hf1

It's not fair and it's not good!

My avatar
ktinkley
Cloth Nappy Addict
Cloth Nappy Addict

It's not fair and it's not good!

Postby ktinkley » Sun Aug 08, 2010 9:00 pm

We've been in Cornwall for the last 2 weeks in a caravan - checked the site had a washing machine, packed all the terries and woollies, only to get there and find that it had an automatic powder and softener dispenser which couldn't be turned off.

After spending 2 days of the first 4 in a small port about 20min away just to use the launderette (- DD decided that this was the week to start going through loads of nappies so we were having to wash every 2 days instead of every 3 as planned :roll: ) we decided we would get some disposables to try to eek out the nappies for at least a day longer.

We have steered clear of all disposables since last summer when we had massive rash problems - even to the point of not going to visit my parents at Easter because they wouldn't let me use real nappies and I didn't want to risk another 10 week rash trauma.

So we start to use them , making sure we slather her in lanolin as that seems to work best for us as a barrier and moisturiser - not only no rashes, but after 2 days, the skin on her legs and bottom is clearer than it's been for ages. :shock:

Ok - I'm pleased that her skin is clear - but people keep congratulating me on not 'having' to use cloth anymore :x

I don't want to use disposables - I never wanted to use disposables - they smell rank - I don't find the washing a problem, I like my nappies and wool - I'm gutted that we are now going to have to switch to sposies as we really can't justify keeping her in cloth when obviously the combo that works best for her is sposies and lanolin.

It's just not fair - and no-one understands :cry:

and none of her lovely wool fits any more - even the shorties that I finished on holiday and haven't even been lanolised are going to have to go :cry:

I am going to hang onto my terries and couple of pairs on longies though - just incase things change again :giggle:

My avatar
emmalala
Cloth Nappy Wise Woman
Cloth Nappy Wise Woman

Re: It's not fair and it's not good!

Postby emmalala » Mon Aug 09, 2010 7:57 am

:hug: :hug: :hug: :hug: maybe you can go back to cloth after a little break? I've had to use sposies a few timesbut I have the opposite problem, he gets a rash with sposies :roll:

My avatar
laceybat
Cloth Nappy Wise Woman
Cloth Nappy Wise Woman

Postby laceybat » Mon Aug 09, 2010 7:59 am

:hug: :hug: :hug: :hug:

My avatar
ebonina
Cloth Nappy Addict
Cloth Nappy Addict

Postby ebonina » Mon Aug 09, 2010 8:26 am

Why does this mean that you can't use cloth? Disposables may do damage that isn't as obvious. R gets sore bits round her legs quite a lot which I know would clear up just by using sposies at night. I'd rather she had the rash tbh.
Last edited by ebonina on Mon Jul 25, 2011 9:21 am, edited 1 time in total.

My avatar
jasmine b
Cloth Nappy Nutter
Cloth Nappy Nutter

Postby jasmine b » Mon Aug 09, 2010 8:36 am

We used a sposie last night as fin had a terrible chemical burn looking thing on his right leg which is the side he sleeps on and his nappies were eye watering and stunk of ammonia which i think may have caused the rash and it has cleared ovenight nearly so oh is now jumping on the sposie bandwagon saying we should use them at nights only for a bit but we will still use cloth during the day :)

My avatar
ktinkley
Cloth Nappy Addict
Cloth Nappy Addict

Postby ktinkley » Mon Aug 09, 2010 8:23 pm

We've tried every type of nappy combo going - she used to get rashes from sposies, when we used them on a holiday before.

The problem with her rashes is that they develop fairly quickly into burn type things and break the skin, so we have to be on top of them all the time. I can't risk them taking hold as they take ages to get rid of.

I don't mind using sposies if that's the best thing for her - it's just the way everyone assumes I must be relieved :roll: I really resent the assumption that I'll be relieved of the excuse not to use cloth any more :x

I might try cloth again later - but tbh I'm hoping she'll pt around xmas or early next year, so hopefully it will be irrelevant :wink:

My avatar
Little Pants
Cloth Nappy Nutter
Cloth Nappy Nutter

Postby Little Pants » Thu Aug 12, 2010 7:40 am

Maybe her skin is nice because you've been using lanolin with the sposies, and maybe you don't use it all the time with the washables. Try using it with the washables, and see if you get the same effect! It might be nothing to do with the sposies at all. ;)

My avatar
ktinkley
Cloth Nappy Addict
Cloth Nappy Addict

Postby ktinkley » Thu Aug 12, 2010 10:52 am

We use lanolin every change with the real nappies too - last time we used sposies we were using other prescribed creams which we later found were causing issues of their own.

Honestly - I've jumped through hoops to nappy this child! I doubt there's many combos I havent' tried :hohoho: Ds was in prefolds and we never had any problems at all :giggle:

Kate

Return to Cloth Nappy Chat