Woolies ruined nappy HELP!

My avatar
Velvetsteph
Cloth Nappy Clanger
Cloth Nappy Clanger

Re: Woolies ruined nappy HELP!

Postby Velvetsteph » Tue Aug 31, 2010 9:33 am

charlibunny wrote:
Velvetsteph wrote:Have you washed it yet? I've never found that wool dyes have stained a nappy it has always washed out (thankfully!!)

No it is still sopping with pee in a nappy sack as i am too scared to set the dye in!! Cold rinse you think then wash??

Definately - like I said even black dye leaking onto a natural nappy didn't set...
I'd do a cool wash with your usual detergent (wash at 30 or your coolest wash) as even if that doesn't wash it out (which it should do) it won't set the dye...
Don't wash it at 60 until the dye is gone...

My avatar
peachy.moo
Cloth Nappy Fanatic
Cloth Nappy Fanatic

Postby peachy.moo » Tue Aug 31, 2010 9:35 am

Velvetsteph wrote:
charlibunny wrote:
Velvetsteph wrote:Have you washed it yet? I've never found that wool dyes have stained a nappy it has always washed out (thankfully!!)

No it is still sopping with pee in a nappy sack as i am too scared to set the dye in!! Cold rinse you think then wash??

Definately - like I said even black dye leaking onto a natural nappy didn't set...
I'd do a cool wash with your usual detergent (wash at 30 or your coolest wash) as even if that doesn't wash it out (which it should do) it won't set the dye...
Don't wash it at 60 until the dye is gone...

Yeah thinking about it managed to dye the inner of one of my HLBB pale pink, washed it a few times & it has gone...

Also if it's sunny, get it washed & hung out for the sun to do a bit to help!!

My avatar
eviesmummy
Cloth Nappy Ninky Nonk
Cloth Nappy Ninky Nonk

Postby eviesmummy » Tue Aug 31, 2010 9:49 am

That is so weird Charli :? Im sure I made that skirty about 6 months ago and have never had any dye leaks when Ive lanolised any of Beths yarns, and after 6 months of use and washing its so odd that its releasing dye now :?

Ive asked Beth and she says that acid dyes wont fix to cellulose so should wash out of the nappy.

If the skirt has started to bleed, then it needs to be hand washed warm to remove most of the lanolin (and for any excess dyes), soaked in vinegar solution and steamed to set any excess dye, left to cool and hand washed warm again.

HTH and that your nappy isnt ruined hun :hug:

Sadie xx

My avatar
megansmummy
Cloth Nappy Goddess
Cloth Nappy Goddess

Postby megansmummy » Tue Aug 31, 2010 9:54 am

I have had the same happen before and its washed right out of the nappies hun, i dont have any that have stayed stained from woolly dye :)

My avatar
Velvetsteph
Cloth Nappy Clanger
Cloth Nappy Clanger

Postby Velvetsteph » Tue Aug 31, 2010 9:56 am

I've also found that putting a splosh of vinegar in the water when you lanolise helps stop the dye from strong colours leaking when you lanolise and also when next to a wet nappy...

My avatar
charlibunny
Cloth Nappy Disciple
Cloth Nappy Disciple

Postby charlibunny » Tue Aug 31, 2010 10:10 am

eviesmummy wrote:That is so weird Charli :? Im sure I made that skirty about 6 months ago and have never had any dye leaks when Ive lanolised any of Beths yarns, and after 6 months of use and washing its so odd that its releasing dye now :?

Ive asked Beth and she says that acid dyes wont fix to cellulose so should wash out of the nappy.

If the skirt has started to bleed, then it needs to be hand washed warm to remove most of the lanolin (and for any excess dyes), soaked in vinegar solution and steamed to set any excess dye, left to cool and hand washed warm again.

HTH and that your nappy isnt ruined hun :hug:

Sadie xx

Ah gosh Sadie it wasn't a dig at you or Beth you know :oops: I think the nappy was THAT wet (it was dripping) that im not surprised the dye transferred :hohoho:
Don't think i would dare steam it etc, might just some of my 20 pink nappies next time and not white :oops:

My avatar
charlibunny
Cloth Nappy Disciple
Cloth Nappy Disciple

Postby charlibunny » Tue Aug 31, 2010 10:10 am

Velvetsteph wrote:I've also found that putting a splosh of vinegar in the water when you lanolise helps stop the dye from strong colours leaking when you lanolise and also when next to a wet nappy...

Must try that thannks :wine:

My avatar
beffys
Cloth Nappy Disciple
Cloth Nappy Disciple

Postby beffys » Tue Aug 31, 2010 10:14 am

Yep hun acid dyes don't fix to cellulose so your nappy will be ok. It'll probably take warm water to wash out. Cold water isn't very good at washing out acid dyes. So like 40C I'd say then, wash at 60 once you're happy. I'd be inclined to say it'll wash straight out at 60 as well as there's no real way for the dyes to fix to bamboo.

I've done similar where I picked up the wrong dye bottle of magenta (acid dye stock) and tried to dye OBV with it. It doesn't work, lol, all washes out. I had to overdye with procion MX.

It's probably that is was wet and nice and warm that any dye managed to leak out.

My avatar
charlibunny
Cloth Nappy Disciple
Cloth Nappy Disciple

Postby charlibunny » Tue Aug 31, 2010 10:16 am

beffys wrote:Yep hun acid dyes don't fix to cellulose so your nappy will be ok. It'll probably take warm water to wash out. Cold water isn't very good at washing out acid dyes. So like 40C I'd say then, wash at 60 once you're happy. I'd be inclined to say it'll wash straight out at 60 as well as there's no real way for the dyes to fix to bamboo.

I've done similar where I picked up the wrong dye bottle of magenta (acid dye stock) and tried to dye OBV with it. It doesn't work, lol, all washes out. I had to overdye with procion MX.

It's probably that is was wet and nice and warm that any dye managed to leak out.

Wet is an understatement, it was drowned and that was after less than 2 hours but thats a whole other moan i am about to do :hohoho:
Thanks for that info though Beth, its soaking in cold water and i must say it is now baby pink and not hot pink!!!
Might just wing it and bung it in with the others at 60 in a min, cant be emptying out 20 poo nappies and putting them back in the bucket or i might puke :oops:

PreviousNext

Return to Cloth Nappy Chat