Help please... Brain frazzled!

My avatar
clothsister
Cloth Nappy Addict
Cloth Nappy Addict

Help please... Brain frazzled!

Postby clothsister » Wed Jun 30, 2010 4:48 pm

Hi All!

Well, I have been trying to work out the ins and outs that are cloth nappies and I'll even with you, I am that confused that I am thinking I might just stick to reusables. Which I don't really want to do.

I understand that there are a million options but would like peoples real life opinions on what suits from birth. Baby due in October so am running out of salary packages to purchase the reusables with!

Which brands are good?
How many nappies are easy to dry?
Which nappies have the inserts (This is something that I do want to be using as the idea of scraping number 2's off the material turns me off cloth nappies?
Do all paper inserts fit all cloth nappies or is it a brand specific thing?
How many of each size should one have stocked up??? Bearing in mind I want to try and buy everything before my salary is no longer!
Which nappies suit the fact that I am having a baby in the UK during Autumn/Winter therefore can't line dry?

Any information would be fabulous please!!! Even better if someone could just say you should buy a specific brand etc....

Sorry for all the questions, but I've had enough of trying to work it all out and could really do with some help!

Thanks all!
xxx

My avatar
ems
Cloth Nappy Passionata
Cloth Nappy Passionata

Re: Help please... Brain frazzled!

Postby ems » Wed Jun 30, 2010 4:54 pm

hiya clothsister! Glad your well!! I think I'm supposed to be sending you a few things to try out care of your sister ;) Pm me your address and I'll get them all sent out in the next Post Office run.
emma x

My avatar
megansmummy
Cloth Nappy Goddess
Cloth Nappy Goddess

Postby megansmummy » Wed Jun 30, 2010 5:26 pm

Everyone will give you different answers here :giggle:

Right to cloth from birth then i would get fitteds nappies (ones that require a wrap or wool over the top) becuase i have always found those faaaaar more reliable and they contain newborn blowouts much better (becuse of the wrap)...

When my two were born we used thirsties fab fitteds, bamboo little lambs, bamboo lovables, diddy diapers, prefolds, goodmamas and i really liked the thirsties covers on a newborn...still like them on Kieren now and he is 14 months old :)

You can use nappy liners that lay inside the nappy, either washable ones (minkee, fleece etc) which you 'plop' the poop off and stick in the wash. Breastfed poo (and even formula in my experience) does fine just chucked straight in the wash...its when they tart solids that I have found they need plopping. You can buy flushable liners in boots, mothercare and online which you take out the nappy and flush down the toilet. paper/fleece inerts can all be folded/cut to fit your nappies...it doesnt matter which brand you get.

I would say 30 nappies is a decent stash (of course you will get hooked and end up with double) but 30 will give you chance to wash every other day (every 3rd day at a stretch) bamboo nappies are more absorbant but bamboo takes longer to dry than cotton.

nappies shouldnt be dried on radiators as it can reuin the elastic but those hangy thangs that go over a radiator are fine :) anything can be tumble dried too...bamboo doesnt tumble as well as cotton but as long as you dont do it on super high for hours you should be fine :)

Microfiber is a really fast drying material, however i hate the feel of it and it also tends to stink too :-?

Birth to potty nappies are a great option if your on a budget becuase you dont need to replace sizes as the baby grows Bumgenius (do pocket nappies that you stuff and All-in-ones that you just put on like a disp), Goodmama are a one size fitted nappy that needs a wrap/wool, puddlekins (ems) do a one size fitted...there are a fair few!

Hope that helps and I havnt confused you more!!

My avatar
lazylexis
Cloth Nappy Worshipper
Cloth Nappy Worshipper

Postby lazylexis » Wed Jun 30, 2010 6:01 pm

Tory (megansmummy) has given you some great advice.i'd second the 2 part system/fitteds and wraps for newborns particularly if you're planning on breast feeding as we tended to get leaks with one part nappies.i just put nappies with breast fed poo on straight in the bucket and in the wash as it's so runny.
We've moved on to pockets/one part nappies now ds is on solids.i wouldn't buy lots of one type of nappy until you know what works for you. I got a lot of nappies on trial from babykind after ds was born and bought the ones i liked after that.
There's always some good nappies on the classifieds here.
We mostly used little lambs with motherease wraps when ds was tiny.

My avatar
Velvetsteph
Cloth Nappy Clanger
Cloth Nappy Clanger

Postby Velvetsteph » Wed Jun 30, 2010 6:30 pm

Really good basic reliable nappies to get you started are little lambs bamboo nappies with motherease wraps. Can't really beat them for size1 (up to about 4-6months) as they're reliable and absorbent...

Really good newborn nappies are easy peasy bambeasy - they're fleece lined so no faffing with liners etc... Motherease wraps again.

Once you get to 4-6months you'll have more of a feel of nappies and may have tried other things like pockets...

Bumgenius birth to potty pocket nappies are pretty good but not ideal on a newborn and worked better for us once we reached about 6/7months...

Hope that helps a little :hug:

I would say 30 nappies is PLENTY :)

My avatar
monsterm
Cloth Nappy Worshipper
Cloth Nappy Worshipper

Postby monsterm » Wed Jun 30, 2010 6:38 pm

Another vote for little lamb bamboo's & motherease wraps. I prefer fleece liners to paper as they act as a stay dry layer between nappy & bottom but paper does not. Every little lamb nappy comes with it's own fleece liner anyway so at least you can give it a try. The microfibre ones dry alot faster but I don't like the feel of them. Maybe get one or two from classifieds to see what you think & which you would prefer.

Little lamb also give the option of paying off monthly. Have a look at their site.

My avatar
clothsister
Cloth Nappy Addict
Cloth Nappy Addict

Postby clothsister » Thu Jul 01, 2010 9:48 am

Thank you all so much for your help! I think I have it sorted now! Am going to use a mixture of Bamboo and cloth from Little Lambs (Although will start with disposables until I am home with the baby and starting to work out how to be a mum!) Just don't want to put too much pressure on myself at this point.

Do I need to get the motherease wraps or are the little lamb ones ok to use as well?

Am going to use a mixture of the paper liners and the cloth liners until I decide which I prefer I think!

Going to ask a really stupid question now.... Do you change the nappy and the liner each time? Think this it's the nappy and the liner but just wanted to ask in case I was being a bit silly!

Thanks again all!

Hugs and kisses to you ems! :)
xx

My avatar
clothmama
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Site Admin

Postby clothmama » Thu Jul 01, 2010 10:04 am

Hello darling girl! I think you asked me lots of these questions a while ago and I still havent' answered :oops: :oops: Don't put too much pressure on yourself to get 'everything' before bubs arrives as you don't know what will suit her and what you will like using best. I'd recommend getting a good selection of different things to try.

I agree with what the others have said about little lambs BUT if you remember louis was tiny and I wouldn't have used Little Lambs for a good long time on him as they would have looked really big.

I bought a big lot of 2nd hand newborn nappies and then sold all my little ones on and my whole first 6 months of cloth cost me the whole of £30. I think I got about 18 newborn kissaluvs and they were great for dh as they were all the same :giggle: :giggle:

Do you want to me to have a look in classifieds for you and see what we can come up with? As Ems said I did cooerce her into finding you some :giggle: :giggle: :hug: :hug: Thanks Ems :cnthug:

:wine: :wine: :wine: I'm so excited I'm going to be an aunty again :giggle: :giggle:

I'm going to move this into cloth nappy chat too! :wink:

My avatar
monsterm
Cloth Nappy Worshipper
Cloth Nappy Worshipper

Postby monsterm » Thu Jul 01, 2010 10:08 am

Never got that clothsister is your sister :roll: Makes sense coz I thought it was a bit of a strange user name.

Little lamb wraps are the marmite of wraps. Some people love them & get on brillantly with them, others, like myself, hate them. Motherease wraps are bombproof & I have yet to "meet" someone who they don't work for.

Next

Return to Cloth Nappy Chat