hf1

Question for mummies with chubby babies!!

My avatar
beaubelle
Cloth Nappy Follower
Cloth Nappy Follower

Question for mummies with chubby babies!!

Postby beaubelle » Thu Jun 17, 2010 10:01 pm

Hi there!

My ds is 22 weeks and weighs 22 lbs now. He grew out of size one nappies at about 9 weeks :shock: and now some of his size 2s are looking a bit tight around the waist and legs... He has quite a blocky build anyway, so it's not all flab, but he does have incredibly chubby arms and legs!

Anyway, my question is, do babies normally slim down or grow into their fat ? Or am I destined to have to buy larger nappies in the not so distant future??!!!

(Btw, he's breastfed and has just started solids a week ago, so I don't think I'm overfeeding!!)

Thanks!

My avatar
Vicki
Cloth Nappy Addict
Cloth Nappy Addict

Re: Question for mummies with chubby babies!!

Postby Vicki » Thu Jun 17, 2010 10:06 pm

It depends - some chubby babies slim down once they start moving about, others are just chubby and stay chubby :giggle:

Vickix

My avatar
dawnsmummy
Cloth Nappy Ninky Nonk
Cloth Nappy Ninky Nonk

Postby dawnsmummy » Thu Jun 17, 2010 10:12 pm

Mine went almost right into 3-6 clothes at birth :oops: She's now 3 in Nov and in 5-6 clothing :oops: She HAS slimmed down a bit, but I didn't find she slimmed when she started walking. I think it's more that she's growing taller and being stretched out :giggle:
but all LO's are different. You might find yours slims down when he starts moving, he might not. :hug: :hug: though. We have had probs finding nappies too. A lot of the WAHM's do custom sizing though :wine:

My avatar
beffys
Cloth Nappy Disciple
Cloth Nappy Disciple

Postby beffys » Thu Jun 17, 2010 10:18 pm

Ella went from 98th centile weight down to about 75th centile in first 18-24 months, but stayed 50th centile for length / height.

My avatar
Rox
Cloth Nappy Passionata
Cloth Nappy Passionata

Postby Rox » Thu Jun 17, 2010 10:31 pm

Scarlett was always 85+ centile for weight but once she got moving she slimmed down a bit and happily sat on 50th which is where she still is now.

The only thing i did notice is that she had very chubby thighs, and still has chubby thighs now lol. But the rest of her like waist etc slimmed down.

Her mediums lasted her ages as she worked up the poppers and then back down a bit, only reason you'll find you switch to large really is for the rise, of if the nappy is especially small. Scarlett still has a couple of medium DnF's at 26months! Theyre a bit low in the rise now tho, but otherwise fit her hips/thighs etc just fine.

My avatar
monsterm
Cloth Nappy Worshipper
Cloth Nappy Worshipper

Postby monsterm » Fri Jun 18, 2010 9:11 am

My cousin's little fella is huge too & he is breast-fed. He has just started crawling & is starting to slim down a little. Can I ask why you put him on solids already? He is very young & is getting plenty from you obviously.

My avatar
Emma1977
Cloth Nappy Passionata
Cloth Nappy Passionata

Postby Emma1977 » Fri Jun 18, 2010 9:22 am

Max was a chubby baby from birth (95th percentile for weight) and stayed chubby until he was around 10 months - he was all cheeks, thighs and arms (love the rolls of baby fat :giggle: ) and he was BF'd. After 10 months he started moving around a lot more and started to slim down especially round the waist. He's now 17 months and is slim around the waist but has maintained his chubby thighs.

Like everyone else has said every baby is different :D

My avatar
beaubelle
Cloth Nappy Follower
Cloth Nappy Follower

Postby beaubelle » Fri Jun 18, 2010 10:09 am

Thanks ladies for all your responses :hug:

Monsterm, I started him on solids (only really small amounts) based on advice from my phn because he is showing all the signs... watching us eat, waking at night, not satisfied after a milk feed etc. I had really wanted to wait until 6 months but I do feel he is ready. He was 10 days overdue as well, so he was around 22 weeks adjusted when I started.

It really annoyed me because I kept having to defend my decision to delay him as long as I did... Had MIL telling me 'that poor child is starving' :shock: :shock: because I wasn't giving him solids. I felt myself that he was obviously thriving so didn't need them yet, so I held off til now.

I really hope he does slim down a bit... I can't afford to keep up with his expanding waist line :giggle:

My avatar
Bobble
Cloth Nappy Follower
Cloth Nappy Follower

Postby Bobble » Fri Jun 18, 2010 10:40 am

Hems was around the 50th centile for weight and 80th for height until she started solids from being bf at 22 weeks and then jumped to the 98th and is still there. She's now relatively slim at the waist but has chubster thighs, but is also fairly tall - is in age 2-3 clothes at 17months. Her body shape has changed loads and is still changing. Like everyone else said all babies are different :)

It really annoyed me because I kept having to defend my decision to delay him as long as I did... Had MIL telling me 'that poor child is starving' because I wasn't giving him solids. I felt myself that he was obviously thriving so didn't need them yet, so I held off til now.

Family kept telling me I was starving her by not giving her a bottle or 'proper food'. Did my head in! :x
MIL thought I should be giving her tea with milk and sugar in a bottle or at least some heinz tomato soup with melted butter... :giggle:
Rox - your dd is gorgeous!

Return to Cloth Nappy Chat