hf1

Nappy advisors

My avatar
0_Lisa_0
Cloth Nappy Wise Woman
Cloth Nappy Wise Woman

Nappy advisors

Postby 0_Lisa_0 » Fri Jul 30, 2010 11:19 am

Just wondering how you become one? AFAIK there are currently non in our area at all and the HV's down at the local CC have said if I want to give regular talks at the centre and some of the anti-natal classes they would be happy to try and accommodate me :wine: I think it's a really positive step for my area and so I want to do what I can but I don't really know what the next step is.
Presumably I will need some sort of demo kit but how do I get one and where from? (especially on a budget with OH being in hossy we're sort of low on cash)
Do I need to contact anyone and let them know I'm doing it?
Just anything you can give me that may be helpful info would really be appreciated.
Thanks

My avatar
ladybird
Cloth Nappy Aficionado
Cloth Nappy Aficionado

Re: Nappy advisors

Postby ladybird » Fri Jul 30, 2010 11:23 am

I used to work under the Lollipop umbrella (I say that as you don't actually work *for* them, but are self-employed). I weighed them up against a couple of other companies and they seemed the most professional and well organised at the time.

My avatar
JanX
Cloth Nappy Aficionado
Cloth Nappy Aficionado

Postby JanX » Fri Jul 30, 2010 3:15 pm

I was a Babykind agent for a few years and really enjoyed it, as far as I know they are still signing agents up (and you get a discount on nappies if you are buying them for a demo kit)

Have a look on the Babykind website there is info on there about it.

Jan x

My avatar
Caroline
Cloth Nappy Aficionado
Cloth Nappy Aficionado

Postby Caroline » Fri Jul 30, 2010 3:38 pm

I'm hoping to introduce so kind of advisor scheme in the near future but I'm been too busy to flesh out the details just yet. Do you have a local retailer you could contact to see if they would be interested in setting you up?

My avatar
nappynutter
Cloth Nappy Fanatic
Cloth Nappy Fanatic

Postby nappynutter » Fri Jul 30, 2010 4:15 pm

Were you thinking of a starting a nappy network or doing it as a job?

As a nappy network you can get funding for a nappy library, leaflets etc. and health professionals are more likely to let you give talks (there are strict rules about business advertising products within the NHS).

As a job, the easiest way is to become an agent for an existing company. You would need to get in touch with them and ask if they have room for an advisor in your area. You normally have to pay for your kit to get you started and you are self-employed, so are responsible for your own accounts, NI contributions and tax.

My avatar
0_Lisa_0
Cloth Nappy Wise Woman
Cloth Nappy Wise Woman

Postby 0_Lisa_0 » Fri Jul 30, 2010 5:49 pm

Well i don't want to do it as a job if that helps i just want to get the info out there. So what's the best option?

My avatar
nappynutter
Cloth Nappy Fanatic
Cloth Nappy Fanatic

Postby nappynutter » Fri Jul 30, 2010 6:03 pm

I would ask your local council/environment agency/community organisations for funding for a Nappy Library and leaflets so you can do demos for interested parents and groups. If you can find some other like minded parents, local businesses, organisations etc. you can set up a nappy network (a group of volunteers that promote cloth nappies in the community). For funding you will probably need to be constituted and have a bank account and a committee but this doesn't need to be complicated and can be as informal as you like.

(I've set up several nappy networks including a national umbrella organisation in Scotland as a volunteer.)

My avatar
0_Lisa_0
Cloth Nappy Wise Woman
Cloth Nappy Wise Woman

Postby 0_Lisa_0 » Fri Jul 30, 2010 7:40 pm

nappynutter wrote:I would ask your local council/environment agency/community organisations for funding for a Nappy Library and leaflets so you can do demos for interested parents and groups. If you can find some other like minded parents, local businesses, organisations etc. you can set up a nappy network (a group of volunteers that promote cloth nappies in the community). For funding you will probably need to be constituted and have a bank account and a committee but this doesn't need to be complicated and can be as informal as you like.

(I've set up several nappy networks including a national umbrella organisation in Scotland as a volunteer.)

Ok I'm going to be dumb :oops: but I have no idea what most of that means :oops: :oops: . When I spoke to my local council before they were completely unaware of anything to do with cloth :roll: :evil:
I don't understand what you mean about being constituted :oops: :oops: sorry. Could you PM me with some more details and explaining how to go about it all :oops:

My avatar
nappynutter
Cloth Nappy Fanatic
Cloth Nappy Fanatic

Postby nappynutter » Fri Jul 30, 2010 8:01 pm

It's really simple. Most organisations won't just hand out money to anyone. They usually want to give grants to a community group who have a committee (chair, treasurer, other members etc.), a constitution (a document which lists the aims and objectives of the group and the responsibilities of the committee) and a bank account. (You need the constitution to open the bank account). That way the group can report back to the organisation about how they spent the funding and what was achieved.

A constitution is easy (there are lots of templates online that you can use).

http://www.grantnet.com/HelpfulReports/ ... tution.pdf

Next

Return to Cloth Nappy Chat