hf1

Help choosing new cloth stash for toddler not ready to TT

My avatar
kiwimama
Clothie
Clothie

Help choosing new cloth stash for toddler not ready to TT

Postby kiwimama » Wed Jul 07, 2010 1:40 pm

Hi! We have been using Tots Bots bamboozles with Motherease wraps since we started with cloth when DS was 6mths, he is now coming up two and I know the tots are way to small for him and the ME wraps are leaving red marks now so we need to update our collection.

The problem is I just copied a friend with the tots and luckily they worked well for us, I find all the options very confusing and not really keen to buy randomly and flog if they dont work out. I know every child is different so no guarantees what works for one will work for another but I'm hoping a few recommendations might point us in the right direction.

DS is 2 at the end of this month, 95cm tall and 37lbs. He has solid thighs but not chubby, slim-ish waist / bottom I'd say. I think we are a good 6mths from any serious TT as he isnt showing any signs of interest in the toilet / potty at the moment (well he will sit on the potty and read Daddy's car magazines for 10mins every couple of days but its been a good month since he's actually pee'd in it!!)

The Nappy Lady online advice service recommend Bambinex All in One, birth to potty but that seems to only go to 35lbs and someone else said they are not very absorbent. I found the Fuzzibunz Perfect Size range does a large 25lb to 45lb nappy that could work, not used pockets before but I have 5 tots bots bamboo boosters I assume I can use.

I dont have any nappies for the newborn to 6mths range and intend to use cloth when we have a second child (not pregnant yet) so from a cost saving point of view a birth to potty would be great but I doubt these would fit my tall lad and I dont really mind having to buy a newborn stash in the future so not a big deal.

Any recommendations from the lovely cloth mama's out there??

My avatar
northernruth
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox

Re: Help choosing new cloth stash for toddler not ready to TT

Postby northernruth » Wed Jul 07, 2010 1:47 pm

I think there's not much point in buying more BTP IMO, as your LO is at the end of the size range. We loved our Fuzzi bunz, my LO fit in a medium until she PT'd and we still used them at night until about 2 months ago. (not really suitable for night use but she didn't wet at night, was for the comfort factor!).

You will need to get more inserts if you use pockets, and it's a but hit and miss as to what will work. As he gets more bladder control he will be more likely to flood a nappy, and TBH we had a few leaks as Martha got near to PT;ing - but then again, that level of control is a sign that they are ready to PT!

I'm sure some of the ladies who use fitteds will be able to advise you as to what works for them, but I'd be tempted to get a couple of fuzzis and see how you go. We always used a combination of microfibre inserts on top with hemp or bamboo underneath.

My avatar
Shaunie
Cloth Nappy Worshipper
Cloth Nappy Worshipper

Postby Shaunie » Wed Jul 07, 2010 1:51 pm

I have tall boys - DS1 is TT but DS2 still in nappies. I only use pockets but can tell you that the Upsy Daisy size large is LARGE! I think most larges do go up to 35lbs (ish) but some are definitely roomier than others. They are high on the rise as well as having goo adjustability on the side snaps. You will of course need inserts for these (bamboo & hemp better IMO).

I'm sure some of the ladies whoc use fitteds will have some suggestions.

My avatar
kermitgirl
Cloth Nappy Groupie
Cloth Nappy Groupie

Postby kermitgirl » Wed Jul 07, 2010 4:03 pm

Stuffies are great fitted. The size 2 is pretty generous, the size three fits my average sized 4.5 year old as a night nappy maybe a bit big for your LO yet. http://www.angeltots.co.uk/ourshop/cat_ ... ppies.html

Airflows in a large are a reliable wrap if you think it is the tightness causing the red marks rather than a senstivity. Nature baby, Wee Notions, thirsties and blueberry also do well thought of wraps. There's lots about preloved so you can try before splashing lots of cash.

My avatar
chocmuffin
Sucker for Cloth Nappies
Sucker for Cloth Nappies

Postby chocmuffin » Wed Jul 07, 2010 8:16 pm

:idea: I would stick with what you've got in the next size up it you find that there working for you!

I'm guessing you are using totsbots size 2, but you can get size 3 (35lb+)-

http://www.babykind.co.uk/bamboozlesorder.htm

Am guessing you are using size large ME wraps so you could get X Large (35-45lb)!

http://www.babykind.co.uk/wrapsairfloworder.htm

Hope this helps :lol:

My avatar
kiwimama
Clothie
Clothie

Postby kiwimama » Wed Jul 07, 2010 8:41 pm

Thanks for your replies, I had heard the bamboozles came in size three but must admit am choking at thought of spending over 70quid on one days worth of nappies / wrap combo (5 and 2), I suppose i'm looking at 50quid in reality anyhow!

My avatar
chocmuffin
Sucker for Cloth Nappies
Sucker for Cloth Nappies

Postby chocmuffin » Wed Jul 07, 2010 8:53 pm

:idea: I have also used motherease toddlerease nappies (35lb+) they very good! You can sometimes get them on ebay fairly cheap! But the best way to get all that you need at great prices is on the classifieds wanted section, I put a post on for my wanted XL wraps & got some new for £5 & £6 ea within a few hrs, bargin!
For wraps you could also look for popollini wraps as they are the same as ME ones but cheaper! :lol:
Good luck :lol:

My avatar
e586
Sucker for Cloth Nappies
Sucker for Cloth Nappies

Postby e586 » Wed Jul 07, 2010 9:02 pm

chocmuffin wrote::idea: I have also used motherease toddlerease nappies (35lb+) they very good! You can sometimes get them on ebay fairly cheap! But the best way to get all that you need at great prices is on the classifieds wanted section, I put a post on for my wanted XL wraps & got some new for £5 & £6 ea within a few hrs, bargin!
For wraps you could also look for popollini wraps as they are the same as ME ones but cheaper! :lol:
Good luck :lol:

recommend the toddlerease too- those are great! :) Hope you find something that works, and also agree with posting a Wanted request :)

My avatar
hellsbells82
Clothie
Clothie

Postby hellsbells82 » Wed Jul 07, 2010 9:21 pm

Sorry- v.brief as bf'ing, but have you considered BG flips? I liked them for TT as I could put a really thin insert in as a just in case, and she'd still know if she'd gone, they fit my almost 2.5yr old fine, and the plus side is I'm now using them on DS

Next

Return to Cloth Nappy Chat