hf1

How many nappies per day and how often do you wash?

My avatar
pinksalmon2001
Sucker for Cloth Nappies
Sucker for Cloth Nappies

How many nappies per day and how often do you wash?

Postby pinksalmon2001 » Wed Jun 30, 2010 7:04 pm

Tyler has a fairly large stash of approx 80 nappies :oops: but I seem to have slipped back into washing every other day when I don't really need to.

We use 4/5 nappies per day plus 1 night nappy so each wash has 10-12 nappies in it - sometimes pockets and inserts, sometimes fitteds and wraps. The main reason I wash every other day is that my nappy bucket only holds 2 days worth of nappies. I am considering getting an xl wet bag instead and washing every third day but that would be 16/17 nappies - is that too many for one wash?

What do you all do? Where do you store dirty nappies? How often do you wash them and how many do you use per day?

I always wash at 60 as I don't feel that they are clean washing any cooler but I am aware of how much water/electricity this is using so would like to reduce this if possible!

My avatar
Amanda
Cloth Nappy Worshipper
Cloth Nappy Worshipper

Re: How many nappies per day and how often do you wash?

Postby Amanda » Wed Jun 30, 2010 7:17 pm

Our dirty nappies go in a standard size swing top bin in the bathroom which seems to hold about three days worth, although for the last couple of days we've been using fewer nappies as Finn's been using the potty at home. I don't have a big stash and washing every three days is about right for us, although if they don't dry quickly Finn ends up in my very very least favourite nappies!

My avatar
ebonina
Cloth Nappy Addict
Cloth Nappy Addict

Postby ebonina » Wed Jun 30, 2010 7:25 pm

I wash every other day otherwise I think the washer is over loaded. That is about 12-14 nappies, plus wipes and wet bags.

My avatar
Amanda
Cloth Nappy Worshipper
Cloth Nappy Worshipper

Postby Amanda » Wed Jun 30, 2010 7:28 pm

ebonina wrote:I wash every other day otherwise I think the washer is over loaded. That is about 12-14 nappies, plus wipes and wet bags.

Oh yes that's true, I got a new machine quite recently with a 7kg drum and find I can easily wash every three days but with my old machine it was two to three days depending on how many nappies we'd gone through.

My avatar
vampiredreams
Cloth Nappy Fanatic
Cloth Nappy Fanatic

Postby vampiredreams » Wed Jun 30, 2010 7:31 pm

I wash every other day and it's usually between 16-20 nappies including the night ones...

We store ours in a standard swing top bin and find it's about right

My avatar
tanya
Cloth Nappy Wise Woman
Cloth Nappy Wise Woman

Postby tanya » Wed Jun 30, 2010 7:34 pm

I'm washing every other day at the moment, but I currently have 2 in cloth. Bella wear 4-5 day nappies and 1 night nappy, Jake wears up to 8 or 9 nappies a day as he is changed at every feed, even through the night and on the odd occasion where he poops between feeds.

This means there are a LOT of nappies in the wash, but most of them are tiny, so dn't take up much room.

We have 2 16L nappy buckets, which will be mostly full by the time I do a wash (one is completely full and one is about 1/2 full). One lives in the bathroom and one lives in the kids bedroom.

I do a 60 degree wash with prewash and extra water, followed by a 40 degree wash. My machine uses very little water and doesn't have the option for extra rinses, so a second wash is necessary to get all the detergent out. It has a 7kg drum capacity.

My avatar
Frances
Cloth Nappy Wise Woman
Cloth Nappy Wise Woman

Postby Frances » Wed Jun 30, 2010 7:39 pm

We use 5-6 nappies per day, and tend to wash every two days, or three at the most - I find that 12-15 nappies get cleaner than 18-20, and it's not so much of a chore to deal with a smaller load.

My avatar
megansmummy
Cloth Nappy Goddess
Cloth Nappy Goddess

Postby megansmummy » Wed Jun 30, 2010 7:40 pm

I use 6 nappies per day (incl a night nappy) and we wash every other day, i have a 9kg drum so could fit plenty more in but i dont like to leave them sitting around more than 2 days really...sometimes i stretch to the 3rd morning but i ususally only have a max of 15 nappies in the wash :)

And like frances said its less of a chore with less to hang out :oops:

My avatar
choccylisa
Cloth Nappy Aficionado
Cloth Nappy Aficionado

Postby choccylisa » Wed Jun 30, 2010 7:40 pm

:idea: I have two nappy buckets, they hold about two days worth so wash every third day, we have a 6kg drum so is just about right. I wash at 60 then long rinse once using Bold 2 in 1.

Next

Return to Cloth Nappy Chat