hf1

Really need help and advice as at the end of my tether.

My avatar
Emma1977
Cloth Nappy Passionata
Cloth Nappy Passionata

Really need help and advice as at the end of my tether.

Postby Emma1977 » Wed Sep 01, 2010 5:47 pm

Over the last few days Max has suddenly developed a huge aversion to having a nappy put on him. It started a little while ago with his side-snapping fitteds. I think I put one on slightly too tight and he started crying, thrashing around and pushing my hands away. This got so bad that I have just been using pockets with him but he has started doing the same thing with these.

I just don't know what to do with him to encourage him that he's not gonna be hurt and to let him re-learn that its just a nappy change. I nearly ended up in :cry: this morning as the second I lifted his legs and put the nappy under him he started a high-pitched, stressful crying whilst frantically trying to get away from me and shoving my hands away. Just watching him act like this was really stressful for me.

What can I do. I'm thinking he may have to go in sposies for a short while ........ :cry: :cry:

My avatar
ktinkley
Cloth Nappy Addict
Cloth Nappy Addict

Re: Really need help and advice as at the end of my tether.

Postby ktinkley » Wed Sep 01, 2010 6:09 pm

Can you try to make it a game? DD got scared of the bath for a bit, so I let her play with all the bath related tings, until she got comfortable with it again. So let him play with the nappy - maybe put it on a teddy together and talk about how comfy the teddy is in his nice clean nappy.

Otherwise is it possible he might be ready to pt? :giggle: DS was 2 when he pt'd and was prob ready before that - it was triggered by him hating nappy changes, but I didn't act on it for about 4/5 months - just didn't occur to me at that age.

My avatar
ramsons
Cloth Nappy Nutter
Cloth Nappy Nutter

Postby ramsons » Wed Sep 01, 2010 6:14 pm

I think I'd be tempted to leave him nappy off at home and just use nappies when you have to go out. If he doesn't want to wear nappies for whatever reason he might like the idea of a potty. It does no harm to be nappy off for a while anyway. :hug:

My avatar
Chooky
Cloth Nappy Addict
Cloth Nappy Addict

Postby Chooky » Wed Sep 01, 2010 10:24 pm

If you have pockets can you put them on the biggest setting and slip them on like underwear, will that help? When they are on and he hasn't been hurt you can readjust them then IYKWIM
That helped DD when she went through a phase of hating cloth because of bad nappy rash

My avatar
beffys
Cloth Nappy Disciple
Cloth Nappy Disciple

Postby beffys » Wed Sep 01, 2010 10:28 pm

Ella went through a phase of this and the most annoying thing about it was at nursery she would just lie there and let them change her. I think it was more about pushing boundaries and challenging things with us for her. She would have been about the same age and it did get better again.

My avatar
lainey1978
Cloth Nappy Addict
Cloth Nappy Addict

Postby lainey1978 » Thu Sep 02, 2010 5:53 am

Amber does this. I guess with her it was about boundaries and trying to posh the limits. We're also loosly letting her use the potty. I leave her nappy off at home and try to watch for her cues!

My avatar
Freyarose
Cloth Nappy Lover
Cloth Nappy Lover

Postby Freyarose » Thu Sep 02, 2010 6:14 am

i have just gone throu a bout of similar behaviour from freya (althou wasnt triggered by a tight nappy, just by a 2 year old diva temper)
I have left her nappyless at home, and we actually was just swopping to cloth so all the fluff tempted her to wear a nappy when going out.. even now 6weeks after it started she will have the nappy put on for daytime but i will find her nakie bummed again 10 mins later, althou she has accepted going out = nappy stays on

My avatar
Emma1977
Cloth Nappy Passionata
Cloth Nappy Passionata

Postby Emma1977 » Thu Sep 02, 2010 8:50 am

Chooky wrote:If you have pockets can you put them on the biggest setting and slip them on like underwear, will that help? When they are on and he hasn't been hurt you can readjust them then IYKWIM
That helped DD when she went through a phase of hating cloth because of bad nappy rash

Yeah have thought about giving this a try and definitely think it'll worth a go now :D

beffys wrote:Ella went through a phase of this and the most annoying thing about it was at nursery she would just lie there and let them change her. I think it was more about pushing boundaries and challenging things with us for her. She would have been about the same age and it did get better again.

I did wonder if this was part of the problem (and I think it is a part of it) but he did the same thing with the ILs yesterday. I've sent his pockets with him today as well as some back-up sposies as I know that trying to change a struggling, and very strong, toddler can be a handful. I've also told the ILs to get the potty out so that Max can at least start getting used to having it around.

Wait and see how he goes today :crossbaby:

My avatar
Scotia
Cloth Nappy Disciple
Cloth Nappy Disciple

Postby Scotia » Thu Sep 02, 2010 8:53 am

Kerr does this too Emma, I think it's just a phase :hug:

It helps if I let him choose which nappy he wants to wear - turn it into a game and see how he goes :)

Next

Return to Cloth Nappy Chat