hf1

How to persuade peeople to use cloth?

My avatar
Miss_Purple
Cloth Nappy Aficionado
Cloth Nappy Aficionado

Re: How to persuade peeople to use cloth?

Postby Miss_Purple » Wed Jun 30, 2010 7:10 am

I agree, as much as I'd love to see more people using cloth I don't feel it's my place to try and convert them, and I certainly wouldn't appreciate someone trying to persuade me to use sposies.

I normally make sure I change DD somewhere fairly public, with my prettiest nappies :giggle: and answer any questions that people have. DD is in wool 90% of the time now so I get lots of comments and compliments on her clothes, whenever anyone says anything about them I explain it's because she is in cloth napies and that is her nappy cover - but most people aren't interested enough to ask anymore unfortunately.

I do know of one person who has switched to cloth recently after seeing my DD in wool, but I think she was always wanting to do it and just needed some help (she's on here now too :giggle: ) otherwise I tend to just give people the phone number of the local nappy lady, or send them a link to this site, and then just let them make their own mind up.

I am trying to convert a friend to wool at the moment though, as she's already using cloth and PUL wraps, but has been having problems with nappy rash and has gone back to sposies. All I'm going to do is lend her a couple of wool soakers though and explain how to use them.

I actually have 5 friends with babies in cloth out of my immediate circle of NCT Mums - which I think is great, though they are all very good and just use LL or Sandys etc!! - not as addicted as me!

My avatar
Miranda
Cloth Nappy Lover
Cloth Nappy Lover

Postby Miranda » Wed Jun 30, 2010 10:58 pm

Sometimes it can take a while for the penny to drop that cloth is cheaper AND more convenient. I had a phone call about 6 weeks ago from a lady I'd met about 8 or 9 years ago when she had her first. She was interested at the time, enough to find out more, but as she said she never got round to it, as she put it off for a few weeks then found she was expecting No 2. She's just had baby no 4, money is a bit tighter and she thought she should give cloth a go, she's been back a couple of weeks ago raving at how wonderful cloth is (no leaks) and why had I not really told her how easy it was when she'd had No 1 (I did, but she didn't really listen/believe me!), and above all how much this is going to save her in ££.

I don't think you can persuade, all you can do is show and tell and leave it up to them to make the decision to dip the toe in.

My avatar
hannabelle
Clothie
Clothie

Postby hannabelle » Sat Jul 03, 2010 1:58 pm

Gosh, thanks for all the replies! Some really interesting comments, and perhaps 'convert' was the wrong choice of word! I think for me the biggest advantage other than no nappy rash and cheaper is that I don't have to keep changing DD's clothes throughout the day but I'm sure people just think that's a fluke... I'll carry on making sure she's in pretty nappies for playgroup :)

My avatar
Jamling
Cloth Nappy Groupie
Cloth Nappy Groupie

Postby Jamling » Sat Jul 03, 2010 2:28 pm

I was keen to spread the word about cloth nappies and if someone asked I tried to be as encouraging as I possible. In the end it was the same 'oh aren't you good but I'm just too busy and couldn't fit it in' etc I even met a few mums that had used cloth on previous babies and just hadn't got into the groove to use then on the next one. I think what is possible is to tip someone over the edge if they are already interested in using cloth and just need a bit of support/encouragement. Any excuse to show off lovely cloth nappies is worth going for though. :giggle:

Previous

Return to Cloth Nappy Chat