hf1

Nappy balms

My avatar
fivefourfour
Cloth Nappy Fanatic
Cloth Nappy Fanatic

Nappy balms

Postby fivefourfour » Sun Aug 22, 2010 9:41 pm

I know that using barrier creams is a no-no with cloth, but every now and then when M has bad rash, I use a calendula based nappy balm, which is very like vaseline.

I have never found it to be an issue in terms of absorbancy, but I wanted to check and see if it's a problem or not, or if there is a product that is safe to use long term with cloth nappies.

Thanks guys x

My avatar
zoeyboo
Cloth Nappy Aficionado
Cloth Nappy Aficionado

Re: Nappy balms

Postby zoeyboo » Sun Aug 22, 2010 9:47 pm

We haven't had any rashes yet, fingers crossed touch wood!
But I often use balms/creams as a preventative, always after a poo and whenever there is a hint of redness or dryness.
I use Better Butt(er) and Diaper Rash Salve by Northern Essences but sadly these are almost impossible to get in the UK now and the shipping from the US is a little scary ... so more recently I've started to use Sheepish Grins Grinning All Over Balm, it's lanolin based so fab for his skin, I've never had a problem with using these with my cloth, they are all designed to be used with cloth so they should be fine. You can get the SHeepish Grins at Jabula Baby or I think Millies Nappies are getting some soon too.

My avatar
fivefourfour
Cloth Nappy Fanatic
Cloth Nappy Fanatic

Postby fivefourfour » Sun Aug 22, 2010 10:12 pm

Thanks Zoey. x

My avatar
emmalala
Cloth Nappy Wise Woman
Cloth Nappy Wise Woman

Postby emmalala » Mon Aug 23, 2010 1:39 am

I use the green baby nappy balm with no problems

My avatar
fivefourfour
Cloth Nappy Fanatic
Cloth Nappy Fanatic

Postby fivefourfour » Mon Aug 23, 2010 6:29 am

Oh, cool, thanks Emma.

We haven't seemed to have absorbancy issues (although I've always used it so wouldn't really know if we did, I suppose) but whenever I have said I use a nappy balm, other clothie people tell me I shouldn't. I suppose it's only proper barrier creams like Bepanthen then I have to avoid...

My avatar
zoeyboo
Cloth Nappy Aficionado
Cloth Nappy Aficionado

Postby zoeyboo » Mon Aug 23, 2010 6:58 am

fluffy_mummy wrote:I suppose it's only proper barrier creams like Bepanthen then I have to avoid...

Yes I would say generally avoid anything like this, obviously if you need to use them you should, but perhaps use huge fleece liners to stop it getting on the naapy itself?

My avatar
fivefourfour
Cloth Nappy Fanatic
Cloth Nappy Fanatic

Postby fivefourfour » Mon Aug 23, 2010 7:13 am

Yeah, good idea. We never use any liners, actually, but I do have some TB paper ones, and loads of olf fleece that I could make into liners. Seems a shame to cover up yummy minkee with fleece, though!

My avatar
littlesez
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Site Supporter

Postby littlesez » Mon Aug 23, 2010 7:54 am

hi just figured out who you are :wink: hope your ok :hug: I now use greenbaby balm with no probs and have used sudocrem in the past and dont think it mattered. i wouldnt worry :D

My avatar
zoeyboo
Cloth Nappy Aficionado
Cloth Nappy Aficionado

Postby zoeyboo » Mon Aug 23, 2010 7:58 am

fluffy_mummy wrote:Yeah, good idea. We never use any liners, actually, but I do have some TB paper ones, and loads of olf fleece that I could make into liners. Seems a shame to cover up yummy minkee with fleece, though!

I seldom use liners now as I have changed all my nappies to fleece, minkee or some other staydry lining. I have kept some fleece & minkee liners though, just in case he ever gets a sore bum & I need to use anything that isn't cloth friendly, worst comes to the worst they can be thrown out if they get clogged up!

Next

Return to Cloth Nappy Chat