My avatar
cochineal
Clothie
Clothie

trouble staying put

Postby cochineal » Wed Jun 09, 2010 7:50 pm

hi all,
I need help!

My daughter is 2yrs and 3 months, and likes to take her clothes off. Initially it wasn't too much of a problem, I put her in dungarese, but she has now learned how to get out of those too. I made her some that did up at the back so she couldn't reach the buttons, but she has now found a way out of those too. The only things that stay on are dresses with small buttons at the back, or tops, if I leave her reins on over the top.

It has now progressed to taking off her nappy too. She's not interested in using the potty, despite knowing when she is about to wee, she just stubbornly refuses and squats and wees. So what am I to do? I need a nappy wrap that she cannot undo. I sew so any patterns, idea's or recomendations would be very gratefully received! I've got a 3 week old too, so really don't have the energy for mopping up her wee all day long.

coch

My avatar
Bobble
Cloth Nappy Follower
Cloth Nappy Follower

Re: trouble staying put

Postby Bobble » Wed Jun 09, 2010 9:36 pm

Hi there

Congrats on the new baby and :hug: for the toddler/new baby combo... Wonderful and so trying at the same time.

I don't know whether this will help, but have you considered putting her in training pants and lots of encouragement on the big girl/big sister thing? If she knows she needs to wee she may be ready to pt. I know it's not a great time with a new baby and all, but if they're absorbant enough, it may help with the wet floors? Just a thought.

Good luck! xxx

My avatar
choccylisa
Cloth Nappy Aficionado
Cloth Nappy Aficionado

Postby choccylisa » Thu Jun 10, 2010 6:55 am

:hug: :hug: I have something similar with my now 3 year old dd! She knows she's going but is too lazy/won't bother to tell me. I've bought a reward chart and we're using that to encourage her. A friend of mine is using chocolate buttons, one chocolate button for every wee she does on the potty, although I'd prob say a fav snack food rather than buttons, bit easier to remove them after a while! I used the reward chart with my ds1, when he got to 20 (which took a couple of days!) he got a treat of his choice, either a day out or a small toy like a car etc. Maybe when she gets to 50 a DVD. Also have you tried a special book while she's on the potty, one of her fav characters books that's just for potty time.

Another idea is (if you have a downstairs cloakroom) is use food dye in the loo :giggle: When they wee it turns a different colour - blue turns green! Or my sister used to use glitter, makes it pretty for a girl. Anything to make it fun, and make them want to do it.

Hope something there helps. Good luck, must be so hard with a newborn too. At least she's eager not to have a nappy on, my dd is eager to not take it off :roll:

My avatar
cochineal
Clothie
Clothie

Postby cochineal » Thu Jun 10, 2010 9:08 am

we tried potty training at the weekend in the garden, and tuesday we tried a sweet if she sat on the potty. But she won't sit down by herself, if i pop her on she doesn't stay there long enough to get a sweet in to her mouth, let alone look at a book! And yes we have tried demonstrating! Myself, daddy, big sister, new baby and favourite dog have all sat on the potty and had a sweet.

I like the food colouring idea, I might do it just for fun when we have house guests!

My avatar
choccylisa
Cloth Nappy Aficionado
Cloth Nappy Aficionado

Postby choccylisa » Thu Jun 10, 2010 1:36 pm

:giggle: Having visitors is always fun with food dye! Sounds like you really do have your hands full. Unfortunately I think the only thing to do is persevere. How long has she been pt-ing for? Although using the garden is a good idea, maybe in your case it's not as it means she wants to run round inside and do the same thing. Routine is usually the best thing for them, have you been trying something different every day or have you tried one thing for four days on the trot? Obviously with a newborn you don't really want to be running round with a potty after her. Supernanny springs to mind :giggle: Sorry I'm not much help.

My avatar
shoogah01
Sucker for Cloth Nappies
Sucker for Cloth Nappies

Postby shoogah01 » Thu Jun 10, 2010 1:48 pm

I had the same problem with DS when we were PTing him. he refused to sit on the potty no matter what we did, we later discovered that the potty was really uncomfortable for him because he had long legs and the potty was too small for his bum :giggle: we tried loads of different ones but they were all the same
we eventually gave up on that and bought him a cushioned training toilet seat with his favourite character on it and took him out of nappies on a friday night both morning and night and he was PTd by the monday morning :wine:

My avatar
Shaunie
Cloth Nappy Worshipper
Cloth Nappy Worshipper

Postby Shaunie » Thu Jun 10, 2010 1:54 pm

DS1 refused to sit on a potty then as shoogah01 just said, we realised that it was difficult for him to get on it because of his very long slim legs (like mine :pinocchio: ) so got him a potty chair, which he chose and was fine ever since. He also refuses to use a training seat on the loo, prefers to hang on for dear life :roll:

Food colour / glitter sounds fab.....wonder if Dh would notice if I did it here just for fun :giggle:

My avatar
cochineal
Clothie
Clothie

Postby cochineal » Thu Jun 10, 2010 8:17 pm

saturday and sunday we spent in the garden - was unsuccessful, so had monday off and tuesday and wednesday I tried sweets. Last night I discovered that she can't take her nappy off if I put the wrap on backwards, today she has just been really really naughty, so I didn't even bother to try.

I hadn't thought that she might not be comfortable on her potty. I'm in no rush to potty train, it really isn't great timing with the new baby around, so I think I'll just carry on with backwards wraps for as long as it works and then take her out to choose a potty she likes. She might just be playing up because of the baby, so perhaps if we leave it a bit she'll co-operate more (wishful thinking!)

Am still going to buy some food dye though, my hubby is very anti-glitter though (because it gets EVERYWHERE), so I daren't go there!

Return to Cloth Nappy Chat