hf1

Cloth in hospital

My avatar
HighlandMum
Cloth Nappy Aficionado
Cloth Nappy Aficionado

Cloth in hospital

Postby HighlandMum » Fri Aug 20, 2010 3:45 pm

What are everyones experience of using cloth in hospital after the birth? Did you wait until you went home before using cloth? If you used cloth in hospital did you ask about it before hand or just take your stash in regardless?

I will be having another section, and from what i can remember Sandy was handed to me in a teeny disposable for skin to skin contact, the nurses must have put him in it in theatre. I assume the nurse (i dont think it was dh) must have changed Sandy in the afternoon too, i took over once i was able to stand in the evening. Anyone have experience of the nurses putting a baby in cloth for them? I have the midwife next week so will ask if there is a hospital policy, but ideally i would like to use cloth from birth this time :) We didnt start with sandy until he was 23 months.

My avatar
eviesmummy
Cloth Nappy Ninky Nonk
Cloth Nappy Ninky Nonk

Re: Cloth in hospital

Postby eviesmummy » Fri Aug 20, 2010 3:49 pm

I know our hospital has changed its policies so that you bring in your own nappies and they dont provide them anymore - so if this is the case with your hospital, then they will have to use what you bring in with you :wink: Am sure your dh will be able to pop the nappy on if the midwives cant (well, thats what Im planning to do anyway :D )

My avatar
megansmummy
Cloth Nappy Goddess
Cloth Nappy Goddess

Postby megansmummy » Fri Aug 20, 2010 3:50 pm

No experience at all but i will be reading with interest as im pondering the same thing!! :giggle: The midwife put Megan and Kieren into their disposables in theatre but i had to take nappies with me (but never asked about cloth as i wasnt fussed about starting from birth) but i did have to get the nursing staff to help me with nappy changes after hubby left but lets face it if its something easy and your right there too then surley it woudnt be that hard for them? even if they just handed you the baby and you did it yourself?

My avatar
Kirstyh
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox

Postby Kirstyh » Fri Aug 20, 2010 3:52 pm

A few people here have had there babies put straight into a cloth nappy, I helped dress Gracie so could have done it but we didn't use cloth right away :(
Will they not let you labour at all, that way you might have a bit more say in what bubs wears iykwim, if not then just ask if he can be put in cloth right away.

My avatar
HighlandMum
Cloth Nappy Aficionado
Cloth Nappy Aficionado

Postby HighlandMum » Fri Aug 20, 2010 3:54 pm

Sy will not move from his seat while i am being sewn up in case he sees anything, i had to talk to him about formula 1 last time as i was petrified he was going to pass out :giggle: I guess i could ask them to hand me the baba without a nappy on and then get Sy to put one on in recovery?

I was really lucky last time that i could stand fine after i had my tea (im a determined so and so - typical nurse i ignored them when they told me to buzz for them first) so it would just be the first couple of changes i would need a hand with.

The choice of a section or a vbac is entirely mine Kirsty :) I think as long as i make a point of making my wishes known and a cloth nappy being available hopefully it wont be an issue :)

My avatar
LilMrsAverage
Cloth Nappy Aficionado
Cloth Nappy Aficionado

Postby LilMrsAverage » Fri Aug 20, 2010 3:55 pm

I'm planning to ask! - I'd quite like bubs to go straight into cloth - though I have been wondering how easily meconium will come off cloth?

My avatar
HighlandMum
Cloth Nappy Aficionado
Cloth Nappy Aficionado

Postby HighlandMum » Fri Aug 20, 2010 3:57 pm

I always use fleecy liners so i guess that i can always trow a couple of them away if it doesnt wash off?

My avatar
paintedclaws
Cloth Nappy Fanatic
Cloth Nappy Fanatic

Postby paintedclaws » Fri Aug 20, 2010 3:59 pm

I never asked about nappies before having Poppy but apparently the hospital has a limited amount of terries available that they'll wash too whilst you're there.

I just took our stash with us and started using it from her first nappy that Mike put on her. We ended up being in for 6 days after she was born because of suspected infection and mike took the dirty nappies home on the bus each day and dropped them back clean the next day.

I would just have a tiny pocket or something ready if you're keen to use cloth from the very beginning, something that if the midwife does sort the first nappy it'll be easy.

Noah didn't go into cloth until 8 weeks

Oh and meconium is really easy to get out of cloth, it didn't stain a thing. Infact it's the yellow poo that's horrid and difficult to wash out.

My avatar
caz88
Cloth Nappy Follower
Cloth Nappy Follower

Postby caz88 » Fri Aug 20, 2010 3:59 pm

Don't know if this helps but I had my baby in March and brought some prefolds with me. Hospital policy is to bring your own so once I had given birth skin to skin was without a nappy, then I was just left to it as it was busy...DP put the prefold on (badly but we were new to it). Had a wet bag so just put dirty ones in there, DP took them home at the end of the day. Was in hospital for 3 days cos of medical issues but just used my cloth, they were too busy to take much notice of what I was using. Although I didn't have a section maybe you could do similar if you wanted to?
I didn't think to ask whether I could use cloth though, I just brought my stash in instead of sposies. HTHs

Next

Return to Cloth Nappy Chat