hf1

Don't shoot me but....

My avatar
Shevi
Cloth Nappy Passionata
Cloth Nappy Passionata

Re: Don't shoot me but....

Postby Shevi » Fri Apr 11, 2008 8:59 am

i commend you..especially for admitting it!!!
a few disposies a week is a great sacrifice to make for a good nursery where your child is happy. i'd do the same
:)

My avatar
Annette
Cloth Nappy Ninky Nonk
Cloth Nappy Ninky Nonk

Postby Annette » Fri Apr 11, 2008 9:34 am

Well you know that I use sposies occasionally and do believe they have a place - it doesn't have to be an all or nothing thing and actually when people realise that I find they are more willing to give it a go.

All I would say about the term "biodegradeable" is to take it with a bit of a pinch of salt - many things will degrade over time but once they are encased in plastic bin liners and buried in landfill, they can still take a very very long time to break down properly and most people wouldn't dispose of the poo properly either.

That doesn't mean to say that I don't think you are doing the right thing and at least as you say they are not filled with nasty chemicals that would affect Erin's bottom. It is only one day a week afterall as you say and it would be good to know they work for holiday.

My avatar
Velvetsteph
Cloth Nappy Clanger
Cloth Nappy Clanger

Postby Velvetsteph » Fri Apr 11, 2008 11:56 am

We did this to start with when Isabelle first started but then I discovered what nasty cheap ones they were using (boots own brand cheapy ones) and then that Isabelle kept getting evil rashes and marks on her legs from them and crystals on her skin - so I changed to using 100% cloth at nursery... It is a faff and they do keep cocking things up with them and they have also commented that as cloth doesn't smell so much you can't always tell as quickly when she's poo'd like you can in a disp... :roll:

I would LOVE to find an environmentally friendly disp that we can safely use on Isabelle but given they'd be for emergancies and hols I've not done any proper research :roll: so let us know how her skin is with them and what the leg cuffs are like (e.g. soft or scratchy)

My avatar
JanX
Cloth Nappy Aficionado
Cloth Nappy Aficionado

Postby JanX » Fri Apr 11, 2008 3:37 pm

you can get a free sample of the bambo nappy here:

http://www.spiritofnature.co.uk/acatalo ... ample.html

jan x

My avatar
karenandgeorgia
Cloth Nappy Wise Woman
Cloth Nappy Wise Woman

Postby karenandgeorgia » Fri Apr 11, 2008 4:25 pm

I'm another who believes dispo's have their place.

Love the new siggie too :D

My avatar
caeganol
Cloth Nappy Addict
Cloth Nappy Addict

Postby caeganol » Fri Apr 11, 2008 7:39 pm

Great siggy's
with regards to nappies----I think we should do what is best for self and the baby, so it really doesn't matter if she is in dispos and they are environmental friendly so whats the problem anyway.
xxxxxxxxx
sukhi

My avatar
HannahBanana
Cloth Nappy Passionata
Cloth Nappy Passionata

Postby HannahBanana » Fri Apr 11, 2008 8:07 pm

Velvetsteph wrote:so let us know how her skin is with them and what the leg cuffs are like (e.g. soft or scratchy)

Definitely. I did give them a thorough inspection first and read all the info they had. I did also say it's a trial only because of her skin.

Incidently her foo is sore today after it's been amazing all week so I don't think they change her soon enough or something. They use cotton wool and water on her at the moment but will supply the simple wipes, I've not tried simple yet so told them to stick with the cotton wool as some wipes are like nail polish remover!

My avatar
Velvetsteph
Cloth Nappy Clanger
Cloth Nappy Clanger

Postby Velvetsteph » Fri Apr 11, 2008 9:24 pm

I find Isabelle gets amazingly sore with just water and cotton wool - they're not always very gentle and I found poo on her skin numerous times when she's come home so I don't think they're as thorough as we are...

I supply our own wipes - and they now (after the lastest palaver) have a big sign up on the mirror by the change-mats saying which baby has it's own wipes, nappies, creams etc.

She might also need changing more often than their 'routine' - I insist Isabelle is changed every 2-3 hours even though I'd never need to do that at home :roll: I find she's cleaner this way...

Simple wipes: I would avoid these if you can - Isabelle was ok with them for a little bit but soon started getting rashes - they've not got a very high water content...
The huggies pure ones are pretty good as they're mainly water and I've actually been quite suprised that Isabelle's not really reacted to them much... She has a bit but only after several days use, horrible teething poos, horrible teething wees and molars on the way! (so she might have ended up with a rash anyway)

That's really fab that they will provide them though!

Also if she's getting sore from the nappies you could always put fleece liners inside them - might be a bit expensive in fleece liners but they could always pop them in a wee wet bag for you to take home... Tis easier for them to manage than full on cloth (like they're that hard tho'! :roll: ) :D

My avatar
HannahBanana
Cloth Nappy Passionata
Cloth Nappy Passionata

Postby HannahBanana » Sat Apr 12, 2008 8:09 am

Thanks hun. I was wondering last night (at 1am when she couldn't sleep because she was sore) whether the cotton wool was making them rub too hard.

I did ask them a couple of weeks ago to change her more often as she only had 2 changes one day. I think she should have at least 3 changes between 9.15 and 5ish

They've had a change about of staff since Erin started and I'm not entirely happy with the new ones. However she is 2 soon and moving rooms or leaving totally depending on my work situations because she can start play school which is loads cheaper.

PreviousNext

Return to Cloth Nappy Chat