hf1

What is wicking??

My avatar
irishmel
Clothie
Clothie

What is wicking??

Postby irishmel » Fri Jun 25, 2010 7:53 pm

Excuse my ignorance, but what is wicking exactly, what causes it and how can I avoid it??
Many thanks

My avatar
Miss_Purple
Cloth Nappy Aficionado
Cloth Nappy Aficionado

Re: What is wicking??

Postby Miss_Purple » Fri Jun 25, 2010 8:01 pm

wicking is basically when fabric (eg clothing) touches part of the nappy and absorbs wetness from it - it normally happens because the nappy isn't absorbent enough, or is of a bad design or bad fit on your baby. It can also happen when nappies are left on too long and get too saturated. In my experience it's normally worst around the legs - you get a damp patch on the trousers or vest, and sometimes around the waist.

I'm sure someone else will be able to explain it better, I'm not sure I've made much sense :oops:

To avoid it, make sure your nappies are a good fit, and absorbent enough, change baby regularly, and don't put anything too tight over the nappy (eg tights are notorious for it as the pressure from them squeezes the wetness out of the nappy and onto the tights).

My avatar
irishmel
Clothie
Clothie

Postby irishmel » Fri Jun 25, 2010 8:03 pm

Ah, that is what probably happens- DD vets are usually soaked around the legs! Must look out for some of those vest extenders. Ignorantly I used to think the tighter the vest the better the nappy would work :giggle:

My avatar
monsterm
Cloth Nappy Worshipper
Cloth Nappy Worshipper

Postby monsterm » Fri Jun 25, 2010 8:05 pm

Wicking also happens if you tie a vest over wool or fleece.

My avatar
beck
Cloth Nappy Ninky Nonk
Cloth Nappy Ninky Nonk
Site Supporter

Postby beck » Sat Jun 26, 2010 4:49 am

I've found it happens on cotton outer nappies too.

My avatar
rachymoo
Cloth Nappy Addict
Cloth Nappy Addict

Postby rachymoo » Sat Jun 26, 2010 6:47 am

beck wrote:I've found it happens on cotton outer nappies too.

Same here, I've found it happens with the cotton outer Issy Bears, I love them anyway though :oops:

Rach xx

My avatar
smilinglou
Cloth Nappy Addict
Cloth Nappy Addict

Postby smilinglou » Mon Jun 28, 2010 10:04 pm

irishmel wrote:Ah, that is what probably happens- DD vets are usually soaked around the legs! Must look out for some of those vest extenders. Ignorantly I used to think the tighter the vest the better the nappy would work :giggle:

This was our biggest problem, we do the vest up then put on trousers or whatever is going over, then un do the vest, that way it stays in place but doesnt push on the nappy. Also you can just buy bigger vest sizes if you're coming up to needing to buy more, baby legs are good instead of tights too

My avatar
katyt
Clothie
Clothie

Postby katyt » Thu Jul 01, 2010 4:52 pm

I find it happens most with cotton nappies too :( xx

Return to Cloth Nappy Chat