hf1

What is your ultimate nappy?

My avatar
fivefourfour
Cloth Nappy Fanatic
Cloth Nappy Fanatic

What is your ultimate nappy?

Postby fivefourfour » Sun Aug 15, 2010 10:37 am

If you were designing a nappy, what style would you use, and what fabrics would you use?

I'm going to try making a nappy and I have a pregnant friend who I'm going to gift it to. I have bought some OBV and some minkee, and I have some old cotton jersey t-shirts that I can dye. I'm thinking obv inner with minkee topping on the booster, and co-ordinated LWI dyed cotton jersey outer, and then matching minkee wrap.

What would you go for?

My avatar
chocmuffin
Sucker for Cloth Nappies
Sucker for Cloth Nappies

Re: What is your ultimate nappy?

Postby chocmuffin » Sun Aug 15, 2010 11:04 am

:idea: I'd go for a dyed BV outer with either a cuddlesoft inner & topped booster (I find if you use liners with minky they bunch up :roll: ) or an undyed BV inner & matching dyed BV topped booster.
All the nappies I have made have been front snapping onesize because I think I'd be way to gutted if my LO's were to grow out of them after I'd spent my loving time making them just the way I like them :lol:

My avatar
zoeyboo
Cloth Nappy Aficionado
Cloth Nappy Aficionado

Postby zoeyboo » Sun Aug 15, 2010 11:19 am

I think I'd avoid an OBV inner, just in case LO is sensitive to wetness ... something like minkee is staydry and also more resistant to stains, which is important with newborn poop!

My avatar
fivefourfour
Cloth Nappy Fanatic
Cloth Nappy Fanatic

Postby fivefourfour » Sun Aug 15, 2010 11:22 am

Thanks! I hadn't thought of dying the OBV - that's a good idea.

My avatar
rhead
Cloth Nappy Passionata
Cloth Nappy Passionata

Postby rhead » Sun Aug 15, 2010 11:26 am

Dyed OBV outer and minkee inner sounds nice - pretty much all of our fitteds are OBV now, but I do like a coloured inner as it's less likely to stain (or show them if it does). I'm sure you can find tips on LWI dyeing in the DIY section of the board :wink:

My avatar
fivefourfour
Cloth Nappy Fanatic
Cloth Nappy Fanatic

Postby fivefourfour » Sun Aug 15, 2010 12:43 pm

Have looked up a couple of different dye techniques, but I was going to go for dyed cotton jersey as the outer.

Think I will try dying the cj first, and then move onto OBV once I have found my groove!

My avatar
choccylisa
Cloth Nappy Aficionado
Cloth Nappy Aficionado

Postby choccylisa » Sun Aug 15, 2010 12:46 pm

Hmmm.... tough one! Love my obv outers and inners, although I also love minky outers and inners, so either/both is good! I've got a gorgeous black and turquoise dyed obv one, it's so nice :D

My avatar
Pinchette
Cloth Nappy Fanatic
Cloth Nappy Fanatic

Postby Pinchette » Sun Aug 15, 2010 1:02 pm

It would be a fitted. The outer fabric would be my fav printed jersey. Then the inner core would be made of bamboo on top of hemp. It would have a pocket to boost if and when necessay or a lay-in insert and booster. The stay-dry layer would be fleece or cuddlesoft or minki. Side-snaping or front velcro fastening and preferebly turned and top-stitched.

mmmmh, I think I've just described a wn and and a jr. :giggle:

My avatar
fivefourfour
Cloth Nappy Fanatic
Cloth Nappy Fanatic

Postby fivefourfour » Sun Aug 15, 2010 1:26 pm

Why turned and topstiched?

Next

Return to Cloth Nappy Chat