hf1

smelly nappies!

My avatar
boothyboysmummy
Cloth Nappy Follower
Cloth Nappy Follower

smelly nappies!

Postby boothyboysmummy » Sat Jul 10, 2010 10:20 pm

i have stripped them plenty but it seems to be certain materials, i use wnnn old style,and hemp,bamboo fitteds with disana wool and they all stink of ammonia horribly in the morning :drama:
are there certain fabrics that smell more than others?do some react to wee more? im using my flips now as dont seem quite as bad but hes getting a rash because of the PUL :(

My avatar
cazza1982_123
Cloth Nappy Lover
Cloth Nappy Lover

Re: smelly nappies!

Postby cazza1982_123 » Sun Jul 11, 2010 1:05 am

Oh my god someone please have the answer because all my nappies stink and I sent OH out for nature babycare's earlier... I need to strip them but tried once and it didn't work so am worried. I don't want to use dispicables but am worried I don't have a choice. My LO's nappies smell v bad :x :( :shock: :oops:

My avatar
shoogah01
Sucker for Cloth Nappies
Sucker for Cloth Nappies

Postby shoogah01 » Sun Jul 11, 2010 2:12 am

What washing powder do you use? I was using fairy non bio and had really strong ammonia smell (especially in the mornings) even after stripping but recently we switched to using ariel bio powder and have had no ammonia problems :wine:
you could try stripping again, I use soda crystals for stripping with the bio powder for one wash cycle then rinse until there are no more bubbles coming out of the nappies.

I have also heard that using liquid detergent instead of powder can cause smelly nappies.

We have the same problem with PUL :cry: so we have to use wool or fleece and I do find that the nappies have a slightly stronger ammonia smell because of the evaporation of the wee during the night. Hope this helps :hug:

My avatar
beck
Cloth Nappy Ninky Nonk
Cloth Nappy Ninky Nonk

Postby beck » Sun Jul 11, 2010 2:40 am

Its very common for night nappies to smell of amonia and be quiet eye watering. Especially if LO is teething.

My avatar
monsterm
Cloth Nappy Worshipper
Cloth Nappy Worshipper

Postby monsterm » Sun Jul 11, 2010 7:41 am

beck wrote:Its very common for night nappies to smell of amonia and be quiet eye watering. Especially if LO is teething.

WSS. A's nappies are incredibly eye-watering in the mornings when she is teething.

My avatar
boothyboysmummy
Cloth Nappy Follower
Cloth Nappy Follower

Postby boothyboysmummy » Sun Jul 11, 2010 8:02 am

thankyou everyone,wow thats helpfull :D right so i use areal liquid bio the new actilift stuff and hes cutting 3 teeth at once(10month and just starting!)so no wonder its eye watering :giggle: im going to get some soda crystals, do they have a brand name or anything? :roll: are they in tesco?
i used a tots fluffles last night and wasnt as bad as is old wnnn, :thumbsup: shame ive sold all my fluffles and just saved one :(

My avatar
coastal
Cloth Nappy Nutter
Cloth Nappy Nutter

Postby coastal » Sun Jul 11, 2010 9:01 am

monsterm wrote:
beck wrote:Its very common for night nappies to smell of amonia and be quiet eye watering. Especially if LO is teething.

WSS. A's nappies are incredibly eye-watering in the mornings when she is teething.

Same issue here. Not pleasant... but neither is the chemical smell you would get if using a disposable. :lol:

If it's just in the morning, then it is probably just incredibly strong teething urine. When using wool, more water gets the chance to evaporate, which make what's left in the nappy more concentrated (and smelly!) - good for their bottoms... you just have to hold your breath when first going into the room in the morning. :lol:

If it's every nappy, then it's probably detergent. My DS's urine seems to react with even the slightest residue. We were getting an awful smell on peeing, using the tiniest amount of non-bio (even with extra rinses), so switched to soap nuts and haven't had the problem since. :D

My avatar
boothyboysmummy
Cloth Nappy Follower
Cloth Nappy Follower

Postby boothyboysmummy » Sun Jul 11, 2010 9:51 am

:giggle: ooh whats soap nuts??? :oops:

My avatar
coastal
Cloth Nappy Nutter
Cloth Nappy Nutter

Postby coastal » Sun Jul 11, 2010 10:00 am

boothyboysmummy wrote::giggle: ooh whats soap nuts??? :oops:

clicky linky thing (they don't sell them anymore, but have good info pages)

Next

Return to Cloth Nappy Chat