South African cloth nappies

My avatar
clothmama
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Site Admin

Re: South African cloth nappies

Postby clothmama » Sun Apr 06, 2008 7:19 am

joodel wrote:Would love to do something more active to advocate cloth nappies here than just showing off my dd's cute cloth bum
Any suggestions??

It depends if you jsut wanted to promote them or be in a position to sell them to people interested. A lot of the girls here seem to start talking to health visitors, baby clinics etc, I think it was Annette that recently gave a talk to a prenatal group. Do you have baby cafes or anything like that? If you did want to be able to sell them to you could find out if any of the SA nappy retailers have an agent system in place like Babykind etc do in the UK. I'm not sure what else to suggest as I'm not there yet (although running a cloth forum is pretty good advocacy I supose :lol: :wink: ). Maybe post a seperate post so the girls who do things see it!

My avatar
Elaine
Cloth Nappy Follower
Cloth Nappy Follower

Postby Elaine » Thu May 29, 2008 11:40 am

Very interesting topic. I can add to this to say, the people here is very lazy. As soon as I mention anything about cloth nappies, they say it is too much work, even if it is the shaped ones. They see the washing as too much work.
Most of the ladies are working and not SAHM, they say they dont have time for it and the daymothers here, dont want to use it, too much work for them also. So in short, South Africans are too lazy.
The Afrikaans speaking people are worst than the English people and I am Afrikaans, but I feel otherwise about the whole thing. I wish that I could become a WAHM with my nappies, but I dont know if there will be any interest.

My avatar
trogette
Cloth Nappy Nutter
Cloth Nappy Nutter

Postby trogette » Fri May 30, 2008 11:34 pm

What about the government? A lot of local councils here have incentive schemes because it reduces waste, is there any mileage in lobbying locally and centrally there? And as much as I don't want to pigeonhole people, lol, you might find relatively likeminded people within LLL? http://www.llli.org/SouthAfrica.html would be a starting point... are there any eco-friendly parenting magazines like we have here?

My avatar
joodel
Cloth Nappy Groupie
Cloth Nappy Groupie

Postby joodel » Sat May 31, 2008 2:54 pm

I did actually email the contact person on the Institute of Waste Management SOuth AFrica's website about it and got quite a wishy washy reply. Must follow it up, though...thanks for the reminder.

Good idea to contact the LLL, though, thanks!

We don't have eco-friendly parenting magazines per se (not that I'm aware of), but there is a general move towards "green" and certanily more awareness and literature out there about carbon footprints and eco-friendly stuff in general so perhaps people are becoming more open to the idea of recycling and may then be more open to considering reusable nappies?!

My avatar
jules070603
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Site Supporter

Postby jules070603 » Sun Jun 01, 2008 7:51 pm

Really interesting reading this thread. I think we are quite lucky here that there is a l0t 0f inf0rmati0n and ch0ice available. I h0pe y0u manage t0 get s0mewhere with y0ur adv0cacy and nappies (they are great BTW!!). G00d luck.

My avatar
littlekiwibaby
Cloth Nappy Groupie
Cloth Nappy Groupie

Postby littlekiwibaby » Sun Jun 15, 2008 12:07 pm

what about the snappi nappies though? They're made in SA aren't they by the same people who make the nappi nippas? We had one sent as a sample and it's quite a cute nappy IMO.
Cat.xx

My avatar
joodel
Cloth Nappy Groupie
Cloth Nappy Groupie

Postby joodel » Sun Jun 15, 2008 5:13 pm

littlekiwibaby wrote:what about the snappi nappies though? They're made in SA aren't they by the same people who make the nappi nippas? We had one sent as a sample and it's quite a cute nappy IMO.
Cat.xx

Well, you learn something new everyday!

Never heard of snappi nappies!

Just googled them and eventually found their website, and they don't seem to do nappies anymore. Will try and ring them on Tues (tomorrow is a public hol here) to see what the story is. I actually didn't know that nappy nippas were made here either :oops: :oops: !

Previous

Return to Cloth Nappy Chat