hf1

Proper allergic reaction to a nappy?? :(

My avatar
charlibunny
Cloth Nappy Disciple
Cloth Nappy Disciple

Proper allergic reaction to a nappy?? :(

Postby charlibunny » Thu Jul 29, 2010 9:03 am

I bought 2 of the cheap chinese pockets off a lady on here. Soph wore each one once and was fine. I washed as normal with my other nappies.
When i put one on her again, within 20 minutes she started scratching like mad and moaning. Then i noticed blood where she was scratching. I took the nappy off and she was swollen wherever the nappy had touched her, im not talking a small rash im talking about a huge swelling in the shape of a nappy so angry it was bleeding.
I know with Soph's condition she can randomly react but this is just crazy. I now have 2 pretty minky nappies im too scared to use?
She was fine with all the other pockets/fitteds out this nappy load and the swelling subsided with a plain bamboo nappy within 30 mins.
Im not for a minute saying the lovely lady sold me anything bad, just wondering what the hell is the nappy made of?? :shock: :shock:

My avatar
tanya
Cloth Nappy Wise Woman
Cloth Nappy Wise Woman

Re: Proper allergic reaction to a nappy?? :(

Postby tanya » Thu Jul 29, 2010 9:10 am

Wow, sounds bad Charli. Poor little Sophie :(
:hug: :hug: :hug: for both of you

My avatar
charlibunny
Cloth Nappy Disciple
Cloth Nappy Disciple

Postby charlibunny » Thu Jul 29, 2010 9:12 am

tanya2007 wrote:Wow, sounds bad Charli. Poor little Sophie :(

She was fine after i took it off, if not a little scabby now. So odd!! You don't want 2 boyish BTP pockets do you?? :hohoho: :hohoho: :hohoho:

My avatar
tiyuricc
Sucker for Cloth Nappies
Sucker for Cloth Nappies

Postby tiyuricc » Thu Jul 29, 2010 9:47 am

Poor sophie.

It is possible i think - i get like that with wool items, the tiniest percentage of wool in the fabric and i can wear it first time but as soon as it's been in the wash I come out all itchy and swollen. Had this a lot of times before I learnt to check the label every time, even if it doesn't look like wool!

My avatar
jan3182001
Sucker for Cloth Nappies
Sucker for Cloth Nappies

Postby jan3182001 » Thu Jul 29, 2010 10:45 am

minky is polyester - as you no doubt know - but being a manmade fibre will not be as breathable/cool as natural fibres.
is shethe same with other minky nappies?

My avatar
emmalala
Cloth Nappy Wise Woman
Cloth Nappy Wise Woman

Postby emmalala » Thu Jul 29, 2010 10:55 am

poor soph :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug:

My avatar
Velvetsteph
Cloth Nappy Clanger
Cloth Nappy Clanger

Postby Velvetsteph » Thu Jul 29, 2010 11:34 am

Could it be they need a strip wash? scrub them with washing up liquid to make sure you get rid of any trace of anything on the inner, then rinse and wash as normal before trying again...

Could be there were traces of the old washing detergent, or creams etc left on the nappies...

I do know various people who've been completely unable to use fleece inner things so it could be similar I guess...

My avatar
tanya
Cloth Nappy Wise Woman
Cloth Nappy Wise Woman

Postby tanya » Thu Jul 29, 2010 12:14 pm

charlibunny wrote:
tanya2007 wrote:Wow, sounds bad Charli. Poor little Sophie :(

She was fine after i took it off, if not a little scabby now. So odd!! You don't want 2 boyish BTP pockets do you?? :hohoho: :hohoho: :hohoho:

Erm, not really :oops: BTP nappies look so bulky on him, even though he's a big boy.

Return to Cloth Nappy Chat