hf1

Help!!!!

My avatar
vikki1982

Help!!!!

Postby vikki1982 » Sat Apr 28, 2007 7:47 am

I'm sorry for the mountian of questions as you can guess i'm a resusuable virgin, this is my 4th baby and I have decided to try them out on him.

I started off with prefolds and motherease wraps I have 24 prefolds and 8 wraps but i think the look very bulky esp for a newborn, it could just be that i'm folding them wrong??

Next i was given 20 kushies ultra which i think they are too hard for a baby (they are quite well loved)

Then yesterday I was given 36 shaped cotton nappies, they are lovely but i'm worried that they are not going to be as absorbant as they are only thin? They have a sewn in peice of terry but nothing else, would I need to use a booster with these and if so what type?

I have also been offered some tots bots and some little lambs I can see at this rate i'm going to have to get a bigger house just to put the nappies in lol

Sorry about the questions just really confused (it doesn't take much)

Vikki x

My avatar
clothmama
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Site Admin

Postby clothmama » Sat Apr 28, 2007 11:13 am

Hi Vikki, dont' worry about all the questions - its what we're here for!!

Prefolds - how are you folding them? The most successful fold for nb seems to be the bikini fold - I think thenappylady.co.uk has how to do it. I can't really help as I only use prefolds for stuffing pockets and boosting!

Kushies - I have not tried these as I've never heard a good word said about them, although there must be some people that get on with them as there alot sold!!

Shaped nappies - are they flat? Sounds similar to some Mothercare ones that I used when Louis was little. Your right they are not very absorbant but I foudn them great in the early days as I was changing him so often it didn't really matter. I then boosted them with a 3 layer terry fleeced topped booster and this really helped. You could use any type of booster, even a thick flannel. Are you using fleece liners? This really helps to keep little bottoms dry!

I'd grab the tots bots and little lambs, they are good reliable nappies that are pretty absorbant. do you know which tots bots they are? You'll again need to use fleece liners in these (unless the tb's are fluffles). If you dont' have any already you can just get a cheap blanket or an old fleece jumper and chop them up into rectangular or hourglass shaped pieces to cover the inside of the nappy. This really will keep your lo dry!

My avatar
vikki1982

Postby vikki1982 » Sat Apr 28, 2007 1:05 pm

Hi,

thanks for your reply, I haven't really tried folding the prefolds any other way except to make them into a long pad shape? As far as the shaped nappies they are from mothercare, are these any good? I have just wahed them to out them away until baby arrives and found them really easy to manage.

I think i have already made my mind up regarding the kushies as I find them very hard and rough.

I am loking at tots bots and little lambs but as i'm on quite a tight budjet i'm having trouble finding any at a price I can afford :(

Vikki x

My avatar
karenandgeorgia
Cloth Nappy Wise Woman
Cloth Nappy Wise Woman

Postby karenandgeorgia » Sat Apr 28, 2007 6:45 pm

Hi Vikki,

Try looking on ebay, this seller has a few on the go at the minute, a great way to pick up cheaper nappies!!!

Seller ID is mrfactory2nds.

Karen x

My avatar
clothmama
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Site Admin

Postby clothmama » Sat Apr 28, 2007 8:06 pm

Vikki, sorry I hadn't realised your baby isn't even here!! Why don't you introduce yourself on the section at the top of the forums and tell us all about you and when baby is due!!

I loved those mothercare ones in the early days, they dried quickly and as you only use them for short periods they are great, very slim too. I gave mine to my sil and she has told me they are her favorite (Flo was 3.5 weeks old at the time) so be happy you have them :D !

Why don't you look at the 2nd hand nappies on our nappy market or at thenappylady.co.uk as nb nappys are so littel used they are usually in great condition. I bought all mine bar 2 or 3 2nd hand in the 1st size. I went for the try one of everything option so I'd know what I'd want for size 2 (that they are in for around 2 years!!), I've still only got max of 2 of any one nappy type :oops: :oops: :lol: !!

Good luck and keep asking whatever you need to!!

My avatar
vikki1982

Postby vikki1982 » Sun Apr 29, 2007 8:29 am

Hi, have just done an intro on myself, would have probably been better if i did that first lol.

Anyhoo i have over 40 of the mothercare nappies so I was thinking about sewing two together to make them thicker? I have also just bought some tots bots for when the baby is a bit bigger.

I was sorting out my nappy stash yesterday and was quite shocket at how many different types I have lol think i'm becomming obsessed :shock:.

I washed all the mothercare ones yesterday and my whole line was full of bright white nappies, it looked lovely lol, my neighbours must think i've gone mad as they dont know that i'm expecting again lol. :P

Vikki x

My avatar
clothmama
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Site Admin

Postby clothmama » Mon Apr 30, 2007 6:10 am

:D :D hehehhe at least I know you haven't got your baby yet now!!!

Have the mothercare shaped got a kind of ribbed edging around them? tbh I wouldn't sew them together as they are so lovely and slim and when they are newborn as you know you change them all the time so they really are ok, it would be a much slimmer option to bost rather than doubling. I used 2 a couple of times at night as he started sleeping longer and it was quite chunky especially on the edges.

So what sort of tots did you get? What other nappies have you got? Have you got wraps yet? Motherease rikki are great on nb, you can even get xs which is so lovely and tiny!! I had 2 of the xs and 3 or 4 of the small.

My avatar
vikki1982

Postby vikki1982 » Mon Apr 30, 2007 7:42 am

Hi, what things could you boost with and do you just put it in aswell as a liner?

I have tots fluffles? think thats the right spelling lol and motherease rikki and airflow wraps, dont need xs as all my babies have been over 9lbs lol :?

the ones that i have dont have a ribbed edging, but they do have a terry bit sewn in the middle of the nappy, if that makes sence?

Vikki x

Return to Cloth Nappy Chat