hf1

Help, smelly nappies!

My avatar
rachymoo
Cloth Nappy Addict
Cloth Nappy Addict

Re: Help, smelly nappies!

Postby rachymoo » Fri Aug 13, 2010 6:48 pm

Ooh, we have hard water - does that mean I should be using a whole dose of powder then? I didn't realise, I thought you should just always use half?

Rach xx

My avatar
chocmuffin
Sucker for Cloth Nappies
Sucker for Cloth Nappies

Postby chocmuffin » Fri Aug 13, 2010 7:40 pm

I've got hard water here to & I'm having the same prob, so maybe thats my answer. I've never had a prob or needed to strip wash in 18 mths but now I'm putting more nappies in the wash with George on the scene :lol:

My avatar
JenKyleKaitlinRoo
Cloth Nappy Fanatic
Cloth Nappy Fanatic

Postby JenKyleKaitlinRoo » Fri Aug 13, 2010 8:01 pm

you could try if you have hard water 2 spoonfuls of soda crystals and a half dose of powder as the soda will soften the water.

Or maybe even calgon? Not sure if this is ok on nappies though.....

My avatar
megansmummy
Cloth Nappy Goddess
Cloth Nappy Goddess

Postby megansmummy » Fri Aug 13, 2010 8:09 pm

Its worth a try (using a whole dose of powder) I add the extra rinse just to make sure there is nothing less afterwards... If i use any less then i get stinky nappies, its like it doesnt wash them properly...

I thought about using calgon to soften the water and im pretty sure thats fine with the nappies but eeek those things are expensive! :shock:

My avatar
JenKyleKaitlinRoo
Cloth Nappy Fanatic
Cloth Nappy Fanatic

Postby JenKyleKaitlinRoo » Fri Aug 13, 2010 8:11 pm

soda crystals do the same job afaik so hopefully you could get away with less powder too and they are waaay cheaper.

My avatar
megansmummy
Cloth Nappy Goddess
Cloth Nappy Goddess

Postby megansmummy » Fri Aug 13, 2010 8:12 pm

JenKyleandKaitlin wrote:soda crystals do the same job afaik so hopefully you could get away with less powder too and they are waaay cheaper.

Ohh thats very interesting! when you say 2 spoonfuls do you mean tea spoons or table spoons??

My avatar
greengoddess
Clothie
Clothie

Postby greengoddess » Sat Aug 14, 2010 5:37 pm

You should look into Rockin Green detergent: www.rockingreensoap.com

Not sure if it's available in the UK - I order it directly from the US and the shipping price isn't too bad (about $US12). This is absolutely the rage in the cloth nappy world in Australia and strips smells out of nappies quick smart. There are different versions for hard water areas and the scents are terrific (though they don't really leave the nappies scented as such). My order was delivered in less than a week.

My avatar
Fayesmum
Cloth Nappy Passionata
Cloth Nappy Passionata

Postby Fayesmum » Sun Aug 15, 2010 12:48 pm

This sounds a bit daft... but when stripping with soda crystals do they go in the drawer or the drum with the nappies? I've been using the dishwasher tablet method but not sure if I need something more hardcore cause were still having rash issues :(

My avatar
Orchid
Cloth Nappy Follower
Cloth Nappy Follower

Postby Orchid » Sun Aug 15, 2010 3:09 pm

Yep, we have hard water here too and I have to put a good amount of powder in. I always wash at 60 degrees too or they smell. Have you emptied the filter lately, that could make a difference too. I didn't know how to do this until recently and it was disgoooosting what came out of there! The machine had got to the point it wasn't spinning properly and this made a world of difference. I know its not really eco friendly but I quite often instead of a rinse put them through a second wash with no powder. I only wash twice a week and I haven't needed to strip yet which would be quite resource intensive anyway. I would much rather have nice smelling nappies.

I did try using soda crystals here too but we don't have a drier and I found they came out a little hard. My absolute favourite washing powder is simply sensitive. I gets all poo stains compared to everything else Ive tried.

Previous

Return to Cloth Nappy Chat