Using cloth on holiday

My avatar
ellie81
Clothie
Clothie

Using cloth on holiday

Postby ellie81 » Wed Jul 14, 2010 11:47 am

Hi,
My 7 week old ds is allergic to disposables, he had nappy rash from a few days old and despite lots of creams etc from the doctors he ended up with an open red bleeding rash all over his bum. The health visitor suggested using cloth and it worked! It has nearly healed now after 3 weeks in cloth (we put him in a disposable once while waiting for the cloth nappies to dry and the redness started to come back in a couple of hours.)

Obviously I really don't want to put him back in disposables but we are going on holiday in 2 weeks and I don't know what to do. We are going to center parks, there is no washing machine in the house but there is a launderette on site. Has anyone washed nappies in a launderette? Also I only have a nappy bucket, would I be better of with a big wet bag to take them to the launderette?

We were also hoping to go camping at some point over the summer, has anyone used cloth when camping? We will probably only go for a few days so might get away without washing but the thought of keeping lots of dirty nappies in a tent is not appealing!!

Sorry for the very long post and lot of probably stupid questions but I'm new to all this and need to learn quickly!

Thanks. :wink:

My avatar
chocmuffin
Sucker for Cloth Nappies
Sucker for Cloth Nappies

Re: Using cloth on holiday

Postby chocmuffin » Wed Jul 14, 2010 3:49 pm

:hug: Difficult one :-? Are you sure it was all disposables or just one brand, cos I know babies who have had reactions to one brand & not another!

If you are happy to carry the extra bulk away with you on holiday then I don't see why you shouldn't use cloth! I am guessing that the launderette is one where you DIY & if you are in charge of what powder goes in the machine then I'm sure it wouldn't be a problem, a bucket would do also. I think the problem would be drying them, however if you could get hold of some microfiber nappies or take plenty with you then that shouldn't be a problem either! :D

Camping :shock: now thats harder, you could put the nappy bucket in the car overnight that way you wouldn't have it next to you at night! But I wouldn't leave the nappies unwashed for longer than 36hrs, maybe you could find a launderette half way through & just do 1 wash!

Hope this helps :lol:

My avatar
clairelou88
Cloth Nappy Fanatic
Cloth Nappy Fanatic

Postby clairelou88 » Wed Jul 14, 2010 3:52 pm

take them, i am when were going in sept :wink: i also took them when we went on our cruise in april, we used a big wet bag for on the cruise and i washed every 2-3days, was fine :wine:
we used the tumble dryers on the cruise too, not sure if they ahve them at centre parks? were be taking all or pocket nappies, fuzzi's and weenotions as the dry so much quicker than our fitteds, think the have clothes racks in the rooms so you could just hang them up or around the place!
not sure about camping though, id try work my way round it to take them knowing me :giggle:

My avatar
cat27m
Cloth Nappy Addict
Cloth Nappy Addict

Postby cat27m » Wed Jul 14, 2010 7:12 pm

We're going to Centreparcs on Friday but it's the Whinfell one and there is no launderette. I'm taking our pockets and few fitteds and have enough to last the week :oops: but I'm going to rinse through the ones we use at the beginning of the week by hand so they're not sitting used for too long. Then I can just give them a proper wash when we get back. The things we do to keep using cloth!! :giggle:

Cathleen xx

My avatar
coastal
Cloth Nappy Nutter
Cloth Nappy Nutter

Postby coastal » Wed Jul 14, 2010 7:44 pm

I took pocket nappies on holiday because they dry quicker, but it would still be doable to use fitted nappies, if you don't mind/ are able to tumble dry them. I washed every other day and dried them naturally. The last evening, I washed them, but then tumble dried them, so I wasn't travelling home with a bag of wet nappies when it was hot.
Have you tried Moltex nappies? They are the most chemical free of the disposables. Very expensive, but it might be useful to find out if your DS would be ok with them, for emergencies.

...and YAY! that your HV suggesting cloth. :happypixies:

My avatar
tracedw
Cloth Nappy Addict
Cloth Nappy Addict

Postby tracedw » Wed Jul 14, 2010 8:00 pm

We went to Centerparcs in May this year at Elveden Forest, they have a laundrette but i just washed them by hand and hung out to dry in the sun, the only problem i found is that the back patio of our chalet was in the shade, whereas the last time we went there our drying area had full sun, i usually only take pockets because they dry quicker.
We are off to Turkey next week and again i will take a selection of pocket nappies, again i wash by hand and hang over the balcony to dry and i know it will be so hot things will dry in hours, i always give all nappies a strip wash when we get home.
I have never found taking washables on holiday a problem at all, and a funky Blueberry minkee looks soo much nicer by the pool than a manky dispo. :wine:

My avatar
littlesez
Cloth Nappy Guru
Cloth Nappy Guru
Site Supporter

Postby littlesez » Wed Jul 14, 2010 8:16 pm

I took all cloth to centre parcs and was fab (although did have a washing machine) if there is a launderette though go for it :D also done a week in norfolk handwashing cloth and line drying. Then just did a week in KOs with one pack of nature babies (no chemicals) disposables plus about 10 cloth nappies hand washing and balcony drying :D

My avatar
ellie81
Clothie
Clothie

Postby ellie81 » Wed Jul 14, 2010 8:21 pm

Thanks for all the replies. We've tried several different brands of disposables and he seems to react to all of them, but not tried the moltex ones yet so I might give those a go just so we would have something to use for emergencies (and camping!) Sounds like I will be able to wash them at center parks, we are using fitteds at the moment so drying might take a while but hopefully it will be sunny! Not quite sure how we are going to fit everything in the car though, will take some careful packing I think.

My avatar
coastal
Cloth Nappy Nutter
Cloth Nappy Nutter

Postby coastal » Wed Jul 14, 2010 9:42 pm

:giggle: By the time I'd packed the HUGE wetbag full of (dry) nappies, the grobag, the booster seat, the.....
I'm surprised there was room for clothes.
re Moltex - Spirit of Nature used to send out samples of Moltex and Bambo nappies. They have been taken over and aren't open for online orders yet, but if you email them, they might be willing to send you one out, if you explain it's something you need to try out before ordering due to his medical need. Might be worth a try.
If they say no, pm me, I think I might have one of the first size ones that I could send you - my DS spend most of his first month in and out of hospital and had to be in disposables. :( (Sorry, can't check at the moment because it's in his room.)

Next

Return to Cloth Nappy Chat