hf1

How many nappies per day and how often do you wash?

My avatar
paintedclaws
Cloth Nappy Fanatic
Cloth Nappy Fanatic

Re: How many nappies per day and how often do you wash?

Postby paintedclaws » Wed Jun 30, 2010 7:52 pm

Poppy and Noah go through around 4-5 nappies each a day and i usually have a maximum of 16 in the wash. So about a day and a halfs worth. Any more and i struggle to get them clean. Thats a full swing-bins worth and they fit on the airer perfectly too. :giggle:

My avatar
chocmuffin
Sucker for Cloth Nappies
Sucker for Cloth Nappies

Postby chocmuffin » Wed Jun 30, 2010 9:00 pm

:idea: I used to wash every 3 days when I only had Cara, she was using 4-5 a day & was in sposies at night! Now I have George who is using 5- 6 a day & Cara is also now in cloth at night :wine: , so I wash every 1 1/2 - 2 days. Usually about 16 in a wash! I've got 3 nappy bins 1 in each childs bedroom & 1 hidden behind the sofa.

My avatar
JabberJabber
Cloth Nappy Prophet
Cloth Nappy Prophet

Postby JabberJabber » Wed Jun 30, 2010 9:06 pm

We normally wash every 2 days. Oliver uses about 5-6 per day, but we only have 2 night nappies, so not enough to be disposable free.

Depending on how mucky the nappies are, I do a cool rinse and then a 40degree wash with an extra rinse at the end. If they are very mucky, I'll do a full wash, then a 40degree wash and extra rinse. Our washing machine is pants and needs replacing, so I'm looking forward to getting one with better options.

My avatar
iesha45
Clothie
Clothie

Postby iesha45 » Wed Jun 30, 2010 9:35 pm

we dont have many nappies so i wash every day :hohoho: iesha

My avatar
Miss_Purple
Cloth Nappy Aficionado
Cloth Nappy Aficionado

Postby Miss_Purple » Wed Jun 30, 2010 9:42 pm

We use about 5-6 nappies a day plus a night nappy, and I wash roughly every 2 days - normally 11 nappies in a wash as that's all my 16l bucket will hold. I keep thinking about buying a bigger nappy bucket so I can wash every 3rd day, but then I'm not sure they would fit in the machine so well. Sometimes if I'm out and about during the day when I'm due to wash I'll wait until I get home with the wetbag and then do those as well, so then it'll be 15-16 nappies, but then I'm starting to run low unless I switch for a pockets day (normally in fitteds).

DD will be going to nursery in September so will be in pockets on three days a week and fitteds when at home with me, I might try and wash less often then as I have enough pockets or fitteds for 2 days of each :wink:

We need a new washing machine though and I'm hoping to get one with a bigger capacity. I used to just wash, but I now do a cool rinse, then a 40 wash (60 maybe once a month) and then finish with another rinse, as I found my fitteds were getting a bit whiffy and had to strip them, so I'm trying to avoid that by using the rinses.

My avatar
pinksalmon2001
Sucker for Cloth Nappies
Sucker for Cloth Nappies

Postby pinksalmon2001 » Thu Jul 01, 2010 7:25 am

Thanks ladies :)

Having just done a slightly larger than usual load (approx 2.5 days) I have decided to stick to washing every other day as the larger load together with fleece liners and cloth wipes just didn't seem as clean as usual. I normally do a cold rinse followed by a 60 sensitive wash with the wash plus and extra water options pressed(we have an A+ machine that hardly uses any water) - it takes approx 3 hours but the sensitive option seems to rinse the most and get rid of any detergent!

My avatar
Bluebell
Cloth Nappy Addict
Cloth Nappy Addict

Postby Bluebell » Thu Jul 01, 2010 8:44 am

We wash when the nappy bin is full, about every other day. There's usually 10-12 nappies in each wash. The washing machine would probably hold more, but the bin won't!

My avatar
rachymoo
Cloth Nappy Addict
Cloth Nappy Addict

Postby rachymoo » Thu Jul 01, 2010 12:48 pm

We use about 6 per day, including the night nappy. I keep the nappy bucket in the kitchen (is that bad? lol) and wash every other day. To be honest I'd like to wash every 3rd day rather than every 2nd, but need to get a few more nappies as I don't think we've got quite enough at the moment. (Any excuse :hohoho: )

Rach xx

My avatar
Kirstyh
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox

Postby Kirstyh » Thu Jul 01, 2010 12:52 pm

When Gracie was in day nappies I washed every other day and that was usually 12 nappies plus wipes etc. WE have a large drum machine. Now a load is 4 night nappies :giggle:

PreviousNext

Return to Cloth Nappy Chat