hf1

What is a heavy wetter and what makes a heavy wetter?

My avatar
tanya
Cloth Nappy Wise Woman
Cloth Nappy Wise Woman

What is a heavy wetter and what makes a heavy wetter?

Postby tanya » Fri Aug 20, 2010 2:20 pm

Okay, this post is NOT designed to be a competition to see who's child is the heaviest wetter. That's not a competition I would care to be involved in as I would much prefer to have a very light wetter - so much easier (and cheaper :wink:) to find nappies for them.

But I thought it would be interesting to see what everyone classes as a heavy wetter as there seems to be a lot of LOs who are classed as heavy wetters, but it is very subjective.

Another reason for doing this is to give those of you struggling with heavy wetters (particularly at night) an idea of what we use so maybe you can try them.

So, why do I class Bella as a very heavy wetter - or ridiculous to the point of being a freak of nature? :giggle:

Hmm, well she could outpee a boosted BumGenius nappy overnight by 8 weeks old, so we had to go on to proper night nappies at that point.

Since then, she's been able to out-pee virtually every nappy we have come across.

The last ones she was going through were the Fluff and Stuff day-to-nights (basically a heavy wetter F&S core with an old style WNNN trifold and booster inside :shock: ) boosted with 2 LL night boosters and some kind of hemp inserts. And this would last less than 3 hours.

At night, there is no way she can use a Bedbug - even the one we got from the co-op, with a completely bamboo core has to be super boosted (2 x Zorboosts + and EP hemp). Her Hollow Oak night nappy is boosted by 2 x LL and 1 EP hemp. Her Puddlekins night nappies are unboosted at the moment, but Ems did make them specifically for her with more than the usual absorbancy (I think hers have about 600-700ml absorbancy rating). And now I have a Puddlekins Wool night nappy and an LLS Super Wetter to try.

What makes her a heavy wetter? She drinks soooo much. Mainly water these days, but it makes little difference if it's water or very dilute juice, she still necks it and asks for more. And she even drinks a lot overnight.

My avatar
sjm
Cloth Nappy Nutter
Cloth Nappy Nutter

Re: What is a heavy wetter and what makes a heavy wetter?

Postby sjm » Fri Aug 20, 2010 2:30 pm

We are struggling with this.
Lucas drinks a lot
can outpee any pocket boosted with a bamboo and hemp booster within 1-2 hours easily
Lots of wet clothes

My avatar
vampiredreams
Cloth Nappy Fanatic
Cloth Nappy Fanatic

Postby vampiredreams » Fri Aug 20, 2010 2:32 pm

Aoife drinks 5 x 7oz bottles of milk in 24hrs as well as a good 18ozs of water :shock:

Everything has to be uber boosted to the point the fitting then is all wrong....we change every 2hrs during the day and at least twice overnight :shock:

And she too has been like this since approx 12weeks...

My avatar
ems
Cloth Nappy Passionata
Cloth Nappy Passionata

Postby ems » Fri Aug 20, 2010 2:34 pm

Do you want the scientific answer or the forum answer ;) :giggle:

My avatar
tanya
Cloth Nappy Wise Woman
Cloth Nappy Wise Woman

Postby tanya » Fri Aug 20, 2010 2:37 pm

vampiredreams wrote:Aoife drinks 5 x 7oz bottles of milk in 24hrs as well as a good 18ozs of water :shock:

Everything has to be uber boosted to the point the fitting then is all wrong....

Aoife certainly drinks a lot - very much like Bella. And I think you have a very good point there. I find the major issue with having such a heavy wetter is the fit of nappies. They always gape at the legs no matter what due to all the boosting.

Bella hasn't been able to wear pockets since 15-18 months old. We couldn't physically get enough stuffing in the pocket to last more than 2 hours and DH couldn't be bothered to change her regularly enough (he was a SAHD) and so we got wet patches everywhere. Drove me nuts!!

My avatar
tanya
Cloth Nappy Wise Woman
Cloth Nappy Wise Woman

Postby tanya » Fri Aug 20, 2010 2:38 pm

ems wrote:Do you want the scientific answer or the forum answer ;) :giggle:

Go on then Ems :) I'm particularly interested in what other people class as a heavy wetter, so I can work out if Bella is freakish or not :giggle: But I'd be interested in the scientific answer too :)

My avatar
megansmummy
Cloth Nappy Goddess
Cloth Nappy Goddess

Postby megansmummy » Fri Aug 20, 2010 2:38 pm

I dont really think anything apart from how much they drink effects how much they wet...if you think of older children/adults...the more you drink the more you wee...the less you drink the less you pee...sure some people have different bladder control but you get the idea...

I also think it depends on your deffination of 'outpee' a nappy...i know there have been discussions on here before were someone says their child is outpee'ing a nappy but what they mean is that a fitted is wet on the outside or a pocket nappy has leaked (when only stuff with MF or something) :-?

Kieren has a 6oz milk am, sometimes in the afternoon and then bedtime, so thats 18oz of milk and then whatever amount of water he drinks per day (1 or 2 tommee tippee cups on average). I dont think he is a heavy wetter.

My avatar
tanya
Cloth Nappy Wise Woman
Cloth Nappy Wise Woman

Postby tanya » Fri Aug 20, 2010 2:42 pm

megansmummy wrote:I also think it depends on your deffination of 'outpee' a nappy...i know there have been discussions on here before were someone says their child is outpee'ing a nappy but what they mean is that a fitted is wet on the outside or a pocket nappy has leaked (when only stuff with MF or something) :-?

This is exactly my point Tory, thank you :) It's all relative.

Bella's nappies are soaked, to the point of being able to wring them out. I don't remember the last time a nappy was damp to the touch. And pockets are stuffed to the brim, which makes the fit bad. But when they come off, they've leaked round the legs and all the inserts are dripping wet. That's my definition of a heavy wetter :giggle:

My avatar
lazylexis
Cloth Nappy Worshipper
Cloth Nappy Worshipper

Postby lazylexis » Fri Aug 20, 2010 2:47 pm

Nathan drinks a fair amount of water during the day when I'm not there and :bf: when I am as well as drinking water! At night he will ask for :bf: and water as well.He's probably a moderate to heavy wetter during the day I think- he wets much more when I am home, due to the incr :bf: I think! But doesn't seem too bad when I am at work.
When I am at work he must drink less as BG stuffed with 2 EP hemp and a pd lasts 3-4 hours or so. A green kids with 2 double inserts can sometimes last 4 -4.5 hours. When I am home a DnF is soaked within 2 hours boosted with a green kids booster folded double. our FnS heavy wetter with a booster gives us about 3 hours I think.
Overnight we need to boost everything or we get wet wool. I also need to lanolise the wool every 2 or so wears.
I boost our customised pknn with 1 greenkids booster and 1 between nappy and wool.
Our LLS heavy wetter I boost with 1 pd, 1 gk booster and 1 ll night booster in the pocket with the insert and put an EP hemp between nappy and wool and then we don't get leaks.
Last week one of Nathan's night nappies weighed 500g more in the morning compared to the night before.
I think judging it by how long a nappy lasts without leaking is a good measure, or maybe how many nappies used per day but I guess it depends on the type of nappy u use!

Next

Return to Cloth Nappy Chat