hf1

Are there trends/fashions in the cloth nappy world?

My avatar
beffys
Cloth Nappy Disciple
Cloth Nappy Disciple

Re: Are there trends/fashions in the cloth nappy world?

Postby beffys » Fri Sep 17, 2010 6:40 pm

Yeah that was actually a big factor for me. It felt like burning money and in the process making a lot of waste and taking up a lot of my energy. We used sposies for 3 months I think it was and it was about £16 a week and I had to carry them home on the pushchair, then up 2 flights. I went and ordered a stash instead without telling DH as I'd been talking about using cloth from mid-pregnancy and he totally poo poo'd me about it. MIL as well gave us tons of sposies and wipes that I ended up selling to buy cloth instead. :giggle: Much easier with cloth where the furthest I have to go is to my washing machine.

Of course I didn't have to tell DH I don't you so as he soon came round. :giggle:

My avatar
nappynutter
Cloth Nappy Fanatic
Cloth Nappy Fanatic

Postby nappynutter » Fri Sep 17, 2010 6:42 pm

megansmummy wrote:
beffys wrote:I think Tory's point was more any countries where people can't afford the luxury of having a cloth nappy that looks pretty and paying for that design value then, compared to something that plain and simple in form and function.

Thank you beth, this was exactly what i mean :) ...i would imagine there are plenty of people here in the UK that use cloth becuase they cannot afford disposables..perhaps i didnt word that bit right!!

I was just wondering whether these were likely to be countries were people normally EC and don't use cloth nappies.

My avatar
tanya
Cloth Nappy Wise Woman
Cloth Nappy Wise Woman

Postby tanya » Fri Sep 17, 2010 6:44 pm

Money was our original motivation. When DH gave up work to look after Bella, our income seriously reduced and we just couldn't afford to be throwing money away.

I still don't think it's cost us as much to cloth nappy Bella as it would have to keep her in sposies as we still would have been changing her a lot as she wees so much.

My avatar
megansmummy
Cloth Nappy Goddess
Cloth Nappy Goddess

Postby megansmummy » Fri Sep 17, 2010 6:51 pm

nappynutter wrote:
megansmummy wrote:
beffys wrote:I think Tory's point was more any countries where people can't afford the luxury of having a cloth nappy that looks pretty and paying for that design value then, compared to something that plain and simple in form and function.

Thank you beth, this was exactly what i mean :) ...i would imagine there are plenty of people here in the UK that use cloth becuase they cannot afford disposables..perhaps i didnt word that bit right!!

I was just wondering whether these were likely to be countries were people normally EC and don't use cloth nappies.

Morag, honistly i hadnt thought that far into it, it was just a general question really, wether paying for yummy fluff has an impact on cloth nappy use or wether people would still do it with the just basics...and that led me to think about the countries (and perhaps more appropriatly) the people that cant afford posh fluff etc.. I didnt even think about EC.

My avatar
123princesssammie
Sucker for Cloth Nappies
Sucker for Cloth Nappies

Postby 123princesssammie » Fri Sep 17, 2010 6:52 pm

My actually reason for using cloth as when alesha was a few days old we realised she was alergic to disposables and for a few weeks she just laid on a towel bottom half bare as i didnt have a clue about cloth or even wear to start, then i went and bought a mothercare terry set for £30 and she wore that for a good couple months (yes that includes plastic pants :giggle: ) untill i researched a bit more into cloth and found some tots on ebay preloved and then a few months later found CNT and discovered about the chemicals, and degrading times etc and was completly gobsmacked, i love the cuteness factor but its actually down to aleshas sensitive skin, but i intend to use cloth on all my babies and will prob stick to basics tbh, i have done the cute cloth and just kept getting bored and spending more which defeated the point of trying to save money aswell x

My avatar
Emma1977
Cloth Nappy Passionata
Cloth Nappy Passionata

Postby Emma1977 » Fri Sep 17, 2010 7:00 pm

I agree with the masses: that I would still have tried cloth if only the basic, plain nappies had been available as it was all about not having chemicals against LO's bum as well as the environmental impact. Yes, I hold up my hands and admit that I love pretty fluff and that most of stash is WAHM made but I am lucky enough to be able to fund building up a WAHM stash. My first purchases were Flexi-Tots, MEOS and a few BBOS. Then I found CNT and had a whole new world of cloth opened up to me.

If I couldn't afford the prettier WAHM fluff out there then I would happily use plainer nappies - and still do have some plain nappies (mainly pockets) as they work well for Max and at the end of the day, that is the most important thing. I wouldn't keep a nappy that didn't work/suit just coz its pretty.

My avatar
nappynutter
Cloth Nappy Fanatic
Cloth Nappy Fanatic

Postby nappynutter » Fri Sep 17, 2010 7:17 pm

megansmummy wrote:
nappynutter wrote:I was just wondering whether these were likely to be countries were people normally EC and don't use cloth nappies.

Morag, honistly i hadnt thought that far into it, it was just a general question really, wether paying for yummy fluff has an impact on cloth nappy use or wether people would still do it with the just basics...and that led me to think about the countries (and perhaps more appropriatly) the people that cant afford posh fluff etc.. I didnt even think about EC.

I think it's probably quite important to include EC in the discussion. I wonder how many people in the West would EC if there weren't nice cloth nappies. :wink:

My avatar
megansmummy
Cloth Nappy Goddess
Cloth Nappy Goddess

Postby megansmummy » Fri Sep 17, 2010 7:20 pm

nappynutter wrote:
megansmummy wrote:
nappynutter wrote:I was just wondering whether these were likely to be countries were people normally EC and don't use cloth nappies.

I think it's probably quite important to include EC in the discussion. I wonder how many people in the West would EC if there weren't nice cloth nappies. :wink:

I see what your saying but my question was wether or not people would use nappies if they couldnt have the pretty ones...

I know that EC is a fair option for a lot of people but i was asking about nappies :)

My avatar
nappynutter
Cloth Nappy Fanatic
Cloth Nappy Fanatic

Postby nappynutter » Fri Sep 17, 2010 7:26 pm

megansmummy wrote:I see what your saying but my question was wether or not people would use nappies if they couldnt have the pretty ones...

I know that EC is a fair option for a lot of people but i was asking about nappies :)

Yes, I get that and my answer is that perhaps some people would not use cloth nappies (and EC instead), if all they could get were prefolds/flat nappies. :wink:

PreviousNext

Return to Cloth Nappy Chat