hf1

How to persuade peeople to use cloth?

My avatar
Sally
Cloth Nappy Fanatic
Cloth Nappy Fanatic

Re: How to persuade peeople to use cloth?

Postby Sally » Tue Jun 29, 2010 5:19 pm

I don't think you can either, I lent my friend an itti, a puddlekins fitted and a weenotion pocket she didn't get on with any of them mainly as they were so fiddly I think but I didn't have anything simpler :giggle:
I am tempted to buy the same friend a real easy AI1 or a bambooty as I think they look really easy to use and cute :wink: and If she hates it she can always give it back to me :wink:

My avatar
e586
Sucker for Cloth Nappies
Sucker for Cloth Nappies

Postby e586 » Tue Jun 29, 2010 5:34 pm

princessliana wrote:I don't think you can either, I lent my friend an itti, a puddlekins fitted and a weenotion pocket she didn't get on with any of them mainly as they were so fiddly I think but I didn't have anything simpler :giggle:
I am tempted to buy the same friend a real easy AI1 or a bambooty as I think they look really easy to use and cute :wink: and If she hates it she can always give it back to me :wink:

:giggle: :giggle:

I like your thinking!!

My avatar
monsterm
Cloth Nappy Worshipper
Cloth Nappy Worshipper

Postby monsterm » Tue Jun 29, 2010 6:09 pm

The biggest thing I notice is people say that they can't handle the extra washing. I let them know that it is only 1 extra wash every 3 days. Although lots of women were surprised by this, I have yet to convert anyone. One of my friends had a baby recently & showed a little bit of interest but it came to nothing. It always surprises me as well how many women do not realise that there is chemicals in disposable nappies.

My avatar
pinksalmon2001
Sucker for Cloth Nappies
Sucker for Cloth Nappies

Postby pinksalmon2001 » Tue Jun 29, 2010 6:14 pm

I have quite a few friends that use cloth but it is definitely the minority of people - I am still always very surprised when I come across a cloth user which is a shame really! I don't bother trying to convert people, I answer their questions if they ask and always make sure I take our nicest fluff out but i find most people have their own set opinions about it!

My avatar
northernruth
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox

Postby northernruth » Tue Jun 29, 2010 6:57 pm

Just getting the idea in there is enough - in our group of friends only two of us used cloth regularly (one reckoned she did but actually it was the Mothercare Smart nappy system, and mostly she was using the disposable pads :roll: ).

Second time around one more mum is using cloth on her LO - that's a 50% increase :giggle: and I think it's just from being around ppl that used them and didn't make a big deal out of it.

Lots of ppl know I used cloth so if anyone is interested they seek me out a bit (eg friend in Manc rang me about it when she had her LO cos she'd heard from one of the other girls that we'd used cloth).

SO you're doing fine - you may find one or two of them come back to you with more questions in a few weeks :wink:

My avatar
smilinglou
Cloth Nappy Addict
Cloth Nappy Addict

Postby smilinglou » Tue Jun 29, 2010 8:18 pm

I try to say how good they are but dont want to sound pushey, i answer peoples negative comments with the good points i.e. arent you washing all the time, no, doesnt it stink, no but when we used sposies the bin stunk more than the buckets etc etc, usually i just get silence because they are saying those things purely to make a point which didnt work, I think a lot of people just point blank refuse to even think of the idea, one Mum liked to go on about how disgusting it is to another when the nappy lady came to our group, people just dont care about the good points and the bad points of disposables so there's very little you can do, frustrating though isnt it, i think its worse when people are interested but dont go through with it because they start of using a few sposies and then they just sink into it :evil: it's too easy to think they're easy iykwim

My avatar
smilinglou
Cloth Nappy Addict
Cloth Nappy Addict

Postby smilinglou » Tue Jun 29, 2010 8:19 pm

northernruth wrote:I think it's just from being around ppl that used them and didn't make a big deal out of it.

Lots of ppl know I used cloth so if anyone is interested they seek me out a bit (eg friend in Manc rang me about it when she had her LO cos she'd heard from one of the other girls that we'd used cloth).

SO you're doing fine - you may find one or two of them come back to you with more questions in a few weeks :wink:

Totally agree with this, it's exactly what happens to me, you make it the norm then they will follow, that's why the disposable companies and other such things are so popular and rich.
A few white lies won't go a miss either, "I save loads of money using them and the wipes" well i did before I came on here :giggle: then you get the "wipes?! what are they then?", seriously why do people not think to just grab a flannel and wet it anymore, like when they run out of throw away wipes even, it just makes sense to me now because I broke the 'norm'

My avatar
anya1973
Cloth Nappy Nutter
Cloth Nappy Nutter

Postby anya1973 » Tue Jun 29, 2010 8:54 pm

tiyuricc wrote:I think don't try to convert them. Yes, tell them it's good but each to their own.

I'd hate it if someone tried to convert me to disposables (or eating meat or anything else i don't currently do) so I give others the same courtesy of not trying to covert them to whatever it is that I do.

Agree totally. I'd be miffed if someone tried to 'convert' me into doing something I don't usually do. I actually think it can put people's backs up even more if you bang on about it.

As you say, each to their own. We all have our reasons for doing or indeed not doing things a certain way. I suppose it's a bit like everyone being entitled to their own opinion and freedom of speach.

I've not 'converted' anyone and wouldn't try either. I use cloth on my son because I want to. I'd be cross if someone tried to get me to use disposables so I afford them the same courtesy of not pushing my ideas onto them.

Helen xx

My avatar
Bobble
Cloth Nappy Follower
Cloth Nappy Follower

Postby Bobble » Tue Jun 29, 2010 8:58 pm

We started cloth fairly late in the day, when dd was 13 months old :oops: Her eczema got v bad and we thought it might be a disposables allergy (it was :crossbaby: ). 4 months on, one friend is a convert and another who is pg is going to give it a try.

There is a huge misconception that it's loads of work and I get a lot of disbelieving looks when I tell people it isn't. SIL was shocked and sympathetic when she found out "Oh no, you're joking! Why would you do that?!!!" :giggle:

On the other hand people love the look of dd's nappies, but there are also quite a few who think it's a cute nappy cover to hide the disp. :roll:

northernruth wrote:
I think it's just from being around ppl that used them and didn't make a big deal out of it.

I agree

PreviousNext

Return to Cloth Nappy Chat