hf1

No tumble drier, crunchy nappies...try this....

My avatar
smilinglou
Cloth Nappy Addict
Cloth Nappy Addict

Re: No tumble drier, crunchy nappies...try this....

Postby smilinglou » Mon Jul 12, 2010 10:25 pm

fantastic idea, will try when I next throw the load in. I've noticed after the rain session we've had here that the nappies are much softer, plus wringing anything that has gone rock solid loosens and softens it up

My avatar
Miss_Purple
Cloth Nappy Aficionado
Cloth Nappy Aficionado

Postby Miss_Purple » Tue Jul 13, 2010 8:27 am

Just a quick update - I tried this with my nappy load last night and did 2 x spin cycles after the rinse with the eco balls thrown in for good measure. I can't say that I can notice any difference at the moment - although they aren't totally dry yet.

I think the tumble drier would work better as it tends to 'tumble' the clothes and change direction etc, causing more agitation, whereas the spin cycle on the washing machine just spins the clothes fast to centrifugally remove water, so the clothes just end up held still against the outside of the drum.

It does make me tempted to buy a washer/dryer when I replace my machine shortly, so that even if I don't use the heat in the dryer I can use the agitating motion to soften them. I've never wanted a tumble dryer before, but I have to be honest after seeing how much softer my nappies were last week with just 20mins at low heat I am very tempted now :oops:

My avatar
dawnsmummy
Cloth Nappy Ninky Nonk
Cloth Nappy Ninky Nonk

Postby dawnsmummy » Tue Jul 13, 2010 8:29 am

Miss_Purple wrote:It does make me tempted to buy a washer/dryer when I replace my machine shortly, so that even if I don't use the heat in the dryer I can use the agitating motion to soften them. I've never wanted a tumble dryer before, but I have to be honest after seeing how much softer my nappies were last week with just 20mins at low heat I am very tempted now :oops:

I've told OH that i want a washer/dryer when we get a new one. just for the fact that we'll be able to bang things in there if the weather is pants and we really need something dried!

And am I thinking wrongly? I thought you were to put them in on a spin once they were dry? :oops:

My avatar
tiyuricc
Sucker for Cloth Nappies
Sucker for Cloth Nappies

Postby tiyuricc » Tue Jul 13, 2010 8:34 am

it may have changed, but when we were looking at washers 4 or 5 years ago those that were washer/dryers were hugely inefficient to run - poor rating for electricity and poor rating for water usage so you'll end up paying a lot more to do your washing, particularly if you're on a water meter.

My avatar
dawnsmummy
Cloth Nappy Ninky Nonk
Cloth Nappy Ninky Nonk

Postby dawnsmummy » Tue Jul 13, 2010 8:35 am

tiyuricc wrote:it may have changed, but when we were looking at washers 4 or 5 years ago those that were washer/dryers were hugely inefficient to run - poor rating for electricity and poor rating for water usage so you'll end up paying a lot more to do your washing, particularly if you're on a water meter.

We're debating just getting a cheap second hand dryer tbh, as we're gonna have a utility room once we move (Hurrah! lol)

My avatar
Rebekahs_mum
Cloth Nappy Fanatic
Cloth Nappy Fanatic

Postby Rebekahs_mum » Tue Jul 13, 2010 9:40 am

dawnsmummy wrote:
tiyuricc wrote:it may have changed, but when we were looking at washers 4 or 5 years ago those that were washer/dryers were hugely inefficient to run - poor rating for electricity and poor rating for water usage so you'll end up paying a lot more to do your washing, particularly if you're on a water meter.

We're debating just getting a cheap second hand dryer tbh, as we're gonna have a utility room once we move (Hurrah! lol)

Utility room? I'm :mrgreen: :mrgreen: I'd love a utility room! :giggle:

I think you're much better off getting a separate dryer as they're meant to be far more effective. When we move I really want a dryer but dh wants a dishwasher so not sure who'll win as I can see the merits of both! :wink:

My avatar
dawnsmummy
Cloth Nappy Ninky Nonk
Cloth Nappy Ninky Nonk

Postby dawnsmummy » Tue Jul 13, 2010 9:53 am

Rebekahs_mum wrote:
dawnsmummy wrote:

Utility room? I'm :mrgreen: :mrgreen: I'd love a utility room! :giggle:

I think you're much better off getting a separate dryer as they're meant to be far more effective. When we move I really want a dryer but dh wants a dishwasher so not sure who'll win as I can see the merits of both! :wink:

OH's parents went the other week to measure up etc and apparently there's a dishwasher in there already :shock: Wish they'd left the cooker (It's a space for a big 6 ring cooker, not going to be cheap :roll: ) :giggle:

My avatar
helenNt
Cloth Nappy Nutter
Cloth Nappy Nutter

Postby helenNt » Tue Jul 13, 2010 10:13 am

I would steer clear of washer driers we ave had a couple in properties we have rented over the years and they have never worked properly. We found in the drier cycle they tend to add water in at the same time so what you get out is very hot sogging wet clothing. :x :x :x

Stay well clear is all I can say.

My avatar
helenNt
Cloth Nappy Nutter
Cloth Nappy Nutter

Postby helenNt » Tue Jul 13, 2010 10:15 am

dawnsmummy wrote:We're debating just getting a cheap second hand dryer tbh, as we're gonna have a utility room once we move (Hurrah! lol)

dawnsmummy wrote:OH's parents went the other week to measure up etc and apparently there's a dishwasher in there already :shock: Wish they'd left the cooker (It's a space for a big 6 ring cooker, not going to be cheap :roll: ) :giggle:

Wow your new place sounds like it is going to be a really good move for you. So happy for you

PreviousNext

Return to Cloth Nappy Chat