hf1

Are there trends/fashions in the cloth nappy world?

My avatar
megansmummy
Cloth Nappy Goddess
Cloth Nappy Goddess

Are there trends/fashions in the cloth nappy world?

Postby megansmummy » Fri Sep 17, 2010 12:25 pm

I have been lurking on diaperswappers for a while now as its alot more 'mainstream' in the US to use prefolds/flat nappies than it is over here and i have been after some advice etc...and there was a thread on there that got me thinking...

Do you think that there are trends/fashions in the cloth nappy world? Or do you really go with what works/functionality? Or a combination of both? Do you think cloth nappies are a fashion item rather than anything else? I was thinking about peoples in countries that have no alternative BUT to use cloth nappies?

Would you still use cloth nappies if there wasnt the lovely WAHM's like Ems at puddlekins, weenotions, Beth and Amber at LLS etc etc etc?? if it was just really basic stuff?

My avatar
red_dwarf
Cloth Nappy Aficionado
Cloth Nappy Aficionado

Re: Are there trends/fashions in the cloth nappy world?

Postby red_dwarf » Fri Sep 17, 2010 12:30 pm

Personally i would still use them even if there wasnt the lovely WHAM stuff.

I wanted to use cloth because i didnt want all the horrid chemicals sat against my babys bum every day. Also I really begrudge throwing things away and I wasnt happy with all the extra waste I would create by using disposable. And the cost saving was another thing for me.

To me all the pretty fluff is a bonus, but I am more interested in what will work rather than what looks pretty, but if i can get something that works and looks adorable then happy days :wine: :wine:

My avatar
northernruth
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox

Postby northernruth » Fri Sep 17, 2010 12:33 pm

I think that totally there are fashions, how else to explain the success of Ittis which I could never get to work and which by the sounds of it aren't anyone's most reliable nappies?

We used a lot of Fuzzis and they were our favourite, lots of mates of mine just use motherease or Totsbots, so I think the lovely fluff is a bonus. We never really had many fancy nappies.

My avatar
paintedclaws
Cloth Nappy Fanatic
Cloth Nappy Fanatic

Postby paintedclaws » Fri Sep 17, 2010 12:37 pm

If I'm absolutely honest, I don't think I'd have given cloth a try had the choice been limited to plain nappies. So initially yes I tried cloth because I was blown away by the prettiness (started out with blueberry minky and itti dlish). I moved on to more plain ones in a bid to find something that worked with Noah. We then had problems with terry leaving welts on his thighs and loads of leaks, so in a last ditch attempt to make cloth work I gave WAHM made OBV nappies a try and as they worked so well didn't look back.

With Poppy, I was already addicted to using cloth but to keep the peace with Mike her newborn stash was pretty basic. Bimbles etc He wasn't keen on using cloth from birth so I bought it myself and wouldn't even buy a pack of newborn sposies. Now though her entire stash (bar 5 bgs that are for an 'emergency' and some limited ittis) is pretty.
I wouldn't say I follow the masses though, I use what I like and works well.

My avatar
HighlandMum
Cloth Nappy Aficionado
Cloth Nappy Aficionado

Postby HighlandMum » Fri Sep 17, 2010 12:40 pm

I would agree that there are fashions - it would explain why we have 6 (5 of which were bought brand new) wee notion pockets when we dont actually get on that well with them :oops: I have certainly tried things (like fancy fitteds) after joinin g this site that may not have been on my list of things to try at all had i not joined. That said, its not always a bad thing as its by trying different things we have found out what works for us.

Im not entirely sure that i would have kept going with cloth had i stuck to the cotton tots and fuzzibunz i was given in my starter pack.

My avatar
tanya
Cloth Nappy Wise Woman
Cloth Nappy Wise Woman

Postby tanya » Fri Sep 17, 2010 12:41 pm

I would use it even if there wasn't all the lovely stuff available, providing I could still get nappies that worked for my children - particularly Bella and her night nappies. I only use sposies on her now as I couldn't afford to change all her nappies again and she should be PT'ing soon, so it wasn't worth it.

There are trends/fashions. Quite noticable at times. And yes, I do get sucked in by them. But, at the end of the day, the nappies have to work for my children.

I wanted the "fitteds and wool" fashion to work for Jake, but it doesn't at all. He suits AIOs better. They are also easier for all concerned. I've not been able to use them before on Bella as she outpeed them easily, so wanted to try them. But, if they hadn't worked, we would have tried something else until we found something which suited him.

With Bella, the fashion changed from pockets to fitteds & wool, and I did move that way too, but more because I couldn't get pockets to work any more for us than just changing for the sake of it. And when her wool stopped working, we used fleece or PUL.

My avatar
Soupdragon
Cloth Nappy Worshipper
Cloth Nappy Worshipper

Postby Soupdragon » Fri Sep 17, 2010 12:42 pm

Absolutely there are trends. I think even in the short time that I've been a member of the forum there's been a move towards fitteds and away from pockets.

I had made the decision to use cloth when I thought that Bambino Mio looked like a good option. :hohoho: So, yes, we'd use cloth even if they were just plain white prefolds. Think we'd need hundreds of them, though, just to keep up with how often Iris would need changing if that's all we used!

As for functional vs. pretty, I opt for function every time; it's all about what I can get to work for Iris. And that can be a complete and utter pain.

My avatar
charlibunny
Cloth Nappy Disciple
Cloth Nappy Disciple

Postby charlibunny » Fri Sep 17, 2010 12:43 pm

I use what works. BUT saying that there do seem to be trends, especially on here. When i 1st joined it was all weenotions, then it went to holdens landings, then eveyone went mad for dunk and fluff and now it seems there is an easyfit trend too! But lets face it Annika is to blame for the last one..... :lol:

My avatar
JenKyleKaitlinRoo
Cloth Nappy Fanatic
Cloth Nappy Fanatic

Postby JenKyleKaitlinRoo » Fri Sep 17, 2010 12:45 pm

Yes I would still use them as long as they worked. With ds1 I had never seen pretty fluff and bought bambino mio's which didnt work for him at all :( They were boring but if they had worked Id have used them.

With dd all I wanted was a nappy that could keep her explosive poos in so went for functional again then moved onto pretty.

With Roo I was already on a slippery slope so he had a mix of boring (xs ME sandies, bambeasy etc) and pretty like Blueberry side snap pockets, itti's and many more.

In the last year Ive been sucked into fitteds and wool but we dont use the fitteds much :oops: I use them wrapless between dinner and bath or at home on the weekends but I never use them for going out. Wool we use every night so its almost justified :wink:

ATM Ive just had a clear out of things that dont work for us as well as others. I think though I would have still used cloth even if it was terries and wraps as I hate throwing money in the bin 5 times per day.

Next

Return to Cloth Nappy Chat