hf1

calling nappy geeks!

My avatar
ems101
Cloth Nappy Worshipper
Cloth Nappy Worshipper

calling nappy geeks!

Postby ems101 » Wed Jun 30, 2010 8:26 am

Hi there, Im pretty new to cloth nappies and new to this forum, but im really keen to get into it all as I know the benefits of cloth are good all round.

I requested a trial pack from my council (surrey) and got a shaped tots bots nappy (made of terry like material with an attached booster) a naturebabies stuffable, a motherese one size, a prefold nappy, and a couple of wraps (motherese) and boosters and liners. I first tried the stuffable with a booster and liner. It was really bulky on my 8m old ndaughter and kept slipping down dispite being on the tightest setting. When I took it off (it leaked), the booster was a bit crunpled inside and the liner was crumpled too. My daughters bottom looked rubbed and sore, and it had only been on for about an hour. I also tried the tots bots. This was better, but still really bulky, I wouldnt have been able to get clothes on her!What did I do wrong? I wondered if these trial packs are older nappies and if the newer ones would be better?

I need held, dont want to give up before ive even started!! Any advice?

Em + Jen 8m x

My avatar
Emma1977
Cloth Nappy Passionata
Cloth Nappy Passionata

Re: calling nappy geeks!

Postby Emma1977 » Wed Jun 30, 2010 8:56 am

:hug: you've not been given the best introduction to nappies.there :giggle: Motherease Onesize are HUGE even on toddlers. I used to have some but sold them on as they were just too bulky.

Don't worry too much about cloth nappies being bulky as most of them will be under 'normal clothes' as they clothes were not designed with them in mind. There are trim fitting nappies that you can buy or you can clothes the next size up so that they will fit better over cloth. One good option if you want nappies to go under clothes are to get some pockets or All-in-Ones (AIOs). Really good brands to try are BumGenius (BG) and these are really cheap at the mo as they are about to launch their version 4, Happy Heinys, Itti Bitti, Weenotions One-size and Blueberry One-size to name just a few. Have a look in the classifieds are there are always lots of pockets being sold there and it will allow you to try some without paying too much :wink: Also check out the Reviews section for great info on the different brands.

Fitteds nappies and wool are another great combo and far more reliable than pockets (as well as a whole other addiction). That way you don't need to worry about the nappies fitting under clothes as the wool acts as the nappy cover :D There are many different brands of fitted so again check out the classifieds and reviews section for lots of info.

I know it all seems confusing at the start but it will all soon become clearer. Post on the forum and ask lots of questions - no matter how silly you think they are - and people will help as much as they can.

Have fun building your stash :D

My avatar
JabberJabber
Cloth Nappy Prophet
Cloth Nappy Prophet
Thankyou Moderators :)
Site Supporter

Postby JabberJabber » Wed Jun 30, 2010 8:58 am

The only thing I can add to the above post is to not buy a large number of any particular type until you've tried them for a while. You don't want to waste money on something that doesn't work for you.

My avatar
g murphy
Cloth Nappy Aficionado
Cloth Nappy Aficionado

Postby g murphy » Wed Jun 30, 2010 9:06 am

Emma1977 wrote::hug: you've not been given the best introduction to nappies.there :giggle: Motherease Onesize are HUGE even on toddlers. I used to have some but sold them on as they were just too bulky.

Don't worry too much about cloth nappies being bulky as most of them will be under 'normal clothes' as they clothes were not designed with them in mind. There are trim fitting nappies that you can buy or you can clothes the next size up so that they will fit better over cloth. One good option if you want nappies to go under clothes are to get some pockets or All-in-Ones (AIOs). Really good brands to try are BumGenius (BG) and these are really cheap at the mo as they are about to launch their version 4, Happy Heinys, Itti Bitti, Weenotions One-size and Blueberry One-size to name just a few. Have a look in the classifieds are there are always lots of pockets being sold there and it will allow you to try some without paying too much :wink: Also check out the Reviews section for great info on the different brands.

Fitteds nappies and wool are another great combo and far more reliable than pockets (as well as a whole other addiction). That way you don't need to worry about the nappies fitting under clothes as the wool acts as the nappy cover :D There are many different brands of fitted so again check out the classifieds and reviews section for lots of info.

I know it all seems confusing at the start but it will all soon become clearer. Post on the forum and ask lots of questions - no matter how silly you think they are - and people will help as much as they can.

Have fun building your stash :D

JabberJabber wrote:The only thing I can add to the above post is to not buy a large number of any particular type
until you've tried them for a while. You don't want to waste money on something that doesn't work for you.

WSS hunnie. xx just ask loads of questions. xx

My avatar
Sally
Cloth Nappy Fanatic
Cloth Nappy Fanatic

Postby Sally » Wed Jun 30, 2010 10:52 am

for a easy to try and non bulky nappy I would try real easy all in ones or bambootys, they are most like disposables for ease in my opinion,

Return to Cloth Nappy Chat