hf1

Help, smelly nappies!

My avatar
rachymoo
Cloth Nappy Addict
Cloth Nappy Addict

Help, smelly nappies!

Postby rachymoo » Thu Aug 12, 2010 11:11 am

Helllp! Lilly’s nappies are starting to smell – it’s weird I can’t explain the smell but it’s just not nice – they used to come out of the wash smelling lovely and they don’t any more! Do you think they need stripping? I’m guessing this is what it’ll be but thought I’d see if anyone else has had this problem.

I know there’s a few ways of doing it, anyone got an opinion on what’s the best way? (Preferably the easiest :giggle: )

Argh not looking forward to having to do it though – I only have a big enough stash to wash every 2 days (sometimes 3, at a push) and I know stripping can take a while can’t it, so I think I’ll have to put her in sposies for a couple of days – argh I don’t like them! And I really begrudge having to buy any, lol.

Rach xx

My avatar
Caroline
Cloth Nappy Aficionado
Cloth Nappy Aficionado

Re: Help, smelly nappies!

Postby Caroline » Thu Aug 12, 2010 11:47 am

I would say strip them. I put the nappies in with soda crystals and then a couple of extra rinses until there are no more bubbles coming out. What sort of water do you have? If you are in a hard water area, not using enough powder can make them smelly. I know that its a problem for me and megansmummy mentioned the same thing recently.

My avatar
megansmummy
Cloth Nappy Goddess
Cloth Nappy Goddess

Postby megansmummy » Thu Aug 12, 2010 12:14 pm

whats your wash routine?

My avatar
emmalala
Cloth Nappy Wise Woman
Cloth Nappy Wise Woman

Postby emmalala » Thu Aug 12, 2010 12:32 pm

strip wash them :whip: :giggle: I just put them in with soda crystals too and just rinse the heck out of them till theres no more bubbles in the machine

My avatar
wytch
Cloth Nappy Addict
Cloth Nappy Addict

Postby wytch » Thu Aug 12, 2010 12:39 pm

dont forget to do a maintenace wash on your machine first incase its left overs/ smells in the machine pipes etc.

My avatar
monsterm
Cloth Nappy Worshipper
Cloth Nappy Worshipper

Postby monsterm » Thu Aug 12, 2010 3:13 pm

wytch wrote:dont forget to do a maintenace wash on your machine first incase its left overs/ smells in the machine pipes etc.

I had the same problem. I've stripped my nappies 5 times in the last 4 wks & I realised this morning that our clothes don't smell great either. It's not that they smell dirty or poopy, they just don't smell nice. I put the washing machine on at 95 with an empty drum & a full load of bio. The machine smells nice now anyway, just waiting for the load of clothes to finish & see if it has made a difference.

My avatar
dippydee
Cloth Nappy Follower
Cloth Nappy Follower

Postby dippydee » Fri Aug 13, 2010 12:12 pm

may i ask how much soda crystals you put with them please? I have been doing 1 full wash powder and then 6-7 without washes and it takes forever.

My avatar
rachymoo
Cloth Nappy Addict
Cloth Nappy Addict

Postby rachymoo » Fri Aug 13, 2010 6:28 pm

megansmummy wrote:whats your wash routine?

I have been just washing them with half the normal amount of washing liquid. Although I have since read that apparently the liquid isn't much good for washing nappies and that powder is better? So when I went shopping today I bought some powder to try instead, I normally always buy the liquid!

Anyway - I just put a load of nappies in, I put them through a couple of rinse cycles first and then I wash them - usually at 40, but every couple of washes I do them on a 60. Does this sound OK or am I doing something wrong? Not sure if I am missing something really obvious lol. Think I'm going to have to strip them, I think it's going to mean having to buy some sposies and use them for a day or two though :(

Rach xx

My avatar
megansmummy
Cloth Nappy Goddess
Cloth Nappy Goddess

Postby megansmummy » Fri Aug 13, 2010 6:32 pm

Yep powder is deffinatly better than liquid and i also always wash at 60c or else we get stinkies...i do a cold rinse, then a 60c wash with an extra rinse. I also use a whole dose of powder since we have hard water here :wink:

Hope the powder solves your issues!! :hug:

Next

Return to Cloth Nappy Chat