Cloth Nappy Aficionado

Postby Caroline » Tue Jun 08, 2010 6:32 am

I have some disposable inserts coming this week. I havent tried them myself yet but was going to test as a holiday possibility.

My avatar
beffys
Cloth Nappy Disciple
Cloth Nappy Disciple

Postby beffys » Tue Jun 08, 2010 10:57 am

I might try one out on a trip outside to see how we go first before. What's handy is I should be able to prestuff the pockets like I do with any old insert. I got some biodegradable nappy bags too so can get rid of the used inserts and also got some bamboo wipes that look really great, like ordinary wipes, cept made from bamboo so basically fabric based, biodegradable and no alcohols, perfumes, chemicals, lanolin, etc (not that I mind a bit of lanolin ;) ).

I'm such a tube though. I'm going to make such a big fuss about using cloth nappies, etc in front of my whole family. :giggle: :oops: They need to be re-educated to understand that disposables aren't that convenient considering the trade off. There's much better alternatives, even for a journey away. :hohoho: With a bit of luck though I could convert my SIL to be so that when she has kids she uses cloth. She has a thing for handbags and shoes, which I think could translate well to fluff. :giggle: :wine:

My avatar
Bobble
Cloth Nappy Follower
Cloth Nappy Follower

Postby Bobble » Tue Jun 08, 2010 1:02 pm

I'd love to hear how absorbant the disposable inserts are. I've used the organic cotton inserts and they're not absorbant enough for us without doubling up and adding bulk. The disposables would be useful for travel tho.

The wipes sound interesting - where are they from?

I could convert my SIL to be so that when she has kids she uses cloth. She has a thing for handbags and shoes, which I think could translate well to fluff. :giggle:

She shows a lot of potential - I speak from experience :giggle:

My avatar
beffys
Cloth Nappy Disciple
Cloth Nappy Disciple

Postby beffys » Tue Jun 08, 2010 1:17 pm

My avatar
rhiannon
Cloth Nappy Lover
Cloth Nappy Lover

Postby rhiannon » Tue Jun 08, 2010 1:32 pm

I am going to order a flip soon for ds to try before he goes to playgroup, if they work well with him at night might get him out of sposies then.. here's hoping!

Return to Cloth Nappy Chat