hf1

smelly nappies!

My avatar
Shaunie
Cloth Nappy Worshipper
Cloth Nappy Worshipper

Re: smelly nappies!

Postby Shaunie » Mon Jul 12, 2010 8:05 am

boothyboysmummy wrote:just a quick question...ive heard you can use baking powder?well i have already got this,but it says use vinager after to rinse, is this normal vinager what you put on chips?(sorry to be thick) :roll:

I'm not sure which one but it may be white vinegar (the stuff you get at supermarket) rather than malt vinegar? :-?

My avatar
emmavmorgan
Cloth Nappy Addict
Cloth Nappy Addict

Postby emmavmorgan » Mon Jul 12, 2010 10:44 am

Shaunie wrote:
boothyboysmummy wrote:just a quick question...ive heard you can use baking powder?well i have already got this,but it says use vinager after to rinse, is this normal vinager what you put on chips?(sorry to be thick) :roll:

I'm not sure which one but it may be white vinegar (the stuff you get at supermarket) rather than malt vinegar? :-?

Its defiantly white vinegar that you need Balsamic's a bit sticky :hohoho:

My avatar
boothyboysmummy
Cloth Nappy Follower
Cloth Nappy Follower

Postby boothyboysmummy » Mon Jul 12, 2010 11:01 am

:oops: thankyou :lookround:
just been to spar but none so looks like im off to tesco!!!
ppl who have got/had this problem, is there any make of nappy that they thought hmm this ones not as smelly???? :giggle:

My avatar
Shaunie
Cloth Nappy Worshipper
Cloth Nappy Worshipper

Postby Shaunie » Mon Jul 12, 2010 11:14 am

boothyboysmummy wrote::oops: thankyou :lookround:
just been to spar but none so looks like im off to tesco!!!
ppl who have got/had this problem, is there any make of nappy that they thought hmm this ones not as smelly???? :giggle:

I only used pockets in the day & my bamboo inserts are fine - I did used to notice a bad smell when I used microfibre though.

My night nappies are the smelly ones - I found WNNN (old & new versions) really bad for smells - no idea why but even after stripping, they were still stinky :-?. I sold them all in the end though because we got leaks with them.

Wonder if anyone else can shed some light :wink:

My avatar
boothyboysmummy
Cloth Nappy Follower
Cloth Nappy Follower

Postby boothyboysmummy » Sun Jul 18, 2010 1:44 pm

right ive bought white vinager and soda crystals, where do they go?in the drum or in the draw etc etc and any soap powder etc ooh so many questions sorry!
all my flips have started leaking again after 1-2hrs but not long since stripped so want to strip agen as they is no gaping or anying...the insert is pretty wet though maybe is suddenly become a mega pee-er!! :shock:

My avatar
Orchid
Cloth Nappy Follower
Cloth Nappy Follower

Postby Orchid » Sun Jul 18, 2010 5:18 pm

The only time ds' nappies have smelt was when I discovered after hanging them all out that the detergent was still stuck in the drawer. I couldn't be bothered putting them back in for another 2 hour wash so left them. And they stunk! So I kinda have a theory. Too little detergent doesn't get them clean and you get ammonia buildup. That's my theory ayway. I know others wouldn't agree. So I use a good amount of detergent and was rinsing about 2 times. But my washing machine was getting confused as it has a dial and forgot where it was supposed to be so after a rinse it would still be full of water. So have been putting nappies through a 40 degree wash afterwards with no detergent Instead of the rinses. I remember dds nappies smelt really bad and don't want that again. I was forever striping them with vinegar and washing soda. Not sure how much you would need to use in a front loader as we had a top loader when dd was small and they use lots more water.
Last edited by Orchid on Sun Jul 18, 2010 5:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

My avatar
zippie-purple-monkey
Sucker for Cloth Nappies
Sucker for Cloth Nappies

Postby zippie-purple-monkey » Sun Jul 18, 2010 5:51 pm

We has same problem as the lo's were teething. It wasn't anything to do with a soap build up but rather the lack of powder and temperatue - I was washing at 40 and using very little powder. I did a 60 degree wash and added half of a normal dose of bold powder (I normally only add a heaped tablespoon), complete with one extra rinse - hey presto, yummy smelling nappies! Ours are bamboo also.

Hope it works for u!

My avatar
Orchid
Cloth Nappy Follower
Cloth Nappy Follower

Postby Orchid » Sun Jul 18, 2010 6:05 pm

zippie-purple-monkey wrote:We has same problem as the lo's were teething. It wasn't anything to do with a soap build up but rather the lack of powder and temperatue - I was washing at 40 and using very little powder. I did a 60 degree wash and added half of a normal dose of bold powder (I normally only add a heaped tablespoon), complete with one extra rinse - hey presto, yummy smelling nappies! Ours are bamboo also.

Hope it works for u!

After thinking about it what's the logic behind using less powder on a load of nappies that are much "dirtier" than a normal load of washing? And why would a strip wash work that uses a full dose of powder with lots of rinses if the problem were detergent buildup? Maybe try washing them with a bit more detergent and see what happens. Maybe using less powder doesn't get the teething wees and night wees out the nappy? Just a thought...

My avatar
boothyboysmummy
Cloth Nappy Follower
Cloth Nappy Follower

Postby boothyboysmummy » Sun Jul 18, 2010 7:40 pm

if i use more than a tablespoon my washer is white to the brim with bubbles!is this ok, should i still try more powder then?

Previous

Return to Cloth Nappy Chat