hf1

teething, nappies and nurofen/calpol!

My avatar
beaubelle
Cloth Nappy Follower
Cloth Nappy Follower

teething, nappies and nurofen/calpol!

Postby beaubelle » Wed Jun 23, 2010 11:59 am

After a few weeks of wondering why my little ds is waking so much during the night, we finally have a teeny sharp little tooth coming through!

I am just wondering about giving him calpol/nurofen going to bed at night, as it seems to just bother him at night. I read here recently that someone ended up with stained nappies after using calpol, and I was just wondering how long it takes for calpol to leave the system? I usually use disposables at night, but I am planning on starting cloth through the night too, however I might hold off until the teething stops. I don't want to stop using cloth during the day, but I don't want to ruin my nappies either!

Has anyone any suggestions? Does nurofen for babies cause the same staining? If he gets one dose of calpol at around 10pm, when should he have all the calpol out of his system?

Also, how long does teething last.. 1st time mummy here!!

My avatar
Kirstyh
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox

Re: teething, nappies and nurofen/calpol!

Postby Kirstyh » Wed Jun 23, 2010 12:04 pm

:idea: pop in a liner to stop poop going onto the nappy.
It just depends of the lo really, some people find it stains other don't, I personally think nurofen is better for teething pain but you can alternate it with calpol if you want. xx

My avatar
Shaunie
Cloth Nappy Worshipper
Cloth Nappy Worshipper

Postby Shaunie » Wed Jun 23, 2010 12:29 pm

I've never heard about the calpol & staining nappies before. I've def never noticed any difference in their poos. When we do give calpol, it's usually at night. We never give nurofen though because this makes both boys have VERY nasty poos :puke:

With regard to teething, it can last until at least 2 y/o, varies greatly from baby to baby. My cousins LO got all his teeth before he was 2 but DS1 was later than that.

Not much help there :giggle: , other than a liner to help protect the nappy. :hug:

My avatar
monsterm
Cloth Nappy Worshipper
Cloth Nappy Worshipper

Postby monsterm » Wed Jun 23, 2010 12:51 pm

Nurofen is better for teething pain. Calpol can leave great big purple stains on your nappy, that are pretty much impossible to get out. I'm sure there is a thread on here somewhere about why nurofen is better than calpol for baby. Gonna have a look for you.

My avatar
LilMrsAverage
Cloth Nappy Aficionado
Cloth Nappy Aficionado

Postby LilMrsAverage » Wed Jun 23, 2010 12:56 pm

have you tried any teething powders x so far all Dexters teeth have been calpol/nurofen free just his amber necklace and herbal teething powders as and when x x

My avatar
Velvetsteph
Cloth Nappy Clanger
Cloth Nappy Clanger

Postby Velvetsteph » Wed Jun 23, 2010 1:05 pm

Just make sure you buy colourless paracetamol - e.g. own brand ones rather than 'calpol' - cheaper too ;)

My avatar
Shaunie
Cloth Nappy Worshipper
Cloth Nappy Worshipper

Postby Shaunie » Wed Jun 23, 2010 1:10 pm

Velvetsteph wrote:Just make sure you buy colourless paracetamol - e.g. own brand ones rather than 'calpol' - cheaper too ;)

Maybe this is why I haven't noticed stains - usually use shop own cheaper brand which isn't bright pink!

My avatar
beaubelle
Cloth Nappy Follower
Cloth Nappy Follower

Postby beaubelle » Wed Jun 23, 2010 1:39 pm

Thanks so much for all the replies ladies. I have tried the Teetha gel, exept more of that ends up on my fingers than on his gums!!! I'll also look into the granules. I think I'll manage to avoid giving medicine during the day, but at night I think he needs it as he has been up for the past week or two.

That's great to know about the generic paracetamol brands.

Such a fountain of knowledge on this site. xx

My avatar
Kirstyh
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox

Postby Kirstyh » Wed Jun 23, 2010 2:04 pm

I always buy own brands as well unless it is an emergency and we have to nip to the wee shop!

Next

Return to Cloth Nappy Chat