hf1

Help really needed - please read! :)

My avatar
cazzywoo
Clothie
Clothie

Help really needed - please read! :)

Postby cazzywoo » Fri Jul 16, 2010 11:05 am

Also posted in "washing nappies" but haven't had a response and getting desperate!!

Hi everyone,

I just wanted some advice about smelly nappies. When DS and DD get up in the mornings their nappies STINK, I mean, really really bad, a horrible strong ammonia/fishy smell bleurgh!! In fact, you can smell it when you walk past their bedrooms at night! :shock:
I have done strip washes with the dishwasher tablet, and they come out of the machine smelling clean, but the second they get wet with pee they stink again. The children drink enough water so their wee isnt too concentrated.
I just dont know what to do now, it happens with their daytime nappies as well as night ones, and it can be embarrassing when we go to visit people and my children stink!!

Its got to the point now where my husband has had enough of the smell, and is at the verge of making me go back to using disposables and throwing all my lovely nappies in the bin as I dont know what else to do. :cry: Hubby wont even hold the kids in the mornings cos they smell so bad, I have to get them up, get nappy off asap, give the children a shower or bath to get rid of smell from their skin.

Please help!!

My avatar
lazylexis
Cloth Nappy Worshipper
Cloth Nappy Worshipper

Re: Help really needed - please read! :)

Postby lazylexis » Fri Jul 16, 2010 11:41 am

I posted about this a while ago and the general consensus was that it's common and there wasn't a lot that could be done. I think it's just due to the length of tiem the nappy is on at night I'n afraid. DS's nappies always stink of ammonia in the morning.

My avatar
emmavmorgan
Sucker for Cloth Nappies
Sucker for Cloth Nappies

Postby emmavmorgan » Fri Jul 16, 2010 11:49 am

do you wash them in bio powder? There was another thread on here I think last week about the same thing I'll see if I can find it. :wink:

My avatar
emmavmorgan
Sucker for Cloth Nappies
Sucker for Cloth Nappies

Postby emmavmorgan » Fri Jul 16, 2010 11:51 am

viewtopic.php?f=23&t=52253 This is it hope it helps.

My avatar
Shaunie
Cloth Nappy Worshipper
Cloth Nappy Worshipper

Postby Shaunie » Fri Jul 16, 2010 11:55 am

Night nappies do stink :( but I don't think your day ones should? Hope info on the previous link helps :hug:

My avatar
Rox
Cloth Nappy Passionata
Cloth Nappy Passionata

Postby Rox » Fri Jul 16, 2010 4:34 pm

I would try stripping with the bicarb & white vinegar method... That should work a bit better than dishwasher tablet imho - it will thoroughly strip and deorderise them.

If youre not already, i would consider switching to bio too as others have suggested and be careful how much you use - the less the better, you want to use just enough to clean but not add any build up. Its a bit of trial and error. For example - i live in a very soft water area and on a 3 day wash (roughly 15 nappies) i use half a dessert spoon of powder, thats all for the whole load.

Erm.. Other than that, you might wanna try a nappy sanitiser in your wash - Mothercare do their own called nappy soak which you just add to your detergent, its supposed to kill all bacteria, so if there is anything in the nappies possibly making them smell then that should go.

Must be very frustrating for you. You certainly shouldnt have smelly nappies, yes, night nappies can be stinky in the morning, even more so when teething - but day nappies shouldnt smell, not to the point where you can smell it when youre NOT changing them.

Hope you get it sorted soon. Def thing a good strip will be the first step x

My avatar
grovergirl5
Clothie
Clothie

Postby grovergirl5 » Fri Jul 16, 2010 7:58 pm

we had this very same problem with our bumgenius nappies, not sure what type nappy you have. feel your pain, me and the dh were about to give up too, after all you don't want your bub and your house to stink of wee;-)! :x came to the conclusion after much reading around it was prob detergent build up which apparently lets yucky yeasts grow in the nappy making them stink when peed in. so the consensus was stripping was needed

what we did to strip was:
1.soaked all the nappy inserts in a dilute bleach soln (whatever domestos says the concentration for soaking is),
2.washed inserts and outers at 60, then kept putting through rinse cycles til there were no suds visible (takes several). 3.then turned the outers inside out and hung the whole lot outside (pref sunny and windy).

:wine: smell gone.

now whenever we wash the nappies we:
1.separate the insert from the outer before washing
2.put through a cool cycle first with no detergent
3. wash at 60' with small amount detergent non bio
4. double rinse cycle or more if lots of suds

i tend to stick dirty nappies straight in the machine until the next wash and close the door. saves any niffs permeating the house. although urine niffs now gone poo still pretty smelly :lol: if i'm doing a wash every third day, i would do a rinse cycle on the second day just so the nappies aren't sitting for too long soaking in urine. bumgenius recommend occasional bleaching to keep nappies fresh. bio detergent and vinegar suggested prev might work but depending on the nappy they might strip the waterproof inner (eg bumgenius says def don't use for theirs) so might be worth checking out the website of the brand you're using.

we did all this over a month ago and no problems since, will just repeat the stripping if problem happens again. sorry to be so longwinded but, without being dramatic :giggle: , i was nearly in tears over this so thought it might help you :idea:

My avatar
littlesez
Cloth Nappy Guru
Cloth Nappy Guru
Site Supporter

Postby littlesez » Fri Jul 16, 2010 8:12 pm

i would be tempted to tackle the ammonia smell. get them to drink barley water, it dilutes the wee so its not strong iykwim we did this and it worked and stopped nappy rash too :D

My avatar
e586
Sucker for Cloth Nappies
Sucker for Cloth Nappies

Postby e586 » Fri Jul 16, 2010 9:15 pm

some good suggestions- hope you solve the problem soon!

Return to Cloth Nappy Chat