hf1

Australian & American nappies

My avatar
Little Pants
Cloth Nappy Nutter
Cloth Nappy Nutter

Australian & American nappies

Postby Little Pants » Thu Mar 06, 2008 12:14 pm

I've come to the conclusion that part of the reason we have such a love affair with nappies from the other side of the world is language. There's a link on here for European nappies, but most of the European nappy sites, if you go direct to them, are in a foreign language, so we don't know about them. It's easy to find out about American, Canadian and Australian nappies, because we know what words to look for on Google or whatever, but it seems there are lots of European ones which are just as good, but not imported thousands of miles, so more environmentally friendly.

Then there's also the VAT problem, as VAT is charged on nappies in lots of other countries in Europe, but we are exempt, so the prices on the foreign web sites look really expensive. If we buy from them direct fro Europe, we can't claim it back, because of the EEC rules, but if they're imported by someone who is VAT registered, they don't have to pay, so if we buy from them, neither do we.

I really believe we should be thinking about environmental damage done by shipping nappies thousands of miles. I know some people don't buy cloth for environmental reasons, but whatever the breason, there are lots of lovely European nappies (and of course better still UK ones)

If you speak any European language, try searching for sites by using a foreign language, and you come up with all sorts. :?:

Has anyone tried any European made nappies which aren't generally known about, and what did you think of them?

I quote from the link "Think about Nappy Miles" . It's a good one! :mrgreen:

Sorry! That was a bit of an epistle, but I just thought I'd get it off my chest!! :oops:

My avatar
Annette
Cloth Nappy Ninky Nonk
Cloth Nappy Ninky Nonk

Re: Australian& American nappies

Postby Annette » Thu Mar 06, 2008 1:21 pm

I can see your point. I think Giselle has bought a few European nappies and browsed a few French sites - it does help when you can speak the language :wink: . I do feel guilty about importing from abroad and try to limit it and tbh most of my recent purchases have been UK produced so that is even better than European, my new Green Kids were probably my worst buy being Australian, but I did purchase from a UK retailer so they were shipped over in bulk.

However, just to put another twist on things - one problem is sourcing fabric, and I know that even UK manufacturers have to source fabrics from abroad (as presumably do European makers too), we just don't have the industry here anymore and so is it really better to have the maker import the fabric and make it here or ship the nappies in ready made?? Just playing devil's advocate, but trying to be environmentally friendly is not always as clear cut as you initially think it is.

My avatar
oldhippy
Clothie
Clothie

Postby oldhippy » Thu Mar 06, 2008 2:40 pm

I have been told that it is actually better that the nappies are made abroad, as when making the nappy 15 - 18% is waste due to the cutting pattern, and if made where the fabric is from they recycle the waste fabric back to yarn to make more nappies. So just because the nappies are made in the U.K. it does not mean their carbon footprint is less than an E.U. sourced nappy as it is highly likely the fabric has been imported and the waste just discarded. a EU sourced nappy therefore could be more enviro friendly than a UK made one.

My avatar
Pinchette
Cloth Nappy Fanatic
Cloth Nappy Fanatic

Postby Pinchette » Thu Mar 06, 2008 2:54 pm

Ooooh, me me me me !!!

I often browse on french and belgian sites. I've tried one made made by a french WAHM They're called maman-pelican (I've actually put one up for sale in the nappy market section :wink: :oops: ).
So if anyone needs helps with the french speaking countries I can help. Just google "couches lavables" in google.fr and if you see something you fancy, feel free to ask. You can also click on the translate button when your google search comes up with a list of sites.
I've also browsed on spanish sites but so far I've only found well-known brands like fuzzies and bumgenius.

My avatar
Little Pants
Cloth Nappy Nutter
Cloth Nappy Nutter

Postby Little Pants » Thu Mar 06, 2008 3:29 pm

I see your point about fabrics, but The States imports bamboo from Asia, then makes nappies out of it, and then sells them to UK, so it's shipped twice. Australia the same. At least ifg it's imported into UK or Europe, it's only going one way!
Unfortunately there aren't any fabrics made in UK any more except for wool. I did look at linen at one stage, but apparently even Irish Linen is no longer made on Ireland!

My avatar
nic1
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox

Postby nic1 » Thu Mar 06, 2008 4:07 pm

I only buy UK based nappies unless they are preloved from the US originally...i have yet to buy any nappy from the US or anywhere else for that matter from further a field than in the UK.

My avatar
Rae
Cloth Nappy Wise Woman
Cloth Nappy Wise Woman

Postby Rae » Thu Mar 06, 2008 4:09 pm

Then maybe we should look to see if there are any WAHMs in turkey, as that can be thought of as Europe (broadly speaking) and they also make bamboo fabric.

My avatar
angelwingz
Cloth Nappy Follower
Cloth Nappy Follower

Postby angelwingz » Thu Mar 06, 2008 7:21 pm

I think it would be really impossible to buy a nappy that hasn't done any miles, whether its the fabric, the PUL or even little things like snaps or lastin. Nappy miles is not something that i worry about as I'm already doing my bit for the environment.

Return to Cloth Nappy Chat