Cloth nappies made in the UK

My avatar
kath77
Clothie
Clothie

Re: Cloth nappies made in the UK

Postby kath77 » Sun Jul 25, 2010 12:06 pm

Good point, thank you :-?

I was told recently that my friend's bamboo nappies are better for the environment than my microfibre ones, but there's not a lot of bamboo grown in the UK...!

More research needed :coffee:

My avatar
ladybird
Cloth Nappy Aficionado
Cloth Nappy Aficionado

Postby ladybird » Sun Jul 25, 2010 12:32 pm

kath77 wrote:Good point, thank you :-?

I was told recently that my friend's bamboo nappies are better for the environment than my microfibre ones, but there's not a lot of bamboo grown in the UK...!

More research needed :coffee:

There's more to it than distances. Bamboo grows extremely fast and without chemicals. Again, there's more to it than that, but it's generally thought better for the environment than a lot of other materials. Non-organic cotton is terrible, one of the worst plants for chemicals. There's also the processes used to turn a crop into a fabric to think about.

Onelife, whilst not made here (I think possibly made in Turkey, they were talking about moving production from China to Turkey a few years ago), are shipped rather than flown here. Or they used to be.

My avatar
Isla'smum
Clothie
Clothie

Postby Isla'smum » Sun Jul 25, 2010 3:13 pm

nappynutter wrote:http://bonne-vie.net/index.php/2009/bamboo-eco-friendly-or-green-disaster/

OMG I have loads of bamboo nappies as I thought they were better for the environment :shock:

My avatar
nappynutter
Cloth Nappy Fanatic
Cloth Nappy Fanatic

Postby nappynutter » Sun Jul 25, 2010 6:55 pm

Isla'smum wrote:
nappynutter wrote:http://bonne-vie.net/index.php/2009/bamboo-eco-friendly-or-green-disaster/

OMG I have loads of bamboo nappies as I thought they were better for the environment :shock:

They're still way better than disposables. :wink:

My avatar
gayleygoo
Cloth Nappy Passionata
Cloth Nappy Passionata

Postby gayleygoo » Mon Jul 26, 2010 8:42 am

Also, buying UK made nappies supports UK jobs (and WAHMs, if you buy from them) rather than exploited labour in foreign countries :wink:

My avatar
kath77
Clothie
Clothie

Postby kath77 » Mon Jul 26, 2010 10:23 am

Hmm, perhaps I'll just go along the "cloth nappies are way more cute..." route! But yes, I think whatever fabric/type you get, they're still more eco-friendly than disposables. Especially when you consider 2nd, 3rd babies and then passing or selling them on afterwards.

My avatar
alemum
Cloth Nappy Lover
Cloth Nappy Lover

Postby alemum » Wed Jul 28, 2010 9:24 am

some companies, if say 70% are made in the UK and 30% are made in China then they are allowed to say made in the UK, not sure if its this percentage exact but its something along these lines. But there's also the other side of things that if nappies are made over seas in factories that meets governments standards then surely providing jobs to poor countries is a good thing.

My avatar
zoeyboo
Cloth Nappy Aficionado
Cloth Nappy Aficionado

Postby zoeyboo » Wed Jul 28, 2010 9:27 am

I think Little Lambs are made in the UK too :D

(now I feel bad about my US WAHM addiction :oops: )

PreviousNext

Return to Cloth Nappy Chat