hf1

So would I be ok with just buying pockets?

My avatar
hermya
Cloth Nappy Lover
Cloth Nappy Lover

So would I be ok with just buying pockets?

Postby hermya » Mon Jul 19, 2010 9:53 pm

It's coming to the point where my hubby is going to lift the cloth nappy embargo that is ongoing at the moment :wine: .

It's going to be my stash for when LO comes along, so my question is this. Would I be ok with mostly buying pocket nappies like bumgenius, lollipop popngro and a few other random brands? I am going to get the occasional itti, kushie and I have some tots bots cotton bottoms and some motherease wraps already.

Do you think this will be ok considering my child isn't even here yet? I'm just trying to get us to six months old when I go back to work and I can rebuy any more in bulk if I need to.

My avatar
Amanda
Cloth Nappy Worshipper
Cloth Nappy Worshipper

Re: So would I be ok with just buying pockets?

Postby Amanda » Mon Jul 19, 2010 10:05 pm

BGs will do you beyond 6 months, don't know about the others as I didn't use them.

I personally preferred two parters like little lambs when my two were tiny as I always found them better for containment of runny poo, but I know there are ladies here who have used pockets from birth without a problem.

Sorry, not much help!

My avatar
woollywumpkins
Cloth Nappy Nutter
Cloth Nappy Nutter

Postby woollywumpkins » Tue Jul 20, 2010 7:43 am

We had runny poo issues also. No pockets here until about 12 weeks in.

My avatar
megansmummy
Cloth Nappy Goddess
Cloth Nappy Goddess

Postby megansmummy » Tue Jul 20, 2010 7:47 am

I would be weary of only having pockets to be honist...i only bought BG's with my daughter and they lasted us untill she was 18 months but then she outgrew them...

The only thing with pockets/one size nappies is that they may be way to big on a newborn depending on their weight/shape etc when born...and also depending on when your planning to start using cloth.

If i was going to buy one one type of nappy for a newborn then i would fo with a 2 parter such as little lambs and team them with motherease or thirsties wraps as they offer so much more protection, are much more leak proof etc than pockets in my opinion :)

Good luck and congratulations!! :pregnant:

My avatar
Mareth
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox

Postby Mareth » Tue Jul 20, 2010 7:52 am

Just wanted to add on the BG thing, Rhys is almost 3 now and his BG V3s still fit him fine.

My avatar
fleur08
Cloth Nappy Nutter
Cloth Nappy Nutter

Postby fleur08 » Tue Jul 20, 2010 8:12 am

i never had probs with pockets & bf poo, found fuzzi bunz & bumgenius great & dont look too huge.
i also liked little lambs but found em grew out of the size 1s by about 10 weeks -too short in the rise, sandys were great & found the sizing is good, can still just about squeeze her into a small -shes 2 next week!

My avatar
Amanda
Cloth Nappy Worshipper
Cloth Nappy Worshipper

Postby Amanda » Tue Jul 20, 2010 8:15 am

Yes definitely depends on the shape of the baby/toddler, BGs have done both mine up to PTing. But I agree with Tory, little lambs and motherease wraps gets my vote for the early days. And LL size 1s lasted my little shrimp for ages :giggle: . I didn't really use pockets til we got more solid post-weaning poo, but my boys are very skinny and I could never get a fit around the legs that I trusted to keep it all inside. Alot to do with shape and size.

My avatar
CharlottesClan
Cloth Nappy Lover
Cloth Nappy Lover

Postby CharlottesClan » Tue Jul 20, 2010 12:39 pm

i wouldnt. i would buy 2 parters to do you the first 6 months. then switch to pockets. you would need a silly amount of pockets to last a newborn as they poo so often (we once changed george 15 times in one day :shock: :shock: ) as soon as they are on solids you need alot less in your rotation.

but thats just what i found, i know some people do pockets from birth. we mixed and matched as i had my older daughter in them so was easier to take out one nappy for both of them and just adjust the size to suit. but at home we used fitteds.

My avatar
Annette
Cloth Nappy Ninky Nonk
Cloth Nappy Ninky Nonk

Postby Annette » Tue Jul 20, 2010 12:43 pm

We have pretty much exclusively used pockets from birth. We did have a few 2 parters in the beginning but quickly found we preferred pockets. I used BG from a few weeks old without problems and Ben still fits them now :D

It does all depend on the shape and size of your baby and whether they contain the poo - 2 parters are generally more reliable as there are 2 lines of defence but Ben has always had very runny poo (sorry TMI) and we only have pockets now.

Next

Return to Cloth Nappy Chat