hf1

What to make/buy for a first stash?

My avatar
Citrus
Cloth Nappy Lover
Cloth Nappy Lover

Re: What to make/buy for a first stash?

Postby Citrus » Fri Jun 11, 2010 2:13 pm

LLs seem to get a good write up from everyone then, and it does sound like a good idea to get them in several different fabrics so you can always some dry, even if it's not your favourite type. There are so many good tutorials online for making pockets and fitted, I feel quite confident about making both to try out, but mostly relying on terries while they're teeny. Hopefully then by the time they're a bit bigger I'll know which sorts suit us both best, and can make more before they get too wriggly for terry folds! :wink:

I do have a line and it's usually quite windy (I live up a big hill) so that helps, but it's also pretty wet here in winter (that's Wales for you!). I make lots of things already (http://citrusgirrl.livejournal.com)so it's actually exciting to have the challenge of something new! Plus making useful stuff is my favourite activity, and nappies are clearly a pretty major part of your kit with a LO.

Thanks again for the replies, it's really helping me to feel less clueless about it all!

Citrus xxx

My avatar
angelsquidge
Cloth Nappy Fanatic
Cloth Nappy Fanatic

Postby angelsquidge » Sun Jun 13, 2010 6:43 pm

Pockets you can make really cheaply from fleece if you're wanting to try out sizing etc, then you can move on to nicer fabrics like minkee etc once you've perfected them :)

I'd definitely get some muslins too to use in the very early days. Much thinner and quicker drying than terries and also slimmer and nicer on NB babies I think. When they're too small to use as nappies you've already got a stash of burp cloths lol!

My avatar
Citrus
Cloth Nappy Lover
Cloth Nappy Lover

Postby Citrus » Sun Jun 13, 2010 10:02 pm

Top tips, thank you! I was thinking muslins too, but neglected to mention them in the OP I think.

Would you use the fleece for the inside then? So you'd have outer layer, PUL, fleece inner, then whatever your insert was made of? I must confess I am still confused about the structure of different types. I'm planning fitteds with snap-in inserts, as I want everything to be as dismantle-able as possible for drying purposes, but there will clearly need to be some prototypes. Plus it's a pain not having a baby to try things out on in the meantime, but I'll feel better if I've got as much as possible together before they're here. Luckily FTB is leaving the nappy choices up to me, so I can play about as much as I like :wink:

xxx

My avatar
rachymoo
Cloth Nappy Addict
Cloth Nappy Addict

Postby rachymoo » Mon Jun 14, 2010 6:00 am

You can use fleece for the outer and inner - so there'd be the fleece outer, then the PUL, fleece inner, plus whichever inserts you would use in the pocket. I have a fleece pocket that was made by someone on here - 123princesssammie :) so might be worth asking her advice?

Rach xx

My avatar
rhiannon
Cloth Nappy Lover
Cloth Nappy Lover

Postby rhiannon » Mon Jun 14, 2010 7:52 am

It is nice to have homemade nappies I've made quite a few for my little boy. I second the little lamb's they're excellent nappies for a newborn and very reasonably priced. You could then make loads of pretty wraps to go over the top. I'd say snap in is a good choice too I'm near Cardiff so I understand the rain lol. Make a couple of each type because you'll find that as your baby gets older you might want to use different nappies as your everyday ones.

If you're worried about drying time bamboo might not be a good choice for lots of nappies it takes aaaages to dry.

My avatar
Citrus
Cloth Nappy Lover
Cloth Nappy Lover

Postby Citrus » Mon Jun 14, 2010 8:18 am

Rach - That sounds like a good plan, and I'll maybe get in touch with 123princesssammie for some tips :)

Rhiannon - I'm glad snap-in seems the right way to go (plus I really enjoy fitting snaps to things for some reason!) and I'll definitely be making a few types. Making things is awesome in that it means you can tweak things that aren't quite right, and I love gaining skills in new areas - gives me a lovely buzz :D I was thinking that bamboo might not be the way to go, which is a shame as it has such amazing properties. There have to be some sacrifices for living in such a beautiful country though :)

xxxx

My avatar
dawnsmummy
Cloth Nappy Ninky Nonk
Cloth Nappy Ninky Nonk

Postby dawnsmummy » Mon Jun 14, 2010 8:52 am

i live im rainy cumbria and use bamboo :giggle: i have the airer things that loop over the raidiator in the bathroom, so they can go 'on' the raidiator, without actually being ON it, iyswim?
a sz3 LL can dry in a night+half a day if i keep turning and shaking it :giggle:

My avatar
Citrus
Cloth Nappy Lover
Cloth Nappy Lover

Postby Citrus » Mon Jun 14, 2010 11:11 am

Ooo, that's worth knowing. I have those all over the house, as it's not the best house for drying things or being particularly warm. We should be moving into a new house next year, which I'm hoping will have some kind of room for airing things - you never know your luck, anyway!

xxx

My avatar
caz88
Cloth Nappy Follower
Cloth Nappy Follower

Postby caz88 » Mon Jun 14, 2010 12:04 pm

Hiya! Just thought I would add my few pennies worth...my daughter is 3 months old and we live in a flat with no tumble drier. I used muslins in the beginning and had about 25(you can use two or three at a time if required) with a fleece liner, and then discovered the nappy nippa which is so much better than a safety pin. I used fleece wraps over the top. Since they get changed so often that was enough and they dried instantly over the radiator.
Now we have little lambs in cotton which are fab, they dry faster than the bamboo (which I have one of). I also have a few pockets with microfibre inserts. If you used fleece for the inside layer and the outside you can do without the fleece liner but I found the liner was easier to clean so I used both. The AIO I have is the pop in dream dri and that is my fastest drying nappy, can almost use it straight out of the washing machine.
I also cut up a cheap fleece blanket I found in a second hand shop to make liners and some wipes out of which I found were softer than the flannels I also bought for wipes (but some people don't like fleece for wipes I think.)

If you want to borrow any for prototypes I can lend some to you...am very impressed as I can't make anything, although I am hoping to learn to knit! However, you may find all you need from the online patterns! Oh one last thing, some of the baby magazines have a little lamb voucher in the back and that is where I got my first little lamb from, so you may find that useful (I think it was pregnancy & birth magazine).

PreviousNext

Return to Cloth Nappy Chat