hf1

Reliable eco disposibles?

My avatar
Shaunie
Cloth Nappy Worshipper
Cloth Nappy Worshipper

Re: Reliable eco disposibles?

Postby Shaunie » Tue Jun 22, 2010 7:47 am

I use nature babycare too when I need to. I have used over-night with DS2 with no leaks but almost hanging off by mornign but with DS1 I boosted with bamboo! When used in the day, I need to change every 3 hours though or will get leaks.

For me, it's about the chemicals next to the skin which is why I choose eco ones and they are a little kinder to the environment.

Have not tried any of the others though.

My avatar
ladybird
Cloth Nappy Aficionado
Cloth Nappy Aficionado

Postby ladybird » Tue Jun 22, 2010 7:51 am

I could be wrong, but last time I looked the nature babycare were a big con as far as eco goes. It's been a long time since I looked into it all, but reading between the lines on their website and they're a load of tosh.

My avatar
zippie-purple-monkey
Sucker for Cloth Nappies
Sucker for Cloth Nappies

Postby zippie-purple-monkey » Fri Jun 25, 2010 7:27 pm

Thx all. Will try the sainsburys ones as have heard good thing about those. WIll still use cloth for night, but just need a break from daily nappy washes atm!!

My avatar
lazylexis
Cloth Nappy Worshipper
Cloth Nappy Worshipper

Postby lazylexis » Fri Jun 25, 2010 7:56 pm

I think the eco friendliness of nature babies and the supermarket ones is very similar and i think slightly more eco friendly than pampers etc.Nathan who is quite a heavy wetter is in a nature babies tonight with a soaker on top.only cos he has a horrendous rash atm and i've had to smother him in cream the last 3 nights which seems to be clearing it.they last him 8 til 7.

My avatar
ebonina
Cloth Nappy Addict
Cloth Nappy Addict

Postby ebonina » Fri Jun 25, 2010 8:12 pm

In my quest to find out if eco disposables really do exist I came across this http://swinny.net/Child_Help/-3578-How- ... ble-diaper . Somebody has compared a few "eco" brands.

northernruth wrote:TBH Moltex are the only really eco ones, unless it's just the chemicals you are bothered about next to the skin. All the ohters have some element of non biodegradable stuff in. None of it degrades in landfill anyway. You may as well use pampers on the occassions you need to.

I totally agree, so that is why I just use normal disposables on the odd occasion I need them. Nature babycare call the gel super absorbents but at least moltex are more open about them being in theirs, 20% of it being biodegradable. I also thought the author of the link made an interesting point that less gel per nappy means more nappies are needed, so negating some of the environmental benefits of the eco ones.

My avatar
cumbrianlass
Cloth Nappy Lover
Cloth Nappy Lover

Postby cumbrianlass » Fri Jun 25, 2010 8:13 pm

When I need to resort to a sposie I use Bambo. Have tried Nature Babies, Tushies, Moltex etc and Bambo just seemed nicer and better performing. They are super absorbent, better than Pumpers anyday!

The absorbancy bit is made from starch and is 100% biodegradable so none of the chemically stuff you get in most sposies. And yes, they are nowhere near as good for the environment as cloth washed and dried right, but they are nowhere near as bad as the mainstream brands. Eco disposables are not just about biodegradablity (is that a word?) but also about how they are manufactured, the chemical brightners used, the ingredients etc.

Bambo were ethical consumer's best buy eco-sposie. Cheaper and much better accredited than Sainsbury's. I guess it depends what you are looking for in a nappy, but for me Bambo was a good performer AND about as ethical as I could find for a disposable.

Ethical Consumer's nappy report is still available to view for free at http://www.ethiscore.org/nappies.pdf and is a really interesting read. I was disapointed that they recently came out and said that people should "ditch the guilt around disposables" (they say that using 1 in 4 nappies as cloth is enough to hit the 10% reduction the government is committed too) :roll: but the article and research is still worth a read.

HTH :wink:
Last edited by cumbrianlass on Fri Jun 25, 2010 8:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

My avatar
smilinglou
Cloth Nappy Addict
Cloth Nappy Addict

Postby smilinglou » Fri Jun 25, 2010 8:39 pm

We have nature baby care, they recently changed the design which seems to be ok but the paper comes off and I dont know how this works with choking hazards :-? then the plastic underneath is available for tiny hands, and it has a residue that comes off on my fingers, apart from this they are ok but sometimes leak after a few hours and a poo, but isnt this normal for disposables :twisted: lol oh and my lo's bum pongs after wearing one of these for half a night :-?
the moltex brought her up in a slight rash after less than an hour and she cried, they look too much like a normal sposie and smell chemically, although nature babycare new ones now smell very 'chemically'

My avatar
Bluebell
Cloth Nappy Addict
Cloth Nappy Addict

Postby Bluebell » Fri Jun 25, 2010 9:17 pm

We used Moltex when DD was newborn as wasn't brave enough to go straight to washables. We did have the odd leak, but we've also had leaks with Huggies.

My avatar
aimeet
Sucker for Cloth Nappies
Sucker for Cloth Nappies

Postby aimeet » Fri Jun 25, 2010 10:39 pm

smilinglou wrote:although nature babycare new ones now smell very 'chemically'

I have found that too- Penny cries as soon as she has weed in one of these anyway so on the odd occassion when I use them- in cases of rash and out and about (although we did our first cloth outing the other day! :wine: ) I can really tell that she has been wearing one :puke: We have had more pooplosions with these than cloth though so maybe if it is a newbie bf poo then a soaker over might be a good idea- Penny leaked a poo all over my leg the other day when I was feeding her- GRIM!

PreviousNext

Return to Cloth Nappy Chat