hf1

nappy organisation for hols...

My avatar
moo54
Cloth Nappy Groupie
Cloth Nappy Groupie

nappy organisation for hols...

Postby moo54 » Thu Jun 17, 2010 11:54 am

We're going on holiday on Sat (leaving about 11am) and I can't get my head around what to do with the nappies....

there is a washing machine in the place and an arier but no tumble drier so I'm not kidding myself and thinking I'm going to be able to be in full time cloth as it just won't dry and I'll prob have to do some normal washing too....so what I'm taking is -

for ds (26mths) and dd (7mths)

4 flip outers each, 10 flip inners, ep hemp, 3 packets of disposable inserts
half pack pampers for dd (using up from when she wore at night) - about 20
some pull ups for ds - about 20

I was planning on taking all the bg V3s I have (20) and all the EP boosters I have to boost for ds, but I'm wondering if that's too much - too many options/too many nappies??!! I want to use up the sposies for dd as she will outgrow soon and I don't trust anything but flips out and about for ds atm.

Plus I can't decide when to put my last wash on, should I wash on Sat mornig before we go and hang about the house, but this might be cutting it fine with a inpatient dp.... should I put dd in her usual nighttime combo of a flip on fri night - wash it and tumble/take it damp or use a sposie, what should the kids travel in - I'm thinking ds will get bored and sink juice in the car, dd is going to have to be carried in a sling (wicking??) and we are getting the ferry over the IOW so can't lug a big bag of all the nappy options around that I would like! :oops:

Maybe I'm just getting in a muddle over nothing and I should just put the kids in sposies on fri night and then until we get there?? But I don't want to use one more than I have to! Can somebody talk some sense into me??!

My avatar
angiepangie2809
Cloth Nappy Fanatic
Cloth Nappy Fanatic

Re: nappy organisation for hols...

Postby angiepangie2809 » Thu Jun 17, 2010 12:12 pm

right...for fear of getting my head bitten off for even suggesting this i am going to anyway because i dont feel that using cloth should ever have to cause any stress.

to make things easier on yourself...and if it was me i would use the disposables that you have left when you need to to make it easier on yourself.
certainly if you are having to travel long distances or for a long time i would go with the easy option of disposables when on the move to and from your destination.
i would also put lo's in disposables the night before i was traveling so that i could get all of the dirty cloth nappies washed and dried in time.

personaly i would take my bg's as they would fit both lo's and as they are pockets they would take less time to dry on an airer.

i have to say though that i will have 2 in cloth in the non too distant future and if i was going on holiday i would just use disposables for the time i was away.
i applaud you for not wanting to though hun. i think its fab that you dont want to in fact.
i personaly wont ever feel guilty if i have to use a disposable for some reason.....its a rare thing as far as i am concerned so i dont sweat over it.
whatever you decide to do it will be right for you and your family hun. do what you think will give you the most time to spend enjoying yourself with your family on holiday.
good luck :hug: :hug:

My avatar
moo54
Cloth Nappy Groupie
Cloth Nappy Groupie

Postby moo54 » Thu Jun 17, 2010 1:00 pm

Aw thanks :hug:

I think I will do my last at home nappy wash on fri night....and what I might do is take some bg outers as apparently I can put the flip inserts in them cos dd has minging poo and I don't want to washing them by hand if I don't have to :puke: (always wanted to use that, lol). I think my change bag is going to be pretty jammed when we are out and about all day with snacks/bibs and I'm pretty sure it can't fit 7-8 cloth nappies in! So I'll use the washable flip inserts in the house, use up my "small" sposies for getting there and out and about until they've gone and then start on my flip inserts. Sorted! :wine:

My avatar
coastal
Cloth Nappy Nutter
Cloth Nappy Nutter

Postby coastal » Thu Jun 17, 2010 4:03 pm

I'm going on holiday on Saturday too and am stressing about the nappy thing.
I think I'm going to resort to a disposable on the Friday night then put on the last load of nappies. I'll mainly be taking BGs too... reckon they will dry the quickest. The cottage owners have said they will set up a drying line, so I have somewhere to dry them - their daughter is a clothie, so they have been really helpful! :D
Other than that, I'm just resigned to having to use the occasional disposable if nappies (most likely the night nappies) aren't dry yet.

My avatar
Sally
Cloth Nappy Fanatic
Cloth Nappy Fanatic

Postby Sally » Thu Jun 17, 2010 5:25 pm

we travelled to france we didn't use any disposables as it meant buying some :giggle:
This is what we did did the last wash when she went to bed in her night nappy (one i wanted to take) hung the wet ones out in the house ready for when I came back,
packed a car back with nappies for journey and the wet bag with the night nappy that came of in the morning, with the normal packing were the rest of her nappies,
I took 17 fitteds 6 pockets the rest were fitted but I didn't use the pockets washed every 36 hours ish, and used pockets when we were running out,
would def use fluff on hol again :D

My avatar
takefu
Clothie
Clothie

Postby takefu » Thu Jun 17, 2010 8:25 pm

Sorry if I'm hijacking the thread, but we're going on hols soon and I have the same questions! Going to my mum's house in America, will be there 3 weeks, with washing machine and tumble dryer available. Full day's travel to get there, so do I use disposables for that day and just use the cloth when we get there? Any tips/hints? Have used cloth with two kids but have always bought sposies to go away with. This time around I really don't want to pay for more nappies, esp as I've been going a little crazy with the paypal... :wine:

My avatar
moo54
Cloth Nappy Groupie
Cloth Nappy Groupie

Postby moo54 » Fri Jun 18, 2010 11:04 am

I would say if I was flying then I'd defo use sposies...just imagine the strict American customs officers investigating the wet bag :giggle: Plus you don't get much hand allowance either!

You could always get a couple of flips for the way there and wash and use them on the way back? At least that way if you ever need sposies again your lo won't have grown out of them ifykwim.

My avatar
megansmummy
Cloth Nappy Goddess
Cloth Nappy Goddess

Postby megansmummy » Fri Jun 18, 2010 11:10 am

If you did want to avoid disposable nappies then you could try the BG flip disp inserts, im pretty sure you could use those in pockets/most wraps...they are pretty effective too...I have been testing some for peachy tots and im really impressed...they look like huge sanitary towels :giggle:

My avatar
Caroline
Cloth Nappy Aficionado
Cloth Nappy Aficionado

Postby Caroline » Fri Jun 18, 2010 12:15 pm

megansmummy wrote:If you did want to avoid disposable nappies then you could try the BG flip disp inserts, im pretty sure you could use those in pockets/most wraps...they are pretty effective too...I have been testing some for peachy tots and im really impressed...they look like huge sanitary towels :giggle:

I'm going to stuff one in a BG one size (v3 )later so I'll let you all know how I get on. And yes, they do look like sanitary towels :giggle:

Next

Return to Cloth Nappy Chat