HELP! Newbie questions...

My avatar
HelenaM
Clothie
Clothie

HELP! Newbie questions...

Postby HelenaM » Mon Aug 09, 2010 1:26 pm

Hi,

I'm thinking about starting using cloth nappies and have been researching on the internet but am finding it all quite confusing. What would you recommend for a little boy (14months) or what would you definitely avoid? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

My avatar
megansmummy
Cloth Nappy Goddess
Cloth Nappy Goddess

Re: HELP! Newbie questions...

Postby megansmummy » Mon Aug 09, 2010 1:30 pm

It really is trial and error im afraid...what works for one might not work for another :-?

The best thing to do would be to trial a few different nappies and different types (fitteds, pockets, AIO's etc) to see what works for you :) the classifieds are a great place if your starting out becuase you can pick up pre-loved nappies cheaply to see what works :)

Good luck!

ETA for a starting point we used pocket nappies on my DD but by 18 months she had outgrown the bumgenuis pockets so i dont think they are a good option but others find their 2 years olds etc still fit in them fine, we prefered happy heniy one size pockets...with my son we only use fitted nappies, i like tots bots stretchies/Dunk n fluffs/goodmamas/bamboo little lambs etc and we use wool. I like to use a prefold too and i tri fold them into a thirsties duo wrap...thats a great combination :)

My avatar
Caroline
Cloth Nappy Aficionado
Cloth Nappy Aficionado

Postby Caroline » Mon Aug 09, 2010 1:33 pm

^WSS Pick up some second hand ones to try or contact a local nappy agent to see if they do hire kits with lots of types/brands in.

My avatar
Rebekahs_mum
Cloth Nappy Fanatic
Cloth Nappy Fanatic

Postby Rebekahs_mum » Mon Aug 09, 2010 4:08 pm

Tory's right that every baby's different. I can still squeeze Rebekah into our bg's (bumgenius) so they lasted til potty training with us. Grace is bigger so I'll have to see how long they last for her. I completely forgot about Happy Heineys. I tried them with Rebekah & liked them but I found when she went through her heavy wetting phase last summer they weren't as reliable as the BG's. But they are bigger & you could boost them if Ben got like that. I sold mine but only so I could buy pretty ones :wink: :giggle: Itti Bitti's are another reliable nappy. I really like them. They're very trim & they've got soft outers (like what Grace was wearing today but without embroidery). I should have lent you one of them too but I wasn't thinking (although you can borrow one next time then it's not too ovewhelming with all the different types). If I'd been more organised I would have brought all of mine downstairs before Rebekah had her nap then you could have seen all the different ones I have. Although then you would have seen the shocking level of my 'addiction' :hohoho: :hohoho: :hohoho:

Hope you get lots more helpful advice. The ladies on her know A LOT!! :D

Return to Cloth Nappy Chat