Stain removal help

My avatar
stormy_weather
Clothie
Clothie

Stain removal help

Postby stormy_weather » Mon Aug 09, 2010 8:58 pm

Hello,

I'm pretty new to cloth nappies and I have a question. This may be impossible to do, but if anyone has a tip on how to remove stains that would be great.

I'm using motherease Sandys (some bamboo and some cotton) with my 9 week old son. I also have a tots bots bamboo stretchy. All are working well, but I get orangey stains on the nappies despite washing at 60 degrees, even if washed immediately after use.

Are these stains just something you have to live with, or is there a way to get the stains out? I don't want to use biological powder or anything that would be harsh on my son's skin. I'm already using liners but it's going through the liners. He's breast fed too, if that makes a difference.

Thanks for any advice!

XXX

My avatar
autumnalgirl
Sucker for Cloth Nappies
Sucker for Cloth Nappies

Re: Stain removal help

Postby autumnalgirl » Mon Aug 09, 2010 9:00 pm

Breast fed poo stains generally sun out :D ! So if you have a washing line they should come outside, otherwise if you put them on the windowsill, near a window that should help, but might take a bit longer!
Congratulations on your new son!
Christi

My avatar
caz88
Cloth Nappy Follower
Cloth Nappy Follower

Postby caz88 » Mon Aug 09, 2010 9:01 pm

I am assuming they are poo stains? Could you try rinsing before the wash to wash away the worst of it, then washing at 40 is fine (read somewhere 60 sets the stain in...not sure if this is the case) then hang outside in the sun to get rid of stains...HTHs

My avatar
stormy_weather
Clothie
Clothie

Postby stormy_weather » Mon Aug 09, 2010 9:15 pm

ooh, will give both of these a try. I would like to wash at 40 and save some pennies too. I turned it up to 60 because of these stains but that still didn't work so maybe sun or a pre-rinse is the answer.

Now if only we got more year-round sunshine where I live!

Thank you!!!

My avatar
zoeyboo
Cloth Nappy Aficionado
Cloth Nappy Aficionado

Postby zoeyboo » Mon Aug 09, 2010 9:24 pm

I don't wash higher than 40 and seldom get stains, but whenever there is a pooey nappy I rinse it before putting it in the bucket, then when they go into the machine I cool rinse, then 40 wash & then 2nd cool rinse.

When I do get a stain the sun gets it out everytime, doesn't have to be 'sun' exactly, but any bright natural light will do, so even when it's cloudy it often works, I've even just left one on an upstairs windowsill & that's helped!

The trick is to make sure the nappy is wet when you put it in the sun, if it's a bad stain, keep the nappy wet, so spray it or take it in & rinse under the tap & put back out. All should disappear soon enough!

My avatar
Velvetsteph
Cloth Nappy Clanger
Cloth Nappy Clanger

Postby Velvetsteph » Mon Aug 09, 2010 10:01 pm

Actually washing in biological is likely to be better for his skin as it will was the nappies better for starters ;)
Have a read here: viewtopic.php?f=19&t=25118
There's plenty of tips on washing here: viewforum.php?f=19

Sunlight usually does the trick though...

My avatar
rhead
Cloth Nappy Passionata
Cloth Nappy Passionata

Postby rhead » Tue Aug 10, 2010 6:31 pm

Sunlight is magic - if the stains are really bad it may take a couple of days to completely get rid of them, but just keep them damp and keep them out there! I've also heard that hot water sets the stains, so I always rinse dirty nappies thoroughly in cold water (having scraped off the worst of the poo - ew, but I hate stains!) and usually wash at 40C.

My avatar
tiyuricc
Sucker for Cloth Nappies
Sucker for Cloth Nappies

Postby tiyuricc » Tue Aug 10, 2010 6:35 pm

My dd is still solely breastfed, and i only ever wash at 40 with non-bio. I never pre-rinse. The yellowy stains always come out in the sun, doesn't take long at all. As someone else said, try a sunny windowsill if you can't hang them out. Keep in mind though that the stains come out better when the item is damp, so if they dry out, try wetting them a little again with a spray bottle or if they're going back outside, then you can just run them under a tap.

My avatar
stormy_weather
Clothie
Clothie

Postby stormy_weather » Tue Aug 10, 2010 9:27 pm

It worked! 90 minutes on the line today while still a bit damp and all traces of the stains are gone. I was amazed by this!

Thanks for the advice, and Steph, thanks for the link to that thread - v interesting reading.

Next

Return to Cloth Nappy Chat