what are longies, shorties and soakers?

My avatar
stormy_weather
Clothie
Clothie

what are longies, shorties and soakers?

Postby stormy_weather » Tue Aug 10, 2010 9:30 pm

Hello, I'm a newbie....

I see lots of posts about longies, shorties and woolies. They look lovely but what are they? Are they used instead of a waterproof wrap? Are soakers meant to get soaked?

Might like to try these for winter if I know what they are by then. :wink:

My avatar
becky1978
Cloth Nappy Fanatic
Cloth Nappy Fanatic

Re: what are longies, shorties and soakers?

Postby becky1978 » Tue Aug 10, 2010 9:34 pm

Longies - long wooly trousers
Shorties - wooly shorts
Soakers - little wooly pants that go over fitteds.

All of these are used in lieu of wraps over fitteds. The longies and shorties are therefore clothing and nappy cover in one and soakers are generally used under things or for bedtime use.

100% wool is breathable and naturally water repellent once lanolised (soaked in lanolin melted in hot water) and lots of people prefer to use wool instead of wraps that contain PUL as it keeps their LO's skin cooler and less damp.

PLUS, wool is mega cute and comes in every colour combination under the rainbow to suit!

We use wool all year round as it keeps LO cool in summer as well as warm in winter, Archie is wearing shorties every day at the moment.

Hope that helps!
Last edited by becky1978 on Tue Aug 10, 2010 9:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

My avatar
Amanda
Cloth Nappy Worshipper
Cloth Nappy Worshipper

Postby Amanda » Tue Aug 10, 2010 9:39 pm

Hi

They are all made from wool and used in place of a wrap. A soaker is basically like a knitted pair of pants, whereas shorties are, well, shorts, and longies are knitted trousers. No need to wait til winter if you like the look of them, wool is breathable and actually keeps baby's bottom and bits cooler than if they were in a PUL wrap. You need to lanolise woolies to make them water-resistant, but they don't need washed after every wear, and only need to be lanolised every few weeks. Lots of info on wool care here viewtopic.php?f=63&t=7281 x

My avatar
Velvetsteph
Cloth Nappy Clanger
Cloth Nappy Clanger

Postby Velvetsteph » Tue Aug 10, 2010 9:42 pm

stormy_weather wrote:Hello, I'm a newbie....

I see lots of posts about longies, shorties and woolies. They look lovely but what are they? Are they used instead of a waterproof wrap? Are soakers meant to get soaked?

Might like to try these for winter if I know what they are by then. :wink:

They are indeed nappy covers used instead of a waterproof wrap...

Longies are full length trousers made from either wool or fleece. Wool ones can be knitted or can be wool interlock fabric.
Shorties - long shorts same as above
Soakers - a snug fitting pullup wrap same as the above

The wool is treated with lanolin from time to time to help maintain it's natural water-resistant qualities and natural antibacterial nature. You can use scented lanolins to make them smell nice too :)

Comes in all sorts of styles and colours and can be very addictive ;)

Some people use longies once their LO is potty trained as trousers as they are so comfortable, and some love the style so use them over pocket nappies (which don't need a wrap)

It's cool in summer and warm in winter

They are not water PROOF but they work! It's magic ;)

They work very well at nights too as they are more breathable than a PUL wrap so allow some of the moisure to evapourate meaning your usual sopping wet morning nappy isn't quite so sodden...

My avatar
stormy_weather
Clothie
Clothie

Postby stormy_weather » Tue Aug 10, 2010 10:27 pm

Thanks!
Now I have another question about this:

I'd be quite keen to try woolies as the PUL wraps do seem a bit sweaty next to my son's skin. When you say they work over fitteds, do you think they'd work over a Sandys nappy? That's what he has and I wouldn't change them as it's all that will work for him. We had real leak issues before.

My avatar
Soupdragon
Cloth Nappy Worshipper
Cloth Nappy Worshipper
Site Supporter

Postby Soupdragon » Tue Aug 10, 2010 10:33 pm

Wool works over any fitted nappy. :) You do need to make sure that the nappy is absorbent enough, otherwise you can end up with compression wicking (just like you would with a PUL wrap). You can always boost a nappy, if needed.

Lots of people with heavy wetters only use fitteds and wool, as they find it the most reliable combination.

My avatar
ems
Cloth Nappy Passionata
Cloth Nappy Passionata

Postby ems » Tue Aug 10, 2010 10:53 pm

what are longies, shorties and soakers? They are an Addiction, beware of all things woolly!!! :giggle:

My avatar
happytails
Cloth Nappy Worshipper
Cloth Nappy Worshipper

Postby happytails » Wed Aug 11, 2010 8:52 am

stormy_weather wrote:Thanks!
Now I have another question about this:

I'd be quite keen to try woolies as the PUL wraps do seem a bit sweaty next to my son's skin. When you say they work over fitteds, do you think they'd work over a Sandys nappy? That's what he has and I wouldn't change them as it's all that will work for him. We had real leak issues before.

They work over any fitted nappy (that would usually require a wrap) :wink:

Wool is magic and VERY addictive! i will say no more.....

My avatar
rachymoo
Cloth Nappy Addict
Cloth Nappy Addict

Postby rachymoo » Thu Aug 12, 2010 11:01 am

A lot of people also use fleece instead or (or as well as!) wool. It works in pretty much the same way but is just a bit cheaper! And doesn’t need to be lanolinised. I love Pumpkin Pants soakers in particular. You can also get fleece shorties and fleece longies (also known as flongies, lol), you can get some very cute prints! :D

Rach xx

Next

Return to Cloth Nappy Chat