hf1

How to persuade peeople to use cloth?

My avatar
hannabelle
Clothie
Clothie

How to persuade peeople to use cloth?

Postby hannabelle » Tue Jun 29, 2010 3:47 pm

Yesterday at playgroup I had to change DD, cue all the mums cooing over her cute nappy and sayig 'wawsn't I good' for using cloth. I explained that it was much easier and cheaper, we never have leaks now ad with disposables they happen all the time. They all agreed that they have to carry around several changes of clothes due to all the leaks. I offered to lend a few to them to try and they all refused saying it was probably too difficult for them!

Is it possible to persuade people or should I give up on that idea?!

My avatar
rachymoo
Cloth Nappy Addict
Cloth Nappy Addict

Re: How to persuade peeople to use cloth?

Postby rachymoo » Tue Jun 29, 2010 3:51 pm

LOL, I do try to tell people I know how great it is but usually I end up being called a 'hippy' or an 'earth mother' :shock: I find the cute designs is usually the main thing that converts people! But I do try to tell people how much better cloth is at holding in explosive poo, etc. But there’s only so much you can say, some people just don’t want to try it.

Rach xx

My avatar
angelsquidge
Cloth Nappy Fanatic
Cloth Nappy Fanatic

Postby angelsquidge » Tue Jun 29, 2010 3:55 pm

rachymoo wrote: But there’s only so much you can say, some people just don’t want to try it.

WSS.

If you've offered to lend nappies, show them how to use them, advise on washing etc then there's probably little else you can do.

Some people just don't want to try.....as much as it's your prerogative to use cloth it's their prerogative to use disposables :wink:

My avatar
zoeyboo
Cloth Nappy Aficionado
Cloth Nappy Aficionado

Postby zoeyboo » Tue Jun 29, 2010 3:56 pm

I had something similar at my Antenatal Group (NCT ones) the subject came up, I said I was using cloth & they were all really interested, so I agreed to bring a load of different types in & printed some info, I did the demo and they all thought it was fab and a few said they wanted to use cloth, one lady said she'd bought a load of BTP already...

8 Weeks after the Babies were born we met up, no-one was using cloth except me ... the lady that had the BTP stuff said it didn't fit right & leaked (I had told her that this was likely, I don't think onesize can fit a newborn & a toddler :-? ) but mainly I think it's the perception that it's a lot of work and the lack of support from others, Grandparents can be particulary bad at this!

I think you can continue to sing it's praises, show off the nicest ones & repeat your offer when anyone shows an interest, but I don't think you can persuade anymore, anymore than they could get you to use sposies.

My avatar
jennyclaire
Cloth Nappy Groupie
Cloth Nappy Groupie

Postby jennyclaire » Tue Jun 29, 2010 4:02 pm

I so want to convert one person at least, but whenever I say how good they are, they say they can't be bothered to wash them etc. I don't think they really know how lovely they look.
Any of my friends who are pregnant, I mention it. But they just don't want to try :( It is a huge shame as they are too lovely and I have bought way too many. And with bumgenius about to launch and annouce something new, I'm in danger of buying more!!!
One of my friends on facebook did say that when she does have kids, she will use them :)

My avatar
laceybat
Cloth Nappy Wise Woman
Cloth Nappy Wise Woman

Postby laceybat » Tue Jun 29, 2010 4:08 pm

i have just changed some one mind about cloth and i've just intraduce a new mum to them as well.

My avatar
tiyuricc
Sucker for Cloth Nappies
Sucker for Cloth Nappies

Postby tiyuricc » Tue Jun 29, 2010 4:34 pm

I think don't try to convert them. Yes, tell them it's good but each to their own.

I'd hate it if someone tried to convert me to disposables (or eating meat or anything else i don't currently do) so I give others the same courtesy of not trying to covert them to whatever it is that I do.

My avatar
paintedclaws
Cloth Nappy Fanatic
Cloth Nappy Fanatic

Postby paintedclaws » Tue Jun 29, 2010 4:38 pm

I've converted a couple of people to cloth but they wanted a demo and actively sought me out to talk about cloth and which brands i'd recommend. So wouldn't really count that...

I find mostly that its ignorance, i've had people commenting that i must have to much time on my hands...Having four children and being able to put the washer on... :roll: Its not hard, we all know that, but they don't want to hear it so i don't bother any more. :oops:

My family think i'm a 'hippy' but if by that i care about what goes next to my babies skin and what is left for them to deal with (ie the state of earth) when i'm gone then i guess i am. :giggle:

My avatar
e586
Sucker for Cloth Nappies
Sucker for Cloth Nappies

Postby e586 » Tue Jun 29, 2010 4:42 pm

I think you've done all you can, and now it's down to them. You never know, some might look into it further at some stage and go on to buy them. You've put the possibility into their minds, and all you can do is hope for the best! :)

Next

Return to Cloth Nappy Chat