Cloth in the hospital... wipes too?

My avatar
docmaggoo
Cloth Nappy Aficionado
Cloth Nappy Aficionado

Cloth in the hospital... wipes too?

Postby docmaggoo » Mon Jul 19, 2010 12:04 pm

Just been thinking?
Definitely gonna use cloth from birth with DC2 when the time comes & DH is brill with nappy washes at home, so bringing it all home whilst im in is not a prob
Would you take washable wipes too?
Will only use water - but I just hate cotton wool, its too fiddly & you seem to use loads of it!

My avatar
michebe
Cloth Nappy Lover
Cloth Nappy Lover

Re: Cloth in the hospital... wipes too?

Postby michebe » Mon Jul 19, 2010 12:10 pm

May as well, if your dh is gonna be washing nappies, a few extra wipes in there aint got make much difference :)

My avatar
choccylisa
Cloth Nappy Aficionado
Cloth Nappy Aficionado

Postby choccylisa » Mon Jul 19, 2010 12:12 pm

Just a wonder - does your hospital allow cloth? When I had ds2 my mw told me ours didn't allow it :( :x

My avatar
Shaunie
Cloth Nappy Worshipper
Cloth Nappy Worshipper

Postby Shaunie » Mon Jul 19, 2010 12:15 pm

choccylisa wrote:Just a wonder - does your hospital allow cloth? When I had ds2 my mw told me ours didn't allow it :( :x

:shock: Wow, have never heard of that before.

I'd say take washable wipes too. Yes, when using cotton wool you do use lots, especially those 1st poo's :giggle:

My avatar
choccylisa
Cloth Nappy Aficionado
Cloth Nappy Aficionado

Postby choccylisa » Mon Jul 19, 2010 12:26 pm

Shaunie wrote:
choccylisa wrote:Just a wonder - does your hospital allow cloth? When I had ds2 my mw told me ours didn't allow it :( :x

:shock: Wow, have never heard of that before.

I'd say take washable wipes too. Yes, when using cotton wool you do use lots, especially those 1st poo's :giggle:

Have to admit, I never asked in the actual hospital, I mentioned it to the mw and she told me I wouldn't be able to use cloth there.

My avatar
*tinkerbellarella*
Cloth Nappy Passionata
Cloth Nappy Passionata

Postby *tinkerbellarella* » Mon Jul 19, 2010 12:38 pm

our plan was to use cloth from birth, but our washing machine broke down a few days b4 i had oakley. so we went with sposies instead, but tbh nothing fitted him properly till about a week ago anyway, now he's in cloth 90 per cent of the time. most hospital's will allow it soi was told as long as u are washing ur own stuff etc.

My avatar
gayleygoo
Cloth Nappy Passionata
Cloth Nappy Passionata

Postby gayleygoo » Mon Jul 19, 2010 12:51 pm

Yes definitely take washables wipes too :wink: even the mw who was curiously watching me put DS in cloth nappies commented on the washable wipes, saying the looked far more effective than cotton wool that just falls apart everywhere :wink: Plus you'd have to throw the cotton wool in the bin becuase you dont want it getting washed with the nappies! The wipes can just be bunged into the wetbag with the nappies.

Personally I would probably ignore a hospitals requests to not use cloth nappies. Can they really "not allow" it? :-? Bring them anyway and if they say anything just tell them you dont want chemically disposables on your new baby. And if they insist on sposies then tell them they'll have to provide them because you wont be buying any just for them! I certainly cant see any hygenic reason why cloth nappies that are being taken home to be washed are any worse than disposable nappies.

My avatar
docmaggoo
Cloth Nappy Aficionado
Cloth Nappy Aficionado

Postby docmaggoo » Mon Jul 19, 2010 7:07 pm

Think I'm not going to mention that I wanna use cloth!
After putting DS into sposies for 10-11wks because he was so skinny & small and I didn't know that they made super tiny cloth nappies.... and now 19months on - I'm determined that DC2 never has a sposie on!

I agree - i'm just gonna turn up with them!
Can't see why they would object?

I'm saving them money on their rubbish bags & cotton wool!!!!!!!!!!!!!

My avatar
choccylisa
Cloth Nappy Aficionado
Cloth Nappy Aficionado

Postby choccylisa » Mon Jul 19, 2010 7:12 pm

I don't really know why, or whether it was just the mw as she did turn her nose up when I mentioned them. If we have another one then I'll take cloth with me. My only problem with ds2 was that my dh only came in twice for an hour as he had the kids to look after, so can only imagine the smell of a few days worth of newborn nappies hanging around if I had used them :giggle:

Return to Cloth Nappy Chat