hf1

the life of a nappy

My avatar
malina
Cloth Nappy Lover
Cloth Nappy Lover

the life of a nappy

Postby malina » Mon Jun 21, 2010 3:43 pm

I was wondering for how long the nappies are looking nice and squishy, soft and strokable after getting some pre-loved.
well, nothing wrong with them, though, it's just if I havent have a brand new I quess i would've never known how soft and nice OVB can be.
Well, different story with print jersey, it's obviuos it going to fade and bobble with time;)
But the bamboo and cotton velur? I would like to protect the ones on our brand new fitted to last as long as possible! Is there anything I can do? Well, the new ones are being used and washed for two months and they are still in new conditonn, almost new :giggle: Then I was wondering for how long were in use the preloved ones? Or maybe they were not loved enough :wink:
Or give it another 2-3 months of use and all of my stash will look exactly the same :mrgreen:

My avatar
rhead
Cloth Nappy Passionata
Cloth Nappy Passionata

Re: the life of a nappy

Postby rhead » Mon Jun 21, 2010 5:06 pm

:idea: I found organic cotton velour went terry-like really fast, but regular cotton velour seems to stay nice for ages. Bamboo velour is definitely my favorite and the softest and squishiest... it's lovely new and stays that way for a good while, but different batches (even 2 nappies from the same maker) can wear really differently. I have some nappies I've used 20 times that look and feel newer than ones I've used half that many times.

I always throw my nappies into the tumble drier for about 15 minutes, halfway through air drying - keeps them lovely and soft :mrgreen:

My avatar
Bobble
Cloth Nappy Follower
Cloth Nappy Follower

Postby Bobble » Mon Jun 21, 2010 5:55 pm

I bought a preloved bv goodmama's and 10 mins in the dryer restored a good deal of its' fluffiness. Not as squidgy as my new bv nappies, but pretty good. We've only been in cloth for a few months and bv for less than that - but I know what you mean, bv is so gorgeous when new :)

My avatar
malina
Cloth Nappy Lover
Cloth Nappy Lover

Postby malina » Sun Jun 27, 2010 6:26 pm

Thanks ladies:)
Yes, Rhead, that how you could describe it: valour is turning into terry like thingy;) Some bv lookes like that :cry:
Still working but not so soft :giggle:

Don;t have a tumble drier. do ypu think it would make sense to go sometimes, eg once a month to the public laundry to use a tumble drier?

My avatar
Sally
Cloth Nappy Fanatic
Cloth Nappy Fanatic

Postby Sally » Sun Jun 27, 2010 6:31 pm

i found this too some bv goes hard v quickly :-? others are fine soya velour stays the softest :D

My avatar
monsterm
Cloth Nappy Worshipper
Cloth Nappy Worshipper

Postby monsterm » Sun Jun 27, 2010 7:09 pm

I bought a new nappy with cotton velour inner 4.5 mths ago & it is only starting to go a little hard now. We have really hard water too so I imagine if we lived in an area with soft water it would have lasted a lot longer

My avatar
smilinglou
Cloth Nappy Addict
Cloth Nappy Addict

Postby smilinglou » Mon Jun 28, 2010 9:37 pm

I havent really had many new nappies i go to buy some and think it's just such a waste of funds that i could spend on more lovely nappies that i dont need to wash and wash to get full absorbancy, although i do see the lovely factor of new ones.
In fact I think I have 2 new nappies that were in packaging (but they were bought preloved but bnip from here), we dont really notice much wear with the preloveds and the new coolababy has been used probably 5 times and still looks new, the insert is mf too and still doesnt look grey so they must go much slower than i thought, the ittis still look great, i think I've bought most of our nappies from here :giggle:

Return to Cloth Nappy Chat