hf1

WWYD - faulty nappy

My avatar
nappynutter
Cloth Nappy Fanatic
Cloth Nappy Fanatic

WWYD - faulty nappy

Postby nappynutter » Tue Sep 07, 2010 3:51 pm

I'm not sure if this should be somewhere else, so mods please feel free to move it if it is in the wrong place.

I don't want to identify anyone so have deliberately left out names.

I bought a nappy from an online seller. The nappy is faulty, the dye is not fixed properly and one of the poppers is in the wrong place. I pre-washed the nappy with a colour catcher sheet (as I always do) and there was quite a lot of dye in the sheet. I assumed any further loose dye would come out after washing it for a second time (as has been the case with other nappies in the past). I put the nappy on DS2 and when I took it off again I realised his bum was bright blue. I tried washing it off in the bath but after a few attempts it still hadn't come off so I contacted the seller to ask for advice. I also washed the nappy two more times with a colour catcher sheet in an attempt to remove the excess dye and emailed the seller a photo of the sheet from the third wash. The seller replied with some advice about getting the dye off DS2's bottom (which seems to have worked as after a few more goes it has all come off), and asked me to return the nappy.

Okay, so here's where it gets more complicated. DS2 is probably not going to be in nappies for much longer. I really like the nappy and would prefer to keep it if at all possible. I'm not too worried about the popper as I can fasten it on a looser setting and it's not likely that DS2 will grow out of the nappy before he toilet trains. It just looks a bit odd. I'm hoping that the nappy will eventually stop leaking dye before it fades too much so that will be okay too. If I thought the person who made the nappy would replace it quickly I would be happy to return it. The problem is that based on past experience I don't believe that will happen. I'm pretty sure if I send it back the person who made the nappy will just tell the seller to refund me. Even if they do agree to making another one I have no guarantee I would get it before DS2 toilet trains. Either way I could lose out, so it's not really a risk I'm prepared to take.

I thought it would be easier all round to just ask the seller for a small discount. I would have been happy with a discount on a future order but all the other nappies I like on the site are sold out, so I suggested a discount on this nappy instead. I thought that was pretty reasonable to ask.

Apparently that's not something the seller would ever consider so I now have to choose between keeping the faulty nappy having paid full price for it or getting a refund and not having the nappy at all.

What would you reply to the seller? Is my request reasonable? Should I just try to fix it myself?

My avatar
Soozi
Cloth Nappy Addict
Cloth Nappy Addict

Re: WWYD - faulty nappy

Postby Soozi » Tue Sep 07, 2010 4:10 pm

i think your request sounds reasonable.

i guess though that it is up to the seller as to there standard response in such a situation. i would i think contact them again and explain why, at the end of the day, the nappy has been used so they will not be able to sell it so i would have thought this is the best solution for the seller.

My avatar
LilMrsAverage
Cloth Nappy Aficionado
Cloth Nappy Aficionado

Postby LilMrsAverage » Tue Sep 07, 2010 4:12 pm

I think your request is very reasonable and personally would want to know what is unreasonable about it!

I think that seems to be a win win situation x

:hug:

My avatar
Caroline
Cloth Nappy Aficionado
Cloth Nappy Aficionado

Postby Caroline » Tue Sep 07, 2010 4:42 pm

LilMrsAverage wrote:I think your request is very reasonable and personally would want to know what is unreasonable about it!

I think that seems to be a win win situation x

:hug:

^wss

I think in that situation I would return the nappy for a full refund. Although you really like it, there will be other nappies...

My avatar
WeeNotions
Cloth Nappy Nutter
Cloth Nappy Nutter

Postby WeeNotions » Tue Sep 07, 2010 5:35 pm

I would send it back for a refund too.

My avatar
emmalala
Cloth Nappy Wise Woman
Cloth Nappy Wise Woman

Postby emmalala » Tue Sep 07, 2010 5:39 pm

I would send it back too

My avatar
fivefourfour
Cloth Nappy Fanatic
Cloth Nappy Fanatic

Postby fivefourfour » Tue Sep 07, 2010 5:39 pm

WTS.

I ordered some nappies from Hyena Cart and when they arrived, one of the outer seams had frayed a little. I contacted the seller (who also made the nappy) and she said she was happy to repair it. With the postage costs of sending it to America and back I said not too worry, and she refunded me $2.

Did you explain your reasons behind not wanting a replacement?

My avatar
beffys
Cloth Nappy Disciple
Cloth Nappy Disciple

Postby beffys » Tue Sep 07, 2010 5:46 pm

If you want to keep it you could try fixing it yourself for an hour in warm to hot soda crystal solution. You just need to wash it enough to strip the soda off afterwards obviously. It's not been fixed properly in the first place if it's leaking dye like that though. The only thing you have to be careful of is when you re-dye a piece of fabric that already been dyed, it can stress the fabric out too much, but I doubt that would happen if it wasn't fixed properly in the first place. Dye might leak ever so slightly for a couple of washes, but not so much that you would really notice and not enough to leak onto skin. Personally I'd send it back and ask for a full refund though.

What I don't understand when people sell nappies and the colours runs, is how they didn't wash it enough in the first place to notice the colours weren't fixed properly.

My avatar
Sally
Cloth Nappy Fanatic
Cloth Nappy Fanatic

Postby Sally » Tue Sep 07, 2010 5:48 pm

I'd send it back for a refund tbh, if the dye is still leaking after a few washes it's likely to continue I wouldn't want to risk it :hug:

Next

Return to Cloth Nappy Chat