hf1

Bumgenius Inserts

My avatar
Freddiesmama
Clothie
Clothie

Bumgenius Inserts

Postby Freddiesmama » Thu Jul 22, 2010 2:01 pm

Hi, I hope someone might be able to help me.
Most of my bumgenius inserts have somehow become pretty much unusable and I don't know what caused it :(
Basically they are all curled up at the ends etc and don't lay flat in the nappy, meaning uncomfortable buldges for baby.
I'm not sure what happened to them exactly, I used them for over 18 months (as main nappies), with them staying straight then suddenly with each wash they stated curling!
Anyone have any ideas either of how to fix them, or what caused it (so I don't ruin the new ones I have bought!).
Here is a picture of 3 of them to give you an idea what I am talking about :wink:

this is them laid as flat as I could get them to stay!!

Thanks

My avatar
cumbrianlass
Cloth Nappy Lover
Cloth Nappy Lover

Re: Bumgenius Inserts

Postby cumbrianlass » Fri Jul 30, 2010 11:09 am

How do you wash and dry them? Don't think I have ever seen this before :lookround: and guessing from lack of responses others haven't either.

My guesses would be too hot a wash (over 60) or tumble, or something you add to wash that has damaged them. But if it isn't any of these did you buy them all at the same time? Maybe you got a bad batch?

Tbh I would contact the seller with the photo's and ask them to get in touch with Baba Me (European distributor of BGs) for you. If they are not to helpful you could go direct to Baba Me, but am sure have seen some threads saying Baba Me refer people back to seller in first place.

Hope you get it sorted.

My avatar
girlinleeds
Cloth Nappy Guru
Cloth Nappy Guru

Postby girlinleeds » Fri Jul 30, 2010 11:27 am

we've been using bumgenius for over a year now and none of our inserts are like that, tbh i'm not sure what would cause them to do that or how to fix it, let us know how you wash/ dry and what soap powder you use and i'll have a think
xx

My avatar
Bluebell
Cloth Nappy Addict
Cloth Nappy Addict

Postby Bluebell » Fri Jul 30, 2010 3:03 pm

Where did you buy them from? I would maybe contact the shop for advice and maybe they can help, or even better, replace them! :wink:

My avatar
tiyuricc
Sucker for Cloth Nappies
Sucker for Cloth Nappies

Postby tiyuricc » Fri Jul 30, 2010 4:41 pm

I got some very well used ones from classifieds, and have used them well myself for the past 4 mnths, but nothing like that. My only guess would be washing temp too high, drying on radiators or something in wash such as vanish oxy action maybe.

My avatar
JenKyleKaitlinRoo
Cloth Nappy Fanatic
Cloth Nappy Fanatic

Postby JenKyleKaitlinRoo » Fri Jul 30, 2010 5:29 pm

Hmm the only thing I oculd think that would do that is heat. So a 90 wash or something. Ive tumbled mine on low and hot and they are still nice and flat.

Very odd!

My avatar
smilinglou
Cloth Nappy Addict
Cloth Nappy Addict

Postby smilinglou » Sat Jul 31, 2010 12:51 pm

That is the weirdest thing, could it be some strange mix of how your lo sits in them (the rolling at the ends) then something happening in the wash and then drying maybe on the radiator, have they been left wet in a strange position, maybe someone squashed them under something and they dried there? Is your washing machine ok, could it have damaged them, maybe caught the poppers somehow or they've got stuck in the flap bit at the door?
Did you wash them in the nappy, or have something else in the wash thats heavy or bulky..
I don't know but that's really strange

My avatar
Freddiesmama
Clothie
Clothie

Postby Freddiesmama » Sat Jul 31, 2010 3:15 pm

Hi,
I know it's really strange.
I wash them at 60 degrees and occasionally tumble dry on low but normally line dry them, use tiny amount of fairy non bio and nothing else.
I did buy them all at the same time though brand new from a company at the baby show at the end of 2008 but can't remember the name of them :( but did contact baba me but after asking for photos from me they have never got back to me again :( might try them again!
I have washed them again several times but each time they just get worse rather than better so don't think they have dried in a dodgy position or anything like that. I think they just happened gradually as I never noticed them come out of the wash like this at any one point or anything and they all wouldn't all have been washed at the exact same time neither so even if I did do something in the wash by accident once it wouldn't have affected so many of them.

I do wonder if perhaps they have dried in a strange position as it did happen around the time I had my new baby so wasn't always that on top of the washing/drying etc but I wouldn't have thought that would effect them forever :cry:

Really annoying, as I have just had to buy new inserts so I can keep using the nappies, but have to buy them gradually so only have 3,lol!

Anyway thanks for all your help and suggestions and ideas :)

My avatar
emmavmorgan
Sucker for Cloth Nappies
Sucker for Cloth Nappies

Postby emmavmorgan » Sat Jul 31, 2010 6:29 pm

I am wondering if the stitching around the outside has shrunk. As they are unusable I would try cutting the overlocking off and seeing if they would lie flat then. If you have access to a sewing machine you could stitch them back together. Sorry I have no other suggestions :hug:

Next

Return to Cloth Nappy Chat